Sign in to follow this  
DJNEB

What is a good, reliable ak style rifle?

I have been interested in a 7.62x39 ak style rifle for some time.  I already own a GSG but that is a 22.  I am aware of Saigas and WASRs, and know that Saigas are typically more expensive, but what should I expect to pay for both of these?  Also, is it true that Saigas do not come in wood furniture; as I love the look of it over the black synthetic.  Are there any other ak style rifles, in 7.62x39 that are reliable, yet are not very expensive?  I was hoping to spend in a ideal world around 500 or 600.  Also, as I have never really looked for them, are the ammunition for these easy to locate?  I am familiar with Sportsman Center, Cheyenne, Dicks, and my current range, Ready Aim Fire as far as ammo purchases.  What is also the going rate for this ammo?  Any help would be awesome.  Thank you! 

http://www.classicfirearms.com/paprifle-2

Good starter AK already NJ compliant and comes with 30 mags, quite afew members ordered these lately . wont last long

Ammo is plentiful @ .21 cents a round online

This might be a dumb question, but how does one go about buying something like that online?  Do I go to a gun shop and tell them the link?  How does that work, I never ordered a gun online before.

That is a nicely made single stack rifle that OG farmer linked you to, but if I were you I would get a double stack AK. 

A double-stack AK is referring to the magazine. It is 'double-stacked' inside the mag, versus a single stack mag. Some AK's come into the US as single stacks and then importers/companies open up the mag wells to accept double stack mags. Double stack mag AK's are the most common. Single stack are a small percentage, and for the most part, only really bought up by states with strict laws (NJ, CT, NY, CA).

Nowadays there are some nice rifles in the $600+ range. Yugo's are a great bang for the buck (M70's) and they can be ordered for around 600 bucks before shipping and all that. Check out ClassicArms, J&Gsales, Aimsurplus, etc. Realize most will have to be made legal for our state, so you will have to find an FFL or someone to do the work (weld muzzle brake, shave bayonet lug).

There are a few threads that relate to all your questions, so go back in time in this AK-rifle discussion section and you should be able to find more answers in detail.

Get a double stack ak. Stay away from wasr 10's. A romanian sar is a great rifle for the money. I highly recommend gun broker. If you get in to the 7.62x39 you should really get an sks to go with your ak.

why stay away from wasr 10? i abused the crap out of 2 of them and they are still fully functioning.

what makes you say this claim?

why stay away from wasr 10? i abused the crap out of 2 of them and they are still fully functioning.

what makes you say this claim?

because some WASR guns are decent... and some are awful.. one came into a friends gunshop once and the action felt like it was polished with rocks and a hammer.. 

because some WASR guns are decent... and some are awful.. one came into a friends gunshop once and the action felt like it was polished with rocks and a hammer..

isnt ak's suppose to be the work horses, not the pretty ar barbies? for less than $500, how nice can they possibly make it

If you do buy a WASR go with the 10/63 Romanian made double stack of course. And make sure its built from 2008 to present day. The models before 08 are the ones riddled with issues and poor quality internals. I have one built after 08 everything inside the gun looks great and functions beautiful. I took three of them apart in the store before I picked the one I purchased. I know what I'm looking at, & for though. You may not have that knowledge yet. Do your research prior to purchase. I've had zero issue with the rifle thus far & put about 500 rounds through it. Ammo prices vary from different sources but very affordable when you compare to other "scary black rifles". I paid $650 for mine when I picked it up this past October from a local dealer.

I wont even argue about the furniture quality because it sucks. I'm surprised I didn't get splinters from it lol. Iron Wood designs is in my WASR's future.

Sent using Tapatalk 2 NOW FREE!!!

isnt ak's suppose to be the work horses, not the pretty ar barbies? for less than $500, how nice can they possibly make it

sure.. it should be a work horse.. but a gun can be a work horse.. and still have straight sights.. a smooth action.. decent trigger.. etc....

As long as you can handle a WASR before you buy it, and check for any issues, I have no problem with them. Sure, they are bottom of the barrel AKs but most will fire, function, and shoot pretty decent.

I'd still suggest spending another hundred or two hundred bucks and getting something a bit better.

I just picked up a Saiga IZ132 for under $500 and plan on getting my own wood furniture for it.  Put a few hundred rounds through it yesterday without a single issue. No problem hitting 16oz water bottles at 50 yards with the iron sights.