OchoBlue

Silver & Gold NJ dealers

I have used http://www.apmex.com/ in the past.

As far as what to buy, I like US coins from 1964 or earlier, made with 90% silver. You can buy them by bag online and lock in the price. Send them a check, wire the payment or use a credit card (you pay more with CC).

They ship using Fedex.

It's always good to have a hedge against inflation or in the event of a currency debasement.   Don't go nuts thinking you're going to use your silver dimes in a TEOTWAKI situation.   Silver and Gold are both pretty good stores of value independent of fiat currency, just don't buy high and only sell if you absolutely must.

In a crisis situation I doubt gold and silver would be worth as much as boots, shoes, socks, canned goods, or gasoline.

Maybe short term it might be ok but long term nobody will care about gold and silver as much as they care about the essentials.

Good to have in an investment portfolio though.

I would never trade ammo in a crisis situation unless I trusted the person I was giving it to.

You trade it to someone who then trades it to someone else who trades it to someone who breaks down your door at 2am and shoots you with it.  No thanks.

I would never trade ammo in a crisis situation unless I trusted the person I was giving it to.

You trade it to someone who then trades it to someone else who trades it to someone who breaks down your door at 2am and shoots you with it.  No thanks.

+1

Yup, never trade away ammo unless it's for an immediate lifesaving situation where you will 100% die within a day without it. Be a bitch to be shot with your own ammo.

Could make up a few squibs for the bad guys to find though. Lol

Okay so what are the increments? Like if I have $100 increment nuggets how do I buy $25 worth of gas in trade?

In other words what's by best "small bills" combination of it". I don't want a scenario "we don't accept $100 nuggets here"

golddealer.com (California Numismatic Investments)

Registered mail shipping, lowest premiums, reputable

Ive been ordering from Kitco for 10 years?  Theyre very established and reliable.   

Over the past couple of years, Ive tried http://www.goldmart.com/

They've got the best prices but their delivery times and customer service is bleh.  If you can deal with that, youll save a few bucks. 

After factoring in shipping costs and insurance, buying locally is usually cheaper.  

But lately, Ive realized the importance of the other precious metal.  And when they want to exploit a tragedy, prices sky rocket. 

I0nEAxS.jpg

Make sure you buy from reputable dealer or sources and know what your buying.

My buddy and I both bought some fake silver on different occasions. careful buying on Ebay and CL

how to avoid counterfeit gold and silver

https://bullion.nwtmint.com/silver/silver_fake-vs-authentic-bars.php

http://goldsilver.com/video/special-report-how-to-avoid-fake-silver-and-counterfeit-gold-products/

http://coins.about.com/od/worldcoins/ig/Chinese-Counterfeiting-Ring/Fake-Chinese-Ingots-and-Bars.htm

http://about.ag/counterfeit.htm

Say you wisely invest in gold, the currency gets totally debased, and now you want to cash in. How hard is it to sell, and how much of a haircut do you take? I would imagine the buyers would want to test it for authenticity and still charge a premium for the risk of adulterated product, which might cost something.

I usually go to Roxbury coin   rt46 in kenvil.     you always want to pay CASH, that way there are no names or account numbers connected to you, (remember how the state goes after the smokers by checking to see who purchased cigs online to avoid taxes)               keep the transactions below 10g's  buying and selling.

So nobody has any thoughts on how to get gold in various increments? Or do they already come in increments of say $25? Again will you be handing someone $100 gold piece for one gallon of gas and say "keep the change?". I'm not trying to start a debate here about how commerce will work but I'm certainly not going to start stashing some gold if i have no plan how it will be delineated. Or is the whole idea of gold not for commerce but to like bribe someone to save a life?

You'll exchange gold the same way it was dealt with since people were walking around in sandals.    There will be someone who will gladly exchange your big denominations into smaller denominations of gold, silver, the fiat currency of the day or local scrip.    They will do this for a fee and generally be regarded as crooks, skimming off commerce and becoming rich at it.  Today we call them banksters, like Lloyd Blankfein or James Dimon.

You can do a walk in IN NYC. MTB coins located on 47 street between 5th and 6th in the dimond building.

I have also used JM Bullion. I would love to find a honest local guy that does not hit you over the head in price though.

I hate paper trails.

As far as cashing it in goes. In the old days they took a chunk out of the coin as payment or traded gold/silver dust.

Me I look at it as a hedge against the dollar. We print way to much money. We are the worlds currancy so we get away with it.

But things are changing and countries are starting to trend away from the dollar. Add to that the fact that less and less US taxpayers are paying more into the system then taking out and it does not look so good for the dollar.

When the wheels come off is anyones guess. But even an idiot can figure out this growing debt cant go on forever without some sort of market correction.

If we ever get to the point that you need to use gold or silver to pay for stuff, then we, as a nation, are pretty much screwed. The people that have food are the ones that will determine how and what they will get paid. Don't plan on using gold to "pay" for stuff later, even the small $5 gold coins are worth a lot of money. Simply buy common silver if that is your plan. Any pre 1964 dimes, quarters, halves are 90%. Any Peace dollar and earlier is 90%. You can get them in what is considered "cull" condition, only worth their bullion value, no numismatic value and therefore the cheapest way to stock silver (usually there are no dates left on them, they are bent, dented, severely abused.) You can also find World War 2 nickels that contain silver, 1942 - 1945 I believe. The way to tell they are silver is that the mintmark, P, D, or S, is very large and on the back.

So nobody has any thoughts on how to get gold in various increments? Or do they already come in increments of say $25? Again will you be handing someone $100 gold piece for one gallon of gas and say "keep the change?". I'm not trying to start a debate here about how commerce will work but I'm certainly not going to start stashing some gold if i have no plan how it will be delineated. Or is the whole idea of gold not for commerce but to like bribe someone to save a life?

Just buy US bullion coins. They come in $5, $10, $25, and $50 coins. The weights are 1/10oz, 1/4oz, 1/2oz and 1 oz respectively

Coins should be how gold and/or silver are purchased and used for investment anyway. Buying bars, nuggets etc is dumb, and if you're not really smart about it you can get ripped off. Use kitco.com or something very established to buy bars if that's your thing. I'm not saying coins aren't counterfeited because they are, but bars are very easy to fake.

I've collected US coins for a long time

In a crisis situation I doubt gold and silver would be worth as much as boots, shoes, socks, canned goods, or gasoline.

Maybe short term it might be ok but long term nobody will care about gold and silver as much as they care about the essentials.

Good to have in an investment portfolio though.

I have to agree with Respect2A. In a crisis situation I'd rather have piles of food, water shoes, socks and soap than gold or silver.  I don't know how regular one will be after eating their gold and silver.  :)

http://www.apmex.com/product/74946/50x-1-gram-valcambi-gold-combibar-in-assay-9999-fine

yes, i get these "combi bars" from Apmex .. perforated and easy to break down as a currency in a SHTF scenario 

http://www.apmex.com/product/74946/50x-1-gram-valcambi-gold-combibar-in-assay-9999-fine

yes, i get these "combi bars" from Apmex .. perforated and easy to break down as a currency in a SHTF scenario

Was curious what these were when you posted this. Went to the website. Spent a ton. My wife thanks you for helping me spend "her"money.