wooly bugger

Walther PPQ

I'm doing research for my first handgun, and it seem no one has anything but good things to say about the Walther PPQ, so I was surprised when my search on this forum produced zero hits. It looks to me like a Glock, but with an excellent trigger. I'm lefty, so I appreciate the ambidextrous features. I was leaning toward a Sig P226, but this seems better for a lefty.

Does anyone have one? Any opinions? I've also looked at the HK's for their lefty friendly guns, but it seems the triggers aren't as good.

OK, I'll admit, this awesome video is what really made me get one. It's a shameless infomercial, but still:

A few questions: about the video: 

1) Has anyone here tried shooting their pistol under water? It looks like fun, and maybe a good way to lose a hand.

2) At 1:37, the "Hellenic Navy Seal" is drinking what appears to be a Starbucks Mocchiato. Is that type of behavior typically encouraged within the European spec op community?

3) The balloon test at 3:03. Would the RO's at Cherry Ridge be OK with me doing this, and if so, would anyone volunteer to help me learn the technique?

I'm not sure why your search didn't turn up anything because I'm about a million percent positive we've talked about this gun before. I know I have. But that being said - it would DEFINITELY be a great first gun! I just bought one 2 weeks ago and the very first time I took it to the range I was shooting better with it than any of my other guns. The trigger in that gun IMHO is the absolute best you will find out of the box. It's ergonomics are outstanding, too. Very low recoil ...I mean I doubt I'm saying anything you haven't heard on YouTube reviews so let me just say that I personally love this gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because the trigger is so good, I'd actually make the argument that it is not good for a beginner.  

In case you play golf, (this will probably be meaningless if you don't), it's the same argument behind a beginner that learns using blades as opposed to cavity backs. Blades will magnify your swing errors and eventually make you a better golfer provided you put in the training and practice. But if you just golf occassionally, then cavity backs are fine as you'll spare yourself the aggravation mis-hits, and will at least be able to keep the ball in play. 

I think it's the same thing for shooting. I find the PPQ trigger to be very forgiving of improper fundamentals. When I'm practicing my double action pull on my hammer-fired Sig, I have to concentrate on doing a continuous, straight-back, trigger pull with my finger pad properly positioned on the trigger to keep on target. With my PPQ, I'm absurdly accurate with little concentration at shorter distances, but the same lazy trigger pull at longer distances translates into inaccuracy. But if you aren't going to be able to shoot that often due to time or $ constraints, then it might not be as important an issue and just go with what you shoot best. I personally haven't been shooting my PPQ that often because I feel I'm not getting anything out of it training wise, but it is by far my most enjoyable handgun to shoot.

A few questions: about the video: 

1) Has anyone here tried shooting their pistol under water? It looks like fun, and maybe a good way to lose a hand.

2) At 1:37, the "Hellenic Navy Seal" is drinking what appears to be a Starbucks Mocchiato. Is that type of behavior typically encouraged within the European spec op community?

3) The balloon test at 3:03. Would the RO's at Cherry Ridge be OK with me doing this, and if so, would anyone volunteer to help me learn the technique?

1. No, but If Woodland Park Range were to put in an underwater port, I'd try it out

2. Given the current state of the Greek economy, I'm sure they're now drinking instant coffee

3. I'd be happy to demonstrate as long as you're the one holding the balloons

I don't know why this doesn't come up with a "PPQ" search, but here is the be all and end all of PPQ threads, by The Wombat...

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/29106-walther-ppq/

Enjoy.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Because the trigger is so good, I'd actually make the argument that it is not good for a beginner.

In case you play golf, (this will probably be meaningless if you don't), it's the same argument behind a beginner that learns using blades as opposed to cavity backs. Blades will magnify your swing errors and eventually make you a better golfer provided you put in the training and practice. But if you just golf occassionally, then cavity backs are fine as you'll spare yourself the aggravation mis-hits, and will at least be able to keep the ball in play.

I think it's the same thing for shooting. I find the PPQ trigger to be very forgiving of improper fundamentals. When I'm practicing my double action pull on my hammer-fired Sig, I have to concentrate on doing a continuous, straight-back, trigger pull with my finger pad properly positioned on the trigger to keep on target. With my PPQ, I'm absurdly accurate with little concentration at shorter distances, but the same lazy trigger pull at longer distances translates into inaccuracy. But if you aren't going to be able to shoot that often due to time or $ constraints, then it might not be as important an issue and just go with what you shoot best. I personally haven't been shooting my PPQ that often because I feel I'm not getting anything out of it training wise, but it is by far my most enjoyable handgun to shoot.

I still say get this gun - it's awesome. BUT ...there is some merit to what boo is saying that by starting out with a great trigger you could have fundamentals that need work and the gun will hide it. But you're not gonna stop at one gun so maybe your next one won't have as nice a trigger lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because 3 letter word searches come back no hits.

I've found the best way to search online forums is usually NOT using the forum's own search box but using Google's advanced search. Click here to see how I have a custom search set up to search NJgunforums for the word "ppq". This is the best way to search IMO because you're not limited by word length or common words. Enter "http://njgunforums.com" in the box for "site or domain:" and then put what you want to search for up in one of the boxes towards the top. It's pretty self explanatory.