Sign in to follow this  
edwill86

ak47 style hunt

Iv been hunting for the right ak47 7.62x39 variant for a while now. I was going to do the saiga conversion but after the parts and some labor for a muzzle brake it was going to cost way too much since the stock saigas are up so high now.

I found the Romanian m10 762 for q good price but found that I would need to have the Razer mizzle brake swapped out for a slant or another nj legal brake as its considered a flash hider. I had it arranged with the seller but since then I found this http://www.classicfirearms.com/long-guns/russian-saiga-ak-variant

I'd want to throw a houge grip on it and maybe have a brake threaded eventually but I like that its a russain saiga converted at a really good price. What do you guys thing?

Take a look at the Zastava N-PAP and O-PAP rifles. Built in Serb military factory. O-PAP has milsurp furniture. I believe AIM Surplus has them. So does Atlantic Firearms. Personally I would still go the Saiga route. They can be found for $500 online. Just add NICS and transfer. Hopefully you have an FFL that doesn't gouge you.  It is like building an AR. You learn all about the workings and will be able to strip and work on them after that. The conversion process takes about 45 minutes. All you need is a dremel and basic tools like screwdrivers.

P.S. I have a new Saiga for sale in the classifieds.  :)

I know you can get a saiga for 500 but that one in the link I posted is already converted for less then it would cost me to buy the parts kit from CSS. I'd go with the conversion if it was going to save me money for sure. I looked at the npap and opap. Not a fan of the single stacked mags for some reason.

The NPAP and OPAP are not single stack any more. The first generation of PAP rifles was. The newest generation are standard doublestack. The one in your link was assembled by the monkeys at Century Arms and has shitty furniture. I think you would end up wanting to swap it out.

So with the N pap I'd need the hi cap version to have double stacked mags correct? The low cap version says it has a narrow mag well to only allow for 10 round mags.

Does the npap come with a bayonet lug I need to have taken care of? Also I'd have to have the brake pinned and welded. +$ +$ http://www.classicfirearms.com/long-guns/papriflews

The more I look at it though the more it's growing on me lol

The NPaP only comes in double I believe. It was the PAP that was single. Yes to both. Look at the upside. How much longer in this country do you think they will be importing legitimate military factory AKs? I would take the hit now. In the future people are going to be paying stupid money for crap domestic AKs.

Yeah. Id need to buy soon b4 this Ukrainian Russia thing causes a panic buy on aks and a poossible import ban if it escalats.

http://www.classicfirearms.com/long-guns/paprifle-2

"This is the Low Cap version with a narrow magazine well and will only accept 10 round mags... "

Even if they ban imports from Russia there s plenty of AK variants to go around : Serbian,Polish,Romanian,Bulgarian......same for X39 ammo.

What s your budget on this?

I would say the o-pap is the preferred version as it is the closest to the original m70 rifle that you can buy. But with that being said the N-PAP isn't a bad rifle as long as you get the newest version. I went with the O-PAP, and I really like it.  I like that it came with surplus furniture, adds a little character to the rifle. Here's a good video that compares the 2

Here's mine. 

532b5880-1284-408d-9719-7aa66d3c545e_zps

I would say the o-pap is the preferred version as it is the closest to the original m70 rifle that you can buy. But with that being said the N-PAP isn't a bad rifle as long as you get the newest version. I went with the O-PAP, and I really like it. I like that it came with surplus furniture, adds a little character to the rifle. Here's a good video that compares the 2

Here's mine.

532b5880-1284-408d-9719-7aa66d3c545e_zps

Did you refinish the furniture on yours? If so would you mind giving me a step by step ? Keeping in mind im an AK noob. ;p