Bully

30-06 Recommendations

I'm beginning the search for a bolt action 30-06 rifle. I'm looking for recommendations on what to buy as I have no experience with the round. I'm looking for recommendations on everything from manufacturer to barrel length and twist. Also, glass... no solid idea on what to put on top of one.

I'd like to stay around or below 800 bucks, without scope. Hopefully I can stay well south of that.

This won't be a heavily used gun. I'm looking for a rifle to hunt but I wont be trekking through the woods for untold miles, just hiking to a stand. I will use it at the range for plinking but not extensively. I may try and hit steel at 1-300 yards if I get the time. If not no problem for me.

I prefer wood. Generally I like laminate for stability and looks but walnut/other hardwoods will suffice. I will consider synthetic if it makes more sense.

I would like to stay away from the bargain bin guns. My friend has a Ruger American and it shoots well, however it's not what I'm looking for. I like "pretty" guns. The unfortunate conundrum of champagne taste on a beer budget.

Also, I do reload, and I reload 300BLK, so I have the bullets already. It will help keep costs to a minimum.

I've seen the Mossberg 4x4, shot the Ruger American, and really like the CZ offerings but am seriously in need of help. Thanks in advance.

Christopher

Look at the Savage line.  Out of the box the most accurate rifle you'll find JMHO!

Scope I'll show you $250 Jap glass that can't be beat for hunting.

I suggest the Savage 10/11 and 110/111 series as well.  IMO stay away from the Savage Axis, it's on a par with the Ruger American.  The Savage will get you equal quality to the Rem 700 at a lower cost.  Some people like the AccuTrigger, some don't, there are older models on gunbroker etc that do not have the AccuTrigger.

I suggest the Savage 10/11 and 110/111 series as well.  IMO stay away from the Savage Axis, it's on a par with the Ruger American.  The Savage will get you equal quality to the Rem 700 at a lower cost.  Some people like the AccuTrigger, some don't, there are older models on gunbroker etc that do not have the AccuTrigger.

I've seen some excellent accuracy with the Axis in 243.  There are things I don't like about it though.  The plastic fore end is spindly and flexes.

The action and trigger seem fine but the stock doesn't do the rest of the rifle justice.

A Rem 700 is a fine rifle but some require work to shoot well.   In a Savage the barrel and bolt head can be changed if you want to change caliber and it doesn't require gunsmith machining.

Also, consider your choice of cartridge. For under 300 yards, anything but moose and brown bear, the .308 would work as well and possibly better, cheaper, with less recoil, etc, etc

That said, I'm a big fan of the Savage platform. I dislike the 700's extractor. If you want cheap, look at the Stevens line, which is basically the last generation of the Savage lineup, but really the Savage guns are cheap enough. They also come in "pretty".

Love my Savage 308's. Also consider the Remington 7600 / 7400 series. The 7600 is a pump action with detachable magazines. You can get 10 round aftermarket ones for about $35. In 30-06 it comes in a carbine or a 22" barrel. If you go up to Davis Sporting in Sloatsburg, you can typically find a lightly used one for under $500.

+1 on the 700 [The 700 Classic & 700 Mountain Rifle can be pretty.]

+1 on the 760/7600/6 pump. [unconventional compared to a bolt, cool in a utilitarian way, surprisingly accurate thanks to a free-floating barrel, light and handy to carry, can be found in carbine or rifle barrel lengths, after-market kits are available like a drop-in Timney trigger enhancement for the trigger group for $90 (or buy the Remington Competition Sping to reduce the pull to 3.5-4# for $8 and deal with the creep) and after-market stocks of all styles available.]

Used-models for both are plentiful. .30-06 is plenty of cartridge for hunting most North American game if bullet choice is selected properly for the game at hand and range is not preposterous.

Well, here's where I'm at...

I have a friend that is selling his Sako A7 in 30-06.  I just need to get a price and shoulder it.

I have a shot at a 700 for an AWESOME price.  Like, an AWESOME price.

I am in love with the way the Tikka T3 Hunter looks and it gets great reviews.  I just need to see one in person.

C

Well, here's where I'm at...

I have a friend that is selling his Sako A7 in 30-06.  I just need to get a price and shoulder it.

I have a shot at a 700 for an AWESOME price.  Like, an AWESOME price.

I am in love with the way the Tikka T3 Hunter looks and it gets great reviews.  I just need to see one in person.

C

I have a Tikka T3 Hunter in '06 with a stainless fluted barrel in the factory Mossy Oak stock that has been Duracoated. I added the Tactical Bolt Handle and installed a metal lug shroud. A MacMillian stock is in the near future for it. It has one of the smooooothest actions I've handled outside of some 'professional' grade sniper rifles that were tweeked. Even still, the Tikka can holds its own with them. The price for the plastic magazines is steep IMHO. You would think Armalite was making them.

Why no love for the Winchester Model 70?  I've always been a fan of the 70.

The Win. M70 Super Grade is a nice looking rifle, with some custom touches, but it's not inexpensive. (The pre-64 M70's continue to escalate in price.)

Model-70-Super-Grade-MID-535203-l.jpg