Kaiser7

What gun to teach my girlfriend to shoot on?

Kaiser- If you want to let her shoot a 1911 with a .22 conversion and you want to come out to EFGA I would be willing to guest you two in and you can use my conversion on your 1911 or mine. I am only free Fridays and Saturdays though. I also have an .22 AR, and a Lever .22, and a Walther PP .22 that your welcome to shoot as well. Also if my friend comes he can bring his sig 229 .22. Shoot me a PM if your interested and we can set something up. If you want to do it on a Saturday maybe my wife will come so your girlfriend does not feel like its a boys only thing.

Okay! Yeah, i've been telling her I'm planning this, because she's been asking me when I'm taking her, so I have to see when exactly she gets done school, or at least would have a free weekend or something.

I'd say stick with the .22 pistol and the .22 bolt rifle, also I find that sometimes a used .22 pistol is cheaper than a conversion kit so something to think about. I got a can (yes a can with pull tab and all) of federal .22 from bobs not to long ago maybe they have more?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really? I saw a kimber 1911 .22 conversion for like, $30, but i'm assuming it's not compatible with a remington 1911. Might be wrong, I've never really looked into conversion kits.

The only thing is I don't feel like doing all the PPP paperwork for it haha. If she ends up sticking with it, she'll probably buy her own.

Just lemme know.....  I have a bean bag rest for the rifle, so your .223 isn't too heavy.  I don't own a .22 conversion, but lots of friends use the GSG 1911's and they love them.  

Now to the actual Shoot:  The important thing is to schedule it.  As a college kid, the next important thing is to WAKE UP before half the day is over, so you have the time to travel, shoot, eat, and enjoy yourselves.

Soooooo, just lemme know.......

I just had this issue last week, took my girlfriend shooting for the first time since she was ~12.  She'd shot .22s before, and I started her off with a Marlin .22LR bolt action rifle.  She then moved to a .17HMR bolt action, a .223 bolt action, and even was brave enough to shoot a single shot from the Mosin Nagant.

We went to the pistol range, and again she started with a .22LR Sig Mosquito, then a P226 9mm, a Glock 23 .40, and even the Sig 1911.

She loves the .17HMR and 1911 most of all, so you never know what someone will prefer...She wasn't a big fan of the .223 or Mosin, but she's open to trying them again as she becomes more proficient.  She hated the Glock 23.  I think some of that has to do with her being right handed, left eye dominant...

^^I am also right handed/left-eye dominant and I shoot a Glock 23 as my personal protection firearm.  I also have trouble sometimes, I have to constantly work on my shooting, technique, control, etc.

When I move in a week, hopefully I will get to give myself a moving present as soon as possible, and I am leaning towards a nice 1911 or a Sig P226 MK25 - both of which should be a lot better "shooters" than the G23.  I will be very interested to see how quickly and by how much my accuracy improves.

My wife is 5'1" and 102 lb soaking wet. I started her on a Ruger 10/22 and she loved it. She didn't care for my 6920 but after a few range sessions she wanted to shoot the 223 and she liked it. She then won't straight to my Sig 229 9mm and she loves to shoot that. I'm getting a second p229 for her in a couple of weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some of these suggestions remind me of how my uncle was taught to swim in the navy. They threw him into the deep end of a swimming pool a bunch of times. He never learned. In fact the sight of water gave him panic attacks. Several months after being drafted he was honorably discharged.

Why would you start a brand new female shooter on anything more powerful than .22lr?

She's not trying to kill 500 pound gorillas with one shot, she's learning how to shoot. You can correct problems and bad technique a lot easier in .22 than in .38. Are you kidding me?

.22lr is the perfect training round, whether in rifles or handguns. Inexpensive, versatile, low noise, and above all low recoil, but it will do everything you need when you're learning. 

i handed my wife a 12 gauge and she loved it

Mine is now more comfortable and accurate with my big N frame S&W than all my 9 mm's and the other young ladies I first took to the range are still shooting and have yet to pick up a .22.

I think we tend to underestimate just how capable and game some Women are......

Mine is now more comfortable and accurate with my big N frame S&W than all my 9 mm's and the other young ladies I first took to the range are still shooting and have yet to pick up a .22.

I don't think that she couldn't handle a larger caliber later, but she is a tiny Vietnamese girl. I have a bow with like, a 20lb draw weight, and she couldn't pull the string back, so I was worried that she wouldn't be able either handle recoil, or the weight of the weapon itself would be an issue.

