Spike 7.62

I don't know where to begin

For the first time since living in NJ I intend to hunt legally with all the required paperwork. But I don't know where to start, at all. I have my FID and I'm a current military member if there are any discounts out there.

I want to do coyote, wild pig, deer, pheasant, duck and goose. I have a shotgun and black powder and would use a rifle when I could. If it extends my season I'll buy a crossbow, I've been wanting to anyway.

Where do I start? Where do I have to go and what do I have to do and spend? I appreciate everyone who helps, I thought the process of acquiring and shooting firearms was complicated, hunting regs blow me away.

I think if you look up the website for New Jersey Department of Fish and game to find all the information you need there. Getting the crossbow will extend your season on the front side you can start earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure hunting with a rifle in New Jersey is forbidden. But there might be some very select exclusions ... I'm not sure but again you will be able to find that information out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually I just noticed the pinned topic about obtaining the license. That answers a lot of my questions. I use my phone to browse the forum and missed that thread.

If anyone has any tips to stream line the process or any great gear/location recommendations (ha-ha, I know) then I'm all ears. Or, well, eyes.

Start by registering for a upcoming field day for your hunters ed certification . Take the online hunters ed course online to Save you a few hours on test day. Once you get your hunters safety certification then you can go buy your license. get a fish and game digest at one of your local places that sell licenses and read up . I posted a thread in the hunting forum with links to the hunters ed classes dates http://www.njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/66978-2014-Hunters-Ed-Field-Days

There are some priveleges given to military personnel regarding hunting and fishing licenses.

AD pay resident fees no matter what state they are residents of.

Members of the NJNG get free licenses.

Disabled veterans get free licenses.

Info is on DEP website.