Sign in to follow this  
justabear

Need some advisement on getting my FID

Hello all, fresh meat here.

Anywho I been shooting with my father all my life. And I feel it's time I finally get my FID. It would be nice to go to the range with my dad without him having to take everything. The only concerns I have with the application or from what I remember questions 24 and 26. About 4-5 years ago I was "committed" to a a hospital for punching some holes in the wall. (AKA I was young once too). So I have some concerns before I submit my paperwork.

I am currently waiting to get back the dates that I was in. But I'm not sure I just want to submit it because I feel it will just get rejected anyway. Next thing I was thinking was going to visit a Psych so they can "clear" me as a healthy working citizen. And then the next thing I was thinking is the possibility of needing a lawyer (Wow this is getting pricey already) when I go to hand in my paperwork at my local PD.

I live in Manchester, if that helps at all. Anyway I just wanted advisement about the order I should do things in and if there are any steps I am missing.

Much Appreciated, 

Adam

I want to preface this wit h"I am not a lawyer" but as I see it question # 24 & #26 ask if you were

ever institutionalized, and if so - they ask for the location which tells me thy will contact that institution

and ask for their findings. 

IF they found you to be of sound mind, and released you with no issues - I think you could get your 

FID, though it may take a bit longer due the the process of getting you Mental health reports back

from said institute.

JMO - Good luck!

From dealing with this with a very close friend.. the NJSP will pass your mental health check if you have a dr clear you. This will be to get your FID and future permits.. but the kicker is that you will be rejected by nics. So only personal sales will happen.. if you dont believe me call the njsp fire arms unit. To pass nics checks you need a mental health expungement. Priced at 2000 dollars (my buddy used jef hedinger esq.) And they require you to get a psychological eval ( the guy they used cost him 900) so add in any court cost and "copy and mailing" fees from the lawyer it was about 3300 dollars. But he passes nics no issues, has a nice collection, and has never had another issue. I hope this helps.

I want to preface this wit h"I am not a lawyer" but as I see it question # 24 & #26 ask if you were

ever institutionalized, and if so - they ask for the location which tells me thy will contact that institution

and ask for their findings.

IF they found you to be of sound mind, and released you with no issues - I think you could get your

FID, though it may take a bit longer due the the process of getting you Mental health reports back

from said institute.

JMO - Good luck!

Thank you this is good to know. As I had a pretty positive experience there and they pretty much deemed me as no threat whatsoever. I'll take this among consideration as well as any other ideas to be safe and not sorry. Thank you.

From dealing with this with a very close friend.. the NJSP will pass your mental health check if you have a dr clear you. This will be to get your FID and future permits.. but the kicker is that you will be rejected by nics. So only personal sales will happen.. if you dont believe me call the njsp fire arms unit. To pass nics checks you need a mental health expungement. Priced at 2000 dollars (my buddy used jef hedinger esq.) And they require you to get a psychological eval ( the guy they used cost him 900) so add in any court cost and "copy and mailing" fees from the lawyer it was about 3300 dollars. But he passes nics no issues, has a nice collection, and has never had another issue. I hope this helps.

Thank you this is very sound advice. In the meantime down the road I can get that all cleared. May even clear itself when I make plans to move out of state. This is just the type of experience I was looking for. I think I am all answered up for now. Thank you all. (well most of you all).

Thank you this is good to know. As I had a pretty positive experience there and they pretty much deemed me as no threat whatsoever. I'll take this among consideration as well as any other ideas to be safe and not sorry. Thank you.

Thank you this is very sound advice. I'm not too worried as my dad could always purchase what I would like and just "privately" sell it to me and that's that. In the meantime down the road I can get that all cleared. May even clear itself when I make plans to move out of state. This is just the type of experience I was looking for. I think I am all answered up for now. Thank you all. (well most of you all).

Read this thread as well. The Institute in Oakland,NJ has been the place to go to do an evaluation.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/62518-can-anyone-give-a-reference-for-a-doctor-for-a-psych-evaluation/?hl=oakland#entry798154

That's called a straw purchase and is very illegal.  Your dad cannot purchase guns for you for which you would be rejected.  He has a chance of actually going to jail with that plan, so I'd go the record cleanup with lawyer route.

Oh I see I did not know this. Thanks for the heads up he probably would have told me this himself I haven't asked him much about the subject. I'll read up on the thread that Damjan posted for me. Could help cheapen my long road ahead. Thanks again.

Read this thread as well. The Institute in Oakland,NJ has been the place to go to do an evaluation.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/62518-can-anyone-give-a-reference-for-a-doctor-for-a-psych-evaluation/?hl=oakland#entry798154

Thank you I will absolutely read through and see my best options. Thanks again for the resource.