david8613

how important is a reticle that is daylight viewable on a variable scope?

how important is a reticle that is daylight viewable on a variable scope? Is an etched reticle good enough in bright situations? The reason I ask is because im torn between 3 variable scopes, vortex pst, leatherwood cmr4 which have reticles that are not viewable in sunlight, were the mueller speed shot is viewable in sunlight.

They are all visible, the issue is how quickly. In my opinion most of the scopes in the price range you mentioned do not really have daylight visible illumination. Pretty much every scope under $1000 has crummy illumination, specially in bright daylight. In the shade, indoor, etc they all work ok.

To my mind because of this you want a very bold reticule in a scope with not very good daylight illumination. I think out of the 3 you listed the PST is probably the winner. At least for my eyes it is.

Sorry pizza bob I meant lighted reticle, so I really wanted to know in bright sunlight is it important to have a lit reticle? Im really stuck between the vortex pst and leather wood cmr4 which is the newer version of the cmr. Take a look at the reticles and tell me what you think.

Leatherwood cmr4 CMR4-Reticle-Reduced-1-1.jpg

vortex cmr4 Vortex_Viper_PST_1-4X24_Rifle_Scope-TMCQ

Visible and usable are two different things! I want daylight usable. Meaning it don't get washed out in full sun. If shooting fast is what you are afer, you need an illumination level you can pick up quickly. This is where you will see references to scopes that are "aimpoint bright". My Elcan Specter and my Schmidt and Bender Short dot are both daylight usable "aimpoint bright".

I think im gonna go with vortex pst 1-4x24 the wararanty cannot be beat plus customer service I hear is excellent. I need to ask now what is preferred mrad or moa?

Which can you do the math in your head faster for. Myself I can do MOA math faster overall for a .223/5.56 cartridge between 0 and 400 yards. 

Here's a page on the math for both http://www.scribd.com/doc/4617008/Mils-and-Moa-Simplified

I've got inches in my head for size familiarity, and mils are 3.6" per mil at 100 yards, finer than that, and you are going with fractions of a mil. I just find MOA to be easier to create mental look up tables and skip most of  the multiplying and dividing. If you are doing holdover via the reticle, this makes sense to me. 

Just don't expect to much from the illumination on that one. I know two people that got it and then sold it due to the illum. On mill vs moa, Im not sure it really matters all that much at minute of man distance BUT if you also shoot LR, then staying in the same system has advantages. Im a mil/mil guy.

I gotta ask then what is the step up from the vortex pst that is aimpoint bright on a budget?

Depends for what purpose. Generically 1-4x or 1-6x?  Probably the cheapest will be the Meopta K-dot at around $1000, but if you are going to spend that kind of money spend $1400 on the Viper 1-6x HD.