supranatural

Is there a secret to scoring cheap 22 ammo?

I also keep checking the LGS, especially Cheyenne and when I am working in PA Tanners, and Heritage Guild when I am in Branchburg or RY. Cheyenne had bricks for $35 last weekend, looked like they had quite a few.

It's definitely not getting easier or cheap. Heritage had bricks if Remington standar velocity for 44 and something called yellow jacket for 50.

Even the counter guy said its crazy to pay those prices. Unfortunately it's not the LGS it's the manufactures.

Thankfully I've been able to score a few thousand rounds for an average for .06 cents. Mostly fed bulk packs but at least it's something

Dicks has the best prices I've seen - if you can find it.  I check my local dicks once a week and I have a list of ammo I'll take.  If no 22, I'll get something else on my list.  However, their price on 45 colt just nearly doubled this month so their ammo prices might be coming in line with everyone else's.

Some Dicks are better than others - I have 3 within 20 miles of here and one always has far more ammo than the others two. (the gayest sentence I've ever written)

I have bought quite a bit of ammo by following gunbot.net but there are often quantity limits which drives the shipping price per box way, way up.  I find a deal that's worth buying every couple of months and check gunbot at lease every day.  I don't shoot much this time of year so I'm buying faster than I'm shooting.

Gunbot/Ammoseek/NJGF Deals...  be on all of them all the time, and when something pops up for $25/box (which isnt all that often), jump on it immediately..  have your FID on file to those places that require it ahead of time so you dont miss out..   and have your CC number in your hand so you can check out quickly before it goes OOS before you complete the order..  heh

honestly, its hit or miss..  my fathers been looking for 22 for a while now and he's never by his computer when i text him about an in stock 'deal', so he still misses out

I picked up several thousand rounds at .10-.11 per round, but down to just few thousand rounds. I'm not on here often enough to grab some when a member posts a deal. Always OOS by the time I see it. Hopefully prices will come down for a bit, but with summer around the corner the youth camps and Boy Scouts will be getting most of it again. Then again it's all if us who grab it as soon as it appears that continues the shortage and high prices.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/gun-nuts/2014/02/rimfire-ammo-shortage-continues?src=SOC&dom=fb

February 20, 2014

Rimfire Ammo Shortage Continues

By Phil Bourjaily

While supplies of centerfire and shotgun ammo seem to be catching up to — or maybe we’ve just reached the new normal — rimfire ammo remains scarce. And it goes fast when it does make it to dealers.

A friend of mine is on the waiting list for .17 Mach 2 at several online ammo retailers. The other day he received an e-mail at 4:05 from MidwayUSA telling him the Mach 2 was back in stock. By the time he logged on at 4:10, it was sold out. It literally didn’t last five minutes before it was all gone.

I asked an ammo industry insider about the rimfire shortage at SHOT. He was honest with me.

“Everybody is loading rimfire as fast as they can with the machines they have,” he said. “The problem is, the margins on rimfire are so low it doesn’t make sense to invest in new equipment and expand production. We’ll catch up eventually.”

His best guess? Ammo makers hope to be caught up sometime later this year.  What I want to know is where this ammo is all going. Are people shooting it, are they hoarding it or speculating?

What I do know is that it’s not good for the shooting sports when the ammunition that’s traditionally the cheapest, easiest to find, and most fun to shoot is in short supply.

Truth is I don't think they'll ever catch up.

I asked an ammo industry insider about the rimfire shortage at SHOT. He was honest with me.

“Everybody is loading rimfire as fast as they can with the machines they have,” he said. “The problem is, the margins on rimfire are so low it doesn’t make sense to invest in new equipment and expand production. We’ll catch up eventually.”

When a $15 brick of ammo is selling for $25-$50, somebody in the chain is happy with the margins.