I don't think that she couldn't handle a larger caliber later, but she is a tiny Vietnamese girl. I have a bow with like, a 20lb draw weight, and she couldn't pull the string back, so I was worried that she wouldn't be able either handle recoil, or the weight of the weapon itself would be an issue.

Just for reference....the wife is a tiny Filipino girl who dislikes my 9's because racking the slide is sometimes difficult..... but handles recoil from her .357 snubby just fine.

Are you familiar of the Asian concept of "giving face"? perhaps she's not pulling back that bow to "give face" to her big,strong boyfriend and perpetuate the concept of the tiny Vietnamese girl?

...just a thought...

Just for reference....the wife is a tiny Filipino girl who dislikes my 9's because racking the slide is sometimes difficult..... but handles recoil from her .357 snubby just fine.

Are you familiar of the Asian concept of "giving face"? perhaps she's not pulling back that bow to "give face" to her big,strong boyfriend and perpetuate the concept of the tiny Vietnamese girl?

...just a thought...

Hahaha XD I didnt think about that. But usually she tells me that she's "the man" in the relationship, and that I'm "bottom bitch, nah mean?"

Shes a trip lol.

Hahaha XD I didnt think about that. But usually she tells me that she's "the man" in the relationship, and that I'm "bottom bitch, nah mean?"

Shes a trip lol.

....they all are, My first wife is Chinese and giving face went out the door right after the wedding banquet.....

....they all are, My first wife is Chinese and giving face went out the door right after the wedding banquet.....

My ex was half Taiwanese (other half white). She got miffed at me because i wasn't paying attention to her for literally 5 seconds, and punched me in the abdomen while I had mono (which I got from her). Ended up rupturing my spleen and sending me to the hospital for 5 days due to internal bleeding. And that was only after a few months of dating haha.

Current gf is cool though, and funny. She wants an AR7 because she thinks they're "Cute". But I think she knows that I wouldn't want her "giving face" because it would make me feel weird, but I could be wrong.

That's true but IMHO better to start small. Some women may surprise you but if it turns out she's not as game as you think she may be turned off forever. My wife shot the 22 and my 6920 on the same day when she started and she hated the noise and recoil from the Colt. She tells me now that if I'd started her on the Colt she would have quit right then and there. But because I started her on the 22 she loves to shoot and she will probably try competition one of these days. Do you want to take a chance with a 12 gauge that you could forever turn her off the sport if you've misjudged her gameness?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The first gun my fiancé ever shot was a glock 23... Which was difficult for her to shoot and probably not ideal... But she worked through it and can handle the gun without issue... The second gun was an AK in 223... I wish I had started with the AK... A carbine in 223 is very easy for a novice shooter to handle from a bench... Especially out of an AR...

I went through this same situation with my wife (girlfriend at the time).  She was pretty much terrified of guns when we first starting dating.  She was reluctant to even hold one at first.  She is pretty tiny, about 5'1. 

What I did was buy one of those .22lr single shot Crickett youth rifles.  I think it was like $100 at the time.  This ended up being a perfect choice because it was so light (like 3 pounds) so she wouldnt get tired having to hold up and shoulder the gun (She often complains that "full size" rifles/shotguns are too heavy).  The youth-sized length of pull fit her perfectly.  And also the mild report and absense of any real recoil made her feel comfortable enough to give it a try.  By the end of the first range day she was loading and shooting rounds by herself and having loads of fun doing it.  Next time we went to the range, she was ready to try moving up to the .410 shotgun, which she did fine with. 

The moral of the story is, start small so she wont get intimidated.  And then as her confidence increases she will be eager to move on to bigger stuff. 

My ex was half Taiwanese (other half white). She got miffed at me because i wasn't paying attention to her for literally 5 seconds, and punched me in the abdomen while I had mono (which I got from her). Ended up rupturing my spleen and sending me to the hospital for 5 days due to internal bleeding. And that was only after a few months of dating haha.

Current gf is cool though, and funny. She wants an AR7 because she thinks they're "Cute". But I think she knows that I wouldn't want her "giving face" because it would make me feel weird, but I could be wrong.

Jesus Christ

My kind of girl :D

I always start a new shooter out on a .22.     Anything else might scare them away for good.   Noise and recoil is the problem.

Likewise. Doesn't matter if male or female, someone on the fence can