Sign in to follow this  
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

CMP Garand - HRA Service or WRA Field?

It all depends on what you prefer. A Winchester was possibly used in World War 2 and/or Korea so if you like history that is a plus. However, field grades can vary greatly in condition, will have replaced parts, and you may get one with a barrel that is close to shot out, or you may get a good original Winchester barrel. It really is luck of the draw with field grades, and you could get a real dog or a gem! 

The HRA will also possibly have replacement parts, but since it is Service Grade, the barrel and overall condition should be really good and should shoot great! They are post WW2 and Korea, so they don't have that history, but who knows where they might have been for the last 60 years!

You have a greater chance of picking up at least some valuable parts in a field grade mix master. It will likely be dog ugly, also, but you might get really lucky. I got a decent amount of WW2 parts on my 1/45 SA field grade that I picked up a couple of years ago. The Garand Guy swapped out all my period incorrect parts for ones that matched the 1/45 receiver.

Well, it has "character".  The stock looks like it has seen some abuse (or action, like maybe it cracked a few skulls).  I think the serial number falls into the duplicate range so now I have to start looking for its Springfield sister :drinks:  Will be using this as a shooter.

I'm not up to speed on Garand stock identification, so any help would be appreciated.  I think it's an SA.

Also, not sure what the gas plug with "P" and octagon is all about.

Pics album here.

wcsDpdQ.jpg