I have a folding scrimshaw sided knife that needs repair. It was a gift of gratitude from someone when I was stationed in Alaska. Cultural taboo to say no to something like this. Anywho - the internal steel that locks the blade in place broke and I need someone reputable to work on the beautiful hand crafted blade. The engravings on it are beautiful and need to be preserved.

Thanks

Is there anyway you can get pics? I'm curious to see the knife's construction so I can envision how to disassemble and repair.

In my head it's a simple fix... get someone to replace the locking liner.... however the problem comes in it's assembly. If it's assembled by pins that are epoxied in place it'll be a much tougher job than a knife that's assembled with screws, etc. Someone will have to most likely drill the pins out. Make a new locking liner. Fit and reassemble. Install/glue new pins. Sand pins flush with bolsters, etc.

It is brass pinned, hence me wanting to find the 'right' guy versus someone who 'thinks' they can do it. Generic folder body with fitted whale bone panels installed that were engraved and hand painted. True Alaskan one of a kind artisan work. I will try to post pictures later on.