jm1827

Finally decided to build my own...

Well, be warned, I finally decided to do my own build (and I am sure i will have many questions).  I must confess I am a complete newb when it comes to the AR-15 platform but I have been doing my research and Think I am ready to finally do a build. I have been shooting for 40+ years but never had my own AR, so I figured it was time.

I am really doing this build for the sake of doing a build.  I don't have any plans beyond punching paper at the range so I am kind of flexible in what I can build.

So, I am looking to do a basic budget build, probably going with a 16" to 18" barrel and would like a break (only because I think they they look cool), probably a 1:7 or 1:8 twist just so that i can handle heavier bullets. 

For this build I was thinking about getting a stripped lower and LPK and a completed upper assembly.

Thanks and looking forward for any input from you veteran builders!

i would suggest looking at forum vendor MidwestPX. his new lowers are solid, pinned pmags cant be beat, and i have heard nothing but good things about the rest of his branded parts. plus he has 1:8 barrels. always fast shipping and pleasant to deal with.

So plus 1 you have no idea.

Ty is a library of all things AR. Hella nice guy that is extremely customer service oriented. I enjoy spending my hard earned money with him.

C

Plenty of current subject matter is available on this forum from veteran builders and newbies regarding all types of builds.... Should do a search....

Sent from my iPad 2 using T2 Pro

Plenty of current subject matter is available on this forum from veteran builders and newbies regarding all types of builds.... Should do a search....

Sent from my iPad 2 using T2 Pro

Thanks, I did a bunch of searches and read through all of the stickies, and did a ton of research on line and read a couple of books.  That being said, even after doing all that research and watching a bunch of you tube vids I am sure I will still have questions.  There seems to be endless options!

Don't make it more difficult than it is. Because it IS easy. Determine what you'll be doing with it and build it just for that under what you can afford. Takes no time to build but forever to acquire the parts sometimes.

Thanks, I did a bunch of searches and read through all of the stickies, and did a ton of research on line and read a couple of books.  That being said, even after doing all that research and watching a bunch of you tube vids I am sure I will still have questions.  There seems to be endless options!

Don't make it more difficult than it is. Because it IS easy. Determine what you'll be doing with it and build it just for that under what you can afford. Takes no time to build but forever to acquire the parts sometimes.

THIS^^^^^

the hardest part is figuring out what parts you want and waiting for them to become available. once you get the parts you'll be gearing up for a full day of building only to be finished in a half hour. it is really kinda anti-climatic and disappointing. that is until you realize you have a new toy to play with!!

THIS^^^^^

the hardest part is figuring out what parts you want and waiting for them to become available. once you get the parts you'll be gearing up for a full day of building only to be finished in a half hour. it is really kinda anti-climatic and disappointing. that is until you realize you have a new toy to play with!!

Or build multiple in one day ;)

So my first question.  Delton or CMMG stripped lower receiver?   Is one better than the other, any input on either?

I can get them locally at a decent price, and one of the FFLs that I use frequently recommends both of them.

So my first question.  Delton or CMMG stripped lower receiver?   Is one better than the other, any input on either?

I can get them locally at a decent price, and one of the FFLs that I use frequently recommends both of them.

what is a "decent price"

what valdtepes said, what do you consider a "decent price"? like i said earlier check out midwestpx. his new lowers are sweet and the price is great for a billet lower. the little set screws for the takedown pin detent and bolt release and the upper/lower tension screw are nice features too. add a lower parts kit and you should be able to get the free shipping.

Hi Everyone,

So, I ordered a stripped lower, I went with the Delton, it should be in some time this week.  If i understand everything correctly, my next steps are finding a lower parts kit, a stock, buffer tube, buffer and spring and an upper receiver (I was planning on going with a complete upper receiver on my first build).

Also, if I understand the NJ laws correctly, if my stock is not fixed it needs to be pinned and if my barrel is threaded it needs a compliant device (breake, compensator) welded and or pinned.

Also if I understand everything correctly, if i don't have the lower receiver in my posession (I.e. still waiting for it to come in or at my FFL) I can take posession of a non compliant stock and or barrell and once I make them compliant I can then take posession of the lower receiver.  The other option is to purchase components that are already compliant.

Thanks and please let me know if I am missing anything (I am sure I am)

Hi Everyone,

So, I ordered a stripped lower, I went with the Delton, it should be in some time this week.  If i understand everything correctly, my next steps are finding a lower parts kit, a stock, buffer tube, buffer and spring and an upper receiver (I was planning on going with a complete upper receiver on my first build).

Also, if I understand the NJ laws correctly, if my stock is not fixed it needs to be pinned and if my barrel is threaded it needs a compliant device (breake, compensator) welded and or pinned.

Also if I understand everything correctly, if i don't have the lower receiver in my posession (I.e. still waiting for it to come in or at my FFL) I can take posession of a non compliant stock and or barrell and once I make them compliant I can then take posession of the lower receiver.  The other option is to purchase components that are already compliant.

