deerpark

Describe the proper way to transport a firearm and ammunition.

1) read the regs. they're not THAT confusing.

2) if you're unsure after reading said regs follow the following...

2a) gun in case, no mags, no ammo, put a lock* on it.

2b) ammo and mags in a separate case or bag.

3) don't drive like a retard while transporting a firearm and you'll not have to worry about being stopped.

If you get stopped for some reason and the cop has a hard-on for busting you he's going to bust you, regardless if you're following the law. So don't do stupid things while transporting and you'll be fine.

*Yes, I know you don't HAVE to lock the gun case IF the case is in a "trunk" of a vehicle. The intent of the reg is to prevent access to the weapon from inside the car. NONE of my vehicles do that. I use a cheapie lock that came with something else that I didn't need it for.

Have gotten some conflicting instructions.

Everyone has an opinion as to why they do what they do, and in most cases exceed what is actually required by law.  Reading the law is a very good place to start and something I'd highly recommend.  

I think one thing everyone would agree on and that is clearly written in the law is that they need to be unloaded and separate from ammo.  How you accomplish this is where the opinions enter the discussion.  For me, personally, I exceed what is required by the law.  I transport my handguns in a gun pouch that is placed in an old leather hard sided brief case that is then locked.  This makes it easy for me to get the gun to the safe table at an event and not have to carry the brief case. Ammo and magazines go in my range bag.  And yes, you can transport loaded magazines.  Long guns are transported in cases but not locked.

I would really suggest to read the law and then come back with a question about something in the actual law that you might want clarified.

3) don't drive like a retard while transporting a firearm and you'll not have to worry about being stopped.

If you get stopped for some reason and the cop has a hard-on for busting you he's going to bust you, regardless if you're following the law. So don't do stupid things while transporting and you'll be fine.

*Yes, I know you don't HAVE to lock the gun case IF the case is in a "trunk" of a vehicle. The intent of the reg is to prevent access to the weapon from inside the car. NONE of my vehicles do that. I use a cheapie lock that came with something else that I didn't need it for.

Follow the basic rules but #3 is the most important. Don't give them any reason to stop you in the first place. No tinted windows, no broken tail light, no stickers on your bumper saying "I HAVE FIREARMS" /sarcasm.

That is incorrect.  The does not have to be in a locked case if in the passenger compartment.  Nowhere in the actual law is there any mention of locking your gun case, it just needs to be closed and fastened (as in latched).

"g. All weapons being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b.,

subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried

unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package,

or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the

course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under

the circumstances.

That is incorrect.  The does not have to be in a locked case if in the passenger compartment.  Nowhere in the actual law is there any mention of locking your gun case, it just needs to be closed and fastened (as in latched).

"g. All weapons being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b.,

subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried

unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package,

or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the

course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under

the circumstances.

you could put it in butcher paper and tie it up your good to go...

Damn!    This again?

OP, PK90 pretty much laid it out for you....every possible,impossible and improbable scenario have been discussed ad infinitum on those pages.

Damn!    This again?

OP, PK90 pretty much laid it out for you....every possible,impossible and improbable scenario have been discussed ad infinitum on those pages.

LOL, my thoughts exactly.  500+ posts and never transported a gun anywhere??  And didn't specify as to whether it's a long gun or hand gun (affecting the "directly to and froms' rule").  WOW, just WOW!

I didnt know mags had to be separated...  glad I asked! 

And the ammo can also be in the trunk (or rear assuming its a SUV), so long as its in a separate, "locked" container?

"Some guy" told me that the ammo should be in the front of the vehicle? 

To those that have been injured by this thread, I would like to apologize to you and your families. 

I didnt know mags had to be separated...  glad I asked! 

And the ammo can also be in the trunk (or rear assuming its a SUV), so long as its in a separate, "locked" container?

"Some guy" told me that the ammo should be in the front of the vehicle? 

To those that have been injured by this thread, I would like to apologize to you and your families. 

That "some guy" sure do get around....

Lock it in the back of a U-Haul along with everything else you own and head for the state line without looking back....

But seriously...it's all been laid out for you in the above posts.

I have seen somebody get locked up in this situation. I was telling them that he shouldnt he charged for the weapon, only the 19rd mags he possessed, they called the prosecutor and the prosecutor charged him with weapons possession

I have seen somebody get locked up in this situation. I was telling them that he shouldnt he charged for the weapon, only the 19rd mags he possessed, they called the prosecutor and the prosecutor charged him with weapons possession

Why was he stopped and trailer searched in the first place?

When you say random truck check, do you mean there was a checkpoint or he was stopped?

Either way its still scary as hell.

The guy couldnt even escape from NJ "properly"...

I have to wonder about the cops who were ok with making an issue out of it...

Either way its still scary as hell.

The guy couldnt even escape from NJ "properly"...

I have to wonder about the cops who were ok with making an issue out of it...

I know. Checkpoints are constitutional wrong. And random stops without probable cause are also wrong. Gotta give credit to BLF for trying to do the right thing, but I'd like to know whey contact with the driver was made in the first place.

I drive an SUV. When I head to the range I put everything in the very back. I lockup my gun in its gun case and zip that up inside my range bag, but my ammo is in the cardboard box it comes in and zipped inside a separate compartment of the bag. Is this ok or the ammo needs to be "locked" too?? Sorry to keep this thread going but it gets confusing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I drive an SUV. When I head to the range I put everything in the very back. I lockup my gun in its gun case and zip that up inside my range bag, but my ammo is in the cardboard box it comes in and zipped inside a separate compartment of the bag. Is this ok or the ammo needs to be "locked" too?? Sorry to keep this thread going but it gets confusing.

You're good...all my vehicles are SUV's,estate cars and hatch backs and that's how I transport.

Since the written law in NJ, the enforced law in NJ, the NJSP advice on the law, the federal law to take advantage of FOPA and the law of adjacent states (PA and NY) differ or are unclear, enforced inconsistently and misunderstood by police, prosecutors and judges, everyone decides on their own how much they want to overcomply. Bridges are made with a safety factor to make sure they dont collapse and some like more safety factor than others.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk