Jfoster99

Conducting a Firearms class at a temporary business location?..

I think I know the answer here but is there any way I can legally conduct a training class ( with actual Handguns) at a location other then my home, the range or a permanent business location.

I would like to be able to rent a conf. room someplace to conduct the training.

Is renting a conference room at say the local VFW hall an option? ( doubt it)

However, I was thinking one of the time share type office retails.... Where numerous tenants rent the space and you reserve it the days you want to use it.... I could likely get an actual lease, and everything.

Any thoughts?

paraphrasing "nothing in this subsection shall prevent an owner from keeping a firearm at his place of business..."

But since you're not going to be shooting there, what exactly is the point of using real handguns?  Safety can be taught without them.  If you're teaching cleaning, this I could see as being a valid reason.

I think I know the answer here but is there any way I can legally conduct a training class ( with actual Handguns) at a location other then my home, the range or a permanent business location.

I would like to be able to rent a conf. room someplace to conduct the training.

Is renting a conference room at say the local VFW hall an option? ( doubt it)

However, I was thinking one of the time share type office retails.... Where numerous tenants rent the space and you reserve it the days you want to use it.... I could likely get an actual lease, and everything.

Any thoughts?

Call RTSP . .....   They built 3 small classrooms specifically for this use......  already set up with monitors with NRA Basic Pistol Powerpoint loaded in..... 

Call RTSP . .....   They built 3 small classrooms specifically for this use......  already set up with monitors with NRA Basic Pistol Powerpoint loaded in.....

I doubt they would rent a classroom. Don't they conduct classes? Kind of like helping your competition. If they would rent the classroom they might make the rental fee so high you would have to charge a lot more than everyone else does.

I doubt they would rent a classroom. Don't they conduct classes? Kind of like helping your competition. If they would rent the classroom they might make the rental fee so high you would have to charge a lot more than everyone else does.

Actually.... That is exactly why they have those classrooms... For independent NRA instructors to hold classes......

Introduce new shooters to their range

Sell guns and memberships to new shooters

Actually.... That is exactly why they have those classrooms... For independent NRA instructors to hold classes......

Introduce new shooters to their range

Sell guns and memberships to new shooters

Okay then. Never been there. Not familiar with their operation.

As 67Gtonut said, we do rent out all of our classrooms to outside instructors.  Instructors must be insured, name RTSP as other insured and have proof that they are certified to teach the course they are instructing on. See below:

CLASSROOM #5 – W/O AV SUPPORT

·      1-4 Students

·      $25/HR

·      $50.00 Range/ 1HR - 1 port

CLASSROOM #3 &4 – WITH AV SUPPORT

·      8 student max per classroom

·      $50/HR

·      $90.00 Range/ 1HR-1 port

CLASSROOM #2 – WITH AV SUPPORT

·      9 student minimum/ 20 student maximum

·      2 Instructors must be provided

·      $75/HR

·      $180.00 Range/ 1HR with 2 ports

CLASSROOM #1 –WITH AV SUPPORT

·      21-50 students

·      20-30 students requires a minimum of 3 instructors

·      31-40 students requires a minimum of 4 instructors

·      41 or more students requires 5 instructors

·      $150/ HR

·      $360.00 Range/ 1HR with 4 ports

That is correct. So let's look at it, if you teach a first steps type class and charge your students say $150.00 for the four hour class. Well that classroom costs $25 an hour x 4=$100.00 and $50 for the range = 150.00. If you get the max for the room 4 students, it looks like you are making profiting $450.00 every 4 hours you teach.

Sorry, didn't mean to come across as complaining. The arithmetic is appealing, even if the class is set up as less minimalist than you propose. I am curios though why the jump to $90/hr for range time for other options. But it's your facility, so your rules ( and I've shot there.. Great range)

G

Did not take it that way at all, please if you have a better idea or suggestion I would love to here it. If you like, my personal email and number are below. Nothing is set in stone with us, we are learning on the fly.