tommyfeds

I need to be blunt.....Leapers Optics....

...are they crap?

Im looking to put something on my AR for shooting at 200 yards. I will preface this with........Im not LE, I dont fight in wars and I do not use my AR for home defense. I take it to the range during the day, it goes bang and then I take it home and clean it.......sometimes. 

Ive been looking at the "bug buster" 3-9x32. (I kinda hate the name) Amazon has 422 reviews at 4 1/2 stars. Of course I haven't read ALL of them and Im sure some of them are from airsoft people and some are on .22's but there are also plenty of people who have them on their AK's, AR's and I just read one on a Mini-14 who rated them at 5 stars. 

If I just do a web search I find people on other forums saying they are pieces of sh*, dont do it, buy once cry once, spend no less than $200, yada yada yada. 

I did search here and only found maybe one or two people who use them and they seem happy. 

Anybody have some experience with these?

Thanks,

Tom

Yes. For that price you can get so much better

Forum member turned me on to this.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-P-223-3-9x40-Mate-BDC/dp/B006YVT0R8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

>$200, nice reticle, good quality. I got the 4-16 for $199 and there is a fixed 3x for 150ish. You should hit 200 yds with a 3x

not crap at all.  i was running a 4 power on my AR and had no issues at all.  my friend has the same one his AR; again no issues at all. we go out to Fort Dix and have a great time.

the only reason i changed mine is that i changed to a 1x4 to get setup for 3-gun.  otherwise it would still be on there. Also have one of there red dots. for 49 i am not complaining at all.

are they hit and miss? cant tell you cause my 2 purchases from them have been trouble free.

Yes. For that price you can get so much better

Forum member turned me on to this.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-P-223-3-9x40-Mate-BDC/dp/B006YVT0R8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

>$200, nice reticle, good quality. I got the 4-16 for $199 and there is a fixed 3x for 150ish. You should hit 200 yds with a 3x

This is far better for moderately more money.

The Nikon looks really nice.......I have plenty of Nikon glass at home for my other shooting hobby.

Ill need to pick up rings as well for the Nikon Im guessing. which will put the total cost over $200. The Leapers comes with rings.

Im going to keep this NIkon as an option but still hoping some others chime in with personal experience.

But this thread is exactly what I find all over.........seems to be a love 'em or hate 'em situation.  

Looking to spend a little less? Try these:

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-Arms-Rifle-Scopes-s/919.htm

I can vouch for these.... they are excellent. no problem making hits at 300 yards at 6x, I don't have access to bigger range, but I've read reviews with success out to 600 and beyond. the 1x is very effective as well and can be used as a red dot for up close, although I do prefer to run a micro red dot on top of mine and just leave it at 6x at all times. I would have to say the best part is the accs reticle, very sweet design with reliable hold overs and bullet drop with m193 ball ammo.

202a4cd1-3e9d-40f5-89d6-79f3dee01ee4_zps

I can vouch for these.... they are excellent. no problem making hits at 300 yards at 6x, I don't have access to bigger range, but I've read reviews with success out to 600 and beyond. the 1x is very effective as well and can be used as a red dot for up close, although I do prefer to run a micro red dot on top of mine and just leave it at 6x at all times. I would have to say the best part is the accs reticle, very sweet design with reliable hold overs and bullet drop with m193 ball ammo.

Very sweet setup, this is eventually what Im going for, scope with a small red dot on top. Can you tell me where you got that red dot scope mount? I know burris sells one for about $75 I think. 

Thanks!

pardon me for the quick hijack..how do you like that VLTOR setup?

After using the google a bit more, the Vortex Crossfire seems to be the direction Im leaning. I have one more question/opinion however......

2-7x32

or

3-9x40

Its a $10 difference, no biggie. Is a 40mm lens just going to be much brighter? Or does it give a larger "picture" or field of view? (sorry, not too familiar)

Thanks again, Im glad I posted this as I was very close to just going with the Leapers. Which I dont think would have been bad, just a crap shoot on their QA. 

I have the "bug buster" and I've been really surprised at how good it is.  There are always people that are the "its not an ACOG so its garbage"  that review things but for the $$ this optic is really clear and holds 0 on my AR.  If you are looking to use it at the range for fun, its a great optic.  I have about 1000 rounds with it now and I really have nothing bad to say about it besides the adjustment clicks could be more precise.  Definintely much better than I was expecting. 

Very sweet setup, this is eventually what Im going for, scope with a small red dot on top. Can you tell me where you got that red dot scope mount? I know burris sells one for about $75 I think.

Thanks!

its made by gg&g, I think its called the b-comp , Do a quick search on ebay for gg&g b-comp they run about 50-60 bucks. they don't advertise that it fits the vortex red dot, but it does, the vortex has the same base as the trijicon rmr

pardon me for the quick hijack..how do you like that VLTOR setup?

absolutely love it, I think its the sexiest rail around. the only drawback was I had to do some surgery to use my Adams arms piston. I love that you don't need proprietary hardware to install a handguard, its just a quick delta ring hookup. it can be tricky however if you're into cowitnessing irons with optics, but there are plenty of solutions out there, I decided to go with the 45 degree irons.

Thanks for the responses, Quick update..............I just hung up with optics planet and ended up with the Nikon P-223 3-9x40 with a free set of Nikon P-series scope rings AND free shipping, no tax out the door for $181

I thought that was a good deal. I honestly really liked the Crossfire II recommendation and I was all about going with that scope, after factoring in rings and shipping I would have been at the same price. From the reading I did, I think the Nikon may be a touch above the Crossfire at this price point. 

Now Ill need to look for a micro red dot and a mounting solution in the future. 

hmmm.......interesting. I already have a StrikeFire so I was looking for something even smaller like a fastfire. But that Mount looks perfect. If you want to split it up, let me know, Ill take just the mount off your hands.

Thanks!

fyi I put the mount and other stuff up for sale in the classifieds.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk