tuktuk

Help with Finn M39

WARNING !

You might and you will find the following images disturbing... I did ..

anyways I rescued this rifle from a friend of mine. He still doesn't understsnd y I got mad at him ...

But what's done is done .

I never really worked with stocks so I would like your advise gens. Do I have to redo the whole rifle or just the damaged area ? Do I use a brush or a foam ? And more importantly what specific product should I use and what specific brand ?

Any advice and tips are appreciated !! Thank you

E377A2FC-6507-4B2D-8382-FCBBB3B7D090.jpg

D914941D-B196-4791-9755-58D5A7A0AEE8.jpg

DDA134D8-474C-478E-B71A-C020E860CA94.jpg

I did a repair like that but on a lot bigger scale not too long ago.  You can use a dremel and a chisel to cut out the bad area, and make it square.  Glue in a piece of scrap walnut and stain to match.  Here is a couple of pics from my big project, I used a mill but you get the idea of what needs to be done. 

DSC01195.jpg

DSC01209.jpg

DSC01210.jpg

DSC01211.jpg

DSC01214.jpg

DSC01247.jpg

Cut out the section and replace with the same type of wood, I use to have a old Mauser stock that I would take doner pieces from .

The big thing here is dont be scared ,You cant make it any worse. Its a surplus gun so it doesn't need to be perfect .Military repairs where done fast to get them back into service .

After your repair is glued in and blended in with a file or what ever , I would strip the entire stock and take some of the stripped finish and rub it in to the new wood to get the old finish in .

If you can make the repair as small as you can and maybe steal a piece from the inside of the stock if you can.

If it helps I have a small mill you can come over and use if you want. As Eric said above a Dremil cut off wheel will work  

thank u gens. And thank JM for the offer. I'm gonna 1st try to use wtvr tools I have at home .

Can u pls name couple of brands / types of dye / oils u would use in this restoration ? Or any other product u would recommend ... ( I'm a noob when it comes to woodwork :)

I use "gunny" paste as it is called sometimes, but my new favorite is Howards Feed and Wax sold at Home Depot or Lowes.  It is in an orange squeeze bottle and sold by the wood stains.  Good stuff and smells good. 

I get some fiedbings leather dye, brown and red and mix with BLO. Use gunny paste after done [seals wood] Use dye with BLO 1 or 2X. Then straight BLO a few times for 2-3 weeks then Gunny Paste. Be careful making is.  I hand boil wax on stove. Glass jar in warm water. then mix.