Newtonian

Ammo shortage to worsen?

This article suggests that the ammo shortage will not improve any time soon. 

The reasons the author gives are that powder for rifle rounds is non-existent, and that imports from Russia may slow or cease due to the unwise rhetoric coming on the heels of the Ukrainian crisis.

In my experience some things have come back, but nowhere close to pre-craze prices. Some rounds, like .22lr, are up to 14-15 cents per round from the retailers, which is insane. They run out in five minutes, and if you order online quantities are strictly limited. For the price of shipping you might as well get ripped off on Armslist or Gunbroker. At least there you can get as much as you want.

Imports are not being threatened by the Ukraine-Russia crisis. The only ammo that I expect to continue to be in shortage of is .22LR because people keep buying it up to either hoard or resell. ATK has already said they will not be able to do anything about supply of .22LR in 2014.

I was in Dicks in Rockaway and the guy working there told me yesterday that 22 is going to get worse because the EPA shut down all of the lead smelting facilities in the US and we have to ship our lead over seas so they can make bullets and ship them back to make rounds.........so I googled it......and as I suspected it turns out to be just panic fodder. It's rumors like this that will keep 22 flying off shelves at ridiculous prices.

It all seems to go through cycles.  First, no bullets to be found.  Now a little better but still tight.  Then primers. Same deal. Now powder.  Brass seems to be riding large waves.  In supply then scarce.  Used to see lots of range brass available especially from law enforcement.  Not seeing that now.  Guess they're recycling too!

It would make one believe that reloading supplies are now suffering from the same frenzy that started with guns when Obama got elected. Moved onto ammo, and now reloading.

OBAMA  gun salesman of the decade 2008-2016.  Who's next, Hillary?

too late, i havent stopped hoarding since last winter

Stop hoarding and start shooting!

I have no need to hoard because I just make what I need, but now I'm getting low on some components too. Powder Valley posted on their Facebook tonight that they had bullseye and unique in stock and it was sold out in under 12 minutes.

Sounds like the panic buying has already begun. Wolf will be as expensive as US made ammo soon.  Just absolutely out of control.  We have allowed them to hype us into another feeding frenzy.  Almost as bad as when they say SNOW around here. "OMG, I got to get the bread and milk."  Can't imagine what will happen in a real SHTF situation.

Sounds like the panic buying has already begun. Wolf will be as expensive as US made ammo soon.  Just absolutely out of control.  We have allowed them to hype us into another feeding frenzy.  Almost as bad as when they say SNOW around here. "OMG, I got to get the bread and milk."  Can't imagine what will happen in a real SHTF situation.

This is spot on. What s going on with the 7.62x39 ammo is an artificially induced panic buy. The State Department hasn't announced any sanctions yet and we re in full panic mode. Even if they cut Russia out there s Poland,Serbia,Romania,Czech Republic....all have factories that make this round. Same for the 7.62x54r. Yes,the Milsurp spam cans may dry out sooner than usual now similar to the 8mm Mauser rounds but this round is used by most other eastern european countries for light machine guns and it will be available.

Just like the ARs last year. It will be available even if you cant find any now.

I admit i did buy a case myself but i just got an AK variant a week ago and want to shoot it as soon as i can.

Almost as bad as when they say SNOW around here. "OMG, I got to get the bread and milk." Can't imagine what will happen in a real SHTF situation.

I like to ask the people I know who fall into this bucket one question as I eat all my good food that I have stashed, "how are those milk sandwiches?"

They never understand what I'm saying...and like them, most people won't understand that if you stop buying from people looking for 1000% profit, that the scare price/availability will go down.

Im not seeing any shortage yet anyway. I am still seeing 762x39 for .23 a round and SG has shipping deals constantly. In skeptical that this mess with "Putski" will have that big of an impact. Then again, as a somewhat new gun owner I cannot speak from any past shortage experience.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Stop hoarding and start shooting!

I have no need to hoard because I just make what I need, but now I'm getting low on some components too. Powder Valley posted on their Facebook tonight that they had bullseye and unique in stock and it was sold out in under 12 minutes.

who said i stopped shooting?

well here is one thing to ponder.   I SAY BUY.  As an avid milsurper I can remember in the not so distant past when spam cans of 8mm were $30, x54 was 40, A crate of 900 rds of 8mm was $100, and people were complaining about the prices.  This was not too long ago... maybe 5-7 years.  Look at what the prices have done, gone up.  And guess what they are going to keep going up and people will be missing todays prices.  You cant go wrong if you buy some now to put away for a rainy day. 

so I googled it......and as I suspected it turns out to be just panic fodder. It's rumors like this that will keep 22 flying off shelves at ridiculous prices.

Hat tip for Googling it first; I've gotten that email a bunch of times, and I always reply with this press release from the NRA-ILA which addresses the closing:

"Lead usage in ammunition makes up only about three percent of lead consumption in the United States.... the bottom line for consumers is that ammunition producers do not expect the smelter's closure to lead to any imminent impact on the price or availability of lead ammunition components."

OP was right, though - now is the time to buy - 9mm, that is. Everyone has forgotten bout that crisis.

well here is one thing to ponder. I SAY BUY. As an avid milsurper I can remember in the not so distant past when spam cans of 8mm were $30, x54 was 40, A crate of 900 rds of 8mm was $100, and people were complaining about the prices. This was not too long ago... maybe 5-7 years. Look at what the prices have done, gone up. And guess what they are going to keep going up and people will be missing todays prices. You cant go wrong if you buy some now to put away for a rainy day.

sure but the price of EVERYTHING had gone up exponentially over last 5-7 years..it is good advice to keep stock on hand..but everytime a snake farts in the middle east or the Russian bear growls is not the signal of the end of 7.62 as we know it..First it was lead, then it was copper, now its powder and import restrictions..its like the WHEEL OF AMMO PANIC..