ogfarmer

2014 Hunters Ed Field Days

Those looking to get their Hunter Safety cards, the first dates for classes are posted and filling up

https://www.nj.wildlifelicense.com/ALS/course/course_report.php

Be aware there are changes to the Hunters Ed this year and they are explained at the following two links

http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/hunted.htm

http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/firearms_coursefaq.htm

Maybe I'm missing something but it looks like there is no longer a separate rifle class --  Looks like you would have to take shotgun all over again for a rifle license 

I don't see any way to get a rifle license --  They do have an advanced muzzy/rifle but really unclear what that is

The official statement from the Division:

The NJDEP Division of Fish and Wildlife is proud to announce that starting this spring, the shotgun and rifle/muzzleloader classes have been merged into one single FIREARMS class. This new class will now cover shotgun, modern rifle, muzzleloader and the recently approved air gun! The live fire portion of the class will be completed with the shotgun only.

The new versions of the manual and workbook are currently available for download at on the Division's website and will be at stores later this spring. Current print versions of the workbook are still valid, but students taking the new Firearms course need to complete both "Shotgun" and "Rifle/Muzzleloader" sections.

Current shotgun hunters will not have to take this new class in order to purchase a NJ Rifle Permit.

An optional advanced muzzleloader rifle course will be made available in the fall for those looking to further their knowledge on muzzleloader rifle hunting.

For more information , to download the materials, and to register for a field session/exam visit http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/hunted.htm . Avoid the fall rush. Take a class this spring. March classes are now open for registration!

So is there still a separate rifle license?

my son will be happy being a current shotgun license holder -- now he's good for rifle and muzzy 

I just re-read your post -- no separate class to purchase a rifle license -- answers my question --

yes there still is a separate rifle permit

Edited by Heavyopp

your previous shotgun certification will allow you to buy a rifle license in july

Q. I already hunt with a Firearm or All-around License. Do I need to take the new Firearms Course to obtain a NJ Rifle Permit in order to hunt with a rifle or muzzleloader?
A. No. Current firearm hunters, or those who have previously completed a Shotgun Hunter Education Course, will not be required to complete this class in order to purchase a NJ Rifle Permit starting with the 2014/2015 rifle permit sales this July. A previous year's Firearm License or firearms/shotgun hunter education card can be used for this purchase beginning July 1, 2014.

The online course saves you the 1hr walk on test day. Worth it IMO because it may be raining or a big crowed that day. However, it takes a long time to complete online, much longer then the book. I could have completed the book in probably a few hours, but the online course takes a long time. It took me a week working 2 hours a day on it. It was cold a raining when I went and was packed. But I got to jump a head of everyone and go right to qualifications. So it saves you the field walk, plus you don't have to wait for qualifying because those lines can get big when everyone finishes the field walk. You also have to pay a small fee for the online voucher once you finish the course, the booklet is free.

Last year when I went they told us they were getting rid of rifle. It was too expensive and not many people get muzzy permits. I told him its not our fault nj restricts rifle hunting. He laughed in agreement. Most people did the rifle just because, my self included, get it done while I was there, why comeback if I ever want to hunt with a rifle.

There is/was really no "Rifle License". The old rifle portion of the test if passed allowed you to purchase your "Rifle Permit",if you wanted to hunt with a rifle. All current firearms licensee's will be able to purchase your rifle "permit" if you want. No need to re-take any test. All new 2014+ Licensee's that take the firearm portion of the test will have this included on the curriculum and be able to purchase the "Rifle Permit" if they want.

I have to get my son signed up.

He's already studied the book and DVD.

Do I understand correctly that he can take the online course to avoid about an hours worth of work in the field on his field exam?

I may be looking at this differently, but he's 16, and it seems to me that he'd be better served taking the test at the same time as the field exam, no?