Thanks and please let me know if I am missing anything (I am sure I am)

If you have your lower just bring the buffer and spring or the bolt to another location. That way you can not "complete" the rifle. Do your compliance work then bring the last part back home and assemble. Depending on how tall you are and what you want to do with the gun you should check out magpul fixed carbine stocks. For me, they are right where I would pin a collaspable one so that's what I will be using from now on until I move

If you have your lower just bring the buffer and spring or the bolt to another location. That way you can not "complete" the rifle. Do your compliance work then bring the last part back home and assemble. Depending on how tall you are and what you want to do with the gun you should check out magpul fixed carbine stocks. For me, they are right where I would pin a collaspable one so that's what I will be using from now on until I move

Thanks for clarifying, I guess I was thinking that if I had the stripped lower in my posession then I couldn't have a non fixed stock or threaded barrell.  This makes it quite a bit easier.

Thanks for clarifying, I guess I was thinking that if I had the stripped lower in my posession then I couldn't have a non fixed stock or threaded barrell.  This makes it quite a bit easier.

I am not a lawyer so don't go quoting me on that. Thats just the way I feel safe getting around the stupid laws here. 

Doies anyone have any experience with a DPMS Miculek compensators?  from what I have read, and for the $$ it looks klike a great deal.  I will most likely be ordering a complete upper assembly and since almost all of them come with flass hiders I thought I would just swap it out with one of these.

Thanks

Doies anyone have any experience with a DPMS Miculek compensators?  from what I have read, and for the $$ it looks klike a great deal.  I will most likely be ordering a complete upper assembly and since almost all of them come with flass hiders I thought I would just swap it out with one of these.

Thanks

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/66432-miculek-muzzle-brake/

A quick update.  I have the Delton lower receiver and I just got my lower parts kit from PSA,  just waiting on the funds to get an upper receiver, hopefully next month or so. 

Never thought I would ever be in a situation where I am "waiting on funds"  LOL, but having a daughter go to a private HS is killing me!

Well, my build is progressing slowly, mainly due to having 3 kids in 6 different sports and having to run them all over the state!

I am at a point where I am looking to buy a complete upper and have been looking at some of the PSA offerings, mainly because they are within my budget.  I plan on staying away from the PTAC stuff, as it looks like the PSA stuff is somewhat better quality.  I have a complete PSA BCG, LPK and the Delton receiver.

I am hoping to get the upper receiver this month then a linear comp to replace the flash hider and then a charging handle.

I am thinking about this-  PSA 16" Mid-length Freedom Stainless Steel 1/7 Dissipator - Without BCG or Charging Handle

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/psa-16-mid-length-freedom-stainless-steel-1-7-dissipator-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

Or possibly this-  PSA 16" M4 Premium SS12G2 - Without BCG or Charging Handle

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/psa-16-m4-premium-ss12g2-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

I know they are both completely different, but like I said before, my main goal is to build an AR for the sake of building it and both of these uppers look like they will do what I want, both are 1:7 twist, which is also in line with what I am looking for, one is stainless and the other is chrome lined, so either should be fine for what I need.

Is there anything I should watch out for with either of these, anything markedly better at a similar price?

Thanks in advance!

Not Familiar with the PSA stuff. And also not sure of your budget for the upper once its all said and done.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XSTU5050MLSDC&name=Spikes+Tactical+14.5%22+Lightweight+5.56%2f.223+DynaComp+Upper+Receiver&groupid=586

This is the upper I have. $650 Shipped. 1:7 twist as well. Includes the BCG and CH. Also, no need to purchase another muzzle device and do compliance work. I have not 1 complaint about this upper

Not Familiar with the PSA stuff. And also not sure of your budget for the upper once its all said and done.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XSTU5050MLSDC&name=Spikes+Tactical+14.5%22+Lightweight+5.56%2f.223+DynaComp+Upper+Receiver&groupid=586

This is the upper I have. $650 Shipped. 1:7 twist as well. Includes the BCG and CH. Also, no need to purchase another muzzle device and do compliance work. I have not 1 complaint about this upper

Thanks, I almost gave up finding NJ compliant uppers that don't need a muzzle device pinned.  I was hoping to find something a bit less expensive but after I figure in the compliance work this isn't that bad.

They have a few that are cheaper, from spikes also. This is what I thought was the best bang for the buck, and it came recommended to me. For reference, I was at CJRPC this weekend and hit a 2 liter soda bottle from 240 yards with a PRO and 3x magnifier on the first try. Just to give you an idea of accuracy.

I have another probably stupid question, can anyone tell me what's the difference between an M4 upper and an M4A1 upper?  I did a few searches and they all talked about 3 shot bursts vs full auto, both of which are a no-go in our state.

Thanks-