NJGunGeek1980

Remington 700 ADL Long Action ?

So, i know the US Army version of the rifle is simple a re-barreled long action so what i am wondering is if i was to get a 700 in say 30-06 could i simply change out the barrel. Now i essentially have two guns one in 308 and the other in 30-06 as it was bought. I know this might void the warranty but i am fine with that. I just like having as many options as i can as i know when the craze was going on last year 308 was almost no-ware to be found but 30-06 was still plentiful. 

Why not just buy the action. Sold at Midway, Brownells, and I'm sure other places as well. I can see the reasons why purchasing a complete rifle maybe cheaper than just the action.  The cost of twisting off the barrel and clocking a new one on could be a little expensive considering a new barrel, etc.

It isn't like an Ar barrel. You'd have to headspace it every time you swapped. 

ALso, buying the stripped action from midway might be a PITA. I know an FFL tried to procure one to be built up, and midway said no because NJ forbids manufacturing without a license. Which is a stupid argument, but was they one they had with him. 

Remington's are a bit of work to swap barrels on.  Fairly specialized tools.  Lots of aftermarket accessories, though.

Savages have a reputation of being very user friendly to swap barrels on.  Still specialized tools but easier for the un-initiated to manage by all accounts.  Lots of aftermarket support with pre-threaded barrels and such.  If you go cheap with the Axis line, Boyd's has stocks for them available for order.

Thompson Center makes the Dimension line of rifles.  Easily swappable barrels.  Sub-MOA out of the box. 

Good luck in your search.

C