Sign in to follow this  
greatgunstatenj

Tree stand safety harness question

I bought a new stand and it came with the appropriate safety harness While reading the documentation I noticed that they recommend replacing it every four years and even go as far as marking the month and year or manufacture on each piece of the setup. My stand is about two weeks old but the harness is due to be replaced in 2015. I called Cabela's and the guy I talked to was nonchalant about it and more or less said that he thinks the recommendation is crap and as long as it the webbing looks good the harness is fine. I agree to an extent but at the same time if I'm buying something new every piece should be new, no piece should be 75% through it's life expectancy. 

I tested out the whole set up this weekend with no issues. I didn't find the harness uncomfortable or overly cumbersome. So my question is do I call Millenium and push the issue or forget about it because I'll probably find that I want to upgrade to a nicer, more comfortable harness in the near future, opinions?

Call them. Can't see why the stand is two weeks old and harness is 2 or more years old.  I have not replaced harness for years.  Examine and test it at the beginning of season near ground level and store in cool dry place. Never had a problem.  Before that, used to make rope harness (BSA days) and used that for years, replacing only when rope showed signs of excessive wear. 

forget about it because I'll probably find that I want to upgrade to a nicer, more comfortable harness in the near future, opinions?

This.  You'll find that the harness enclosed is the bare minimum required for safety.  While much much better than nothing, far better than a "life belt" around your waist, and a heck of a lot more comfortable than a swiss seat, it's not a really comfortable setup nor is it well designed for hunting.  At least in my experience.

If it was stored in the box the whole time out will probably be fine. The issue will be UV degradation of the nylon.

However, if there it's some kind of accident 3 years from now where the integrity of the webbing is questioned you won't have a leg to stand on.

I'd call the manufacturer to get it sorted out.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

Honestly I would be pissed off also if they sold me a harness that was due to expire so quickly. Personally I wouldn't even use webbed harnesses that treestands come with. I have a whole box of them in my garage that came with stands I've never used because they are a pain in the ass. I bought a hunter safety system harness. Its much better than the junk they give you with the stand. Goes on much quicker and has great features like a deer drag built in, and an extra strap to use as a stirrup get back into the stand with in the event you fall out. Many people have actually died in their harnesses because they wind up hanging with no way to return to the stand. Cuts off circulation after a while and causes death. Spend the $90 on the Hunter Safety system, you will be safer in the long run, & get more out of it than just a one function safety harnesses. As well as save a lot of time trying to put it on and take it off. Try this test with the webbed harness the stand comes with: attempt to put it on in the dark, its next to impossible before the sun comes up to get into those things without dropping your flashlight 20 times outside the truck and making a bunch of noise. Not to mention aggravating the hell out of yourself. The hunter Safety system I can put on in the pitch black in less than a minute. Once its adjusted to you once its as easy as three quick snap together metal buckles, instead of a tangled web of inside out straps and re adjusting every buckle every time you put it on or take it off.

Sent using Tapatalk 2 NOW FREE!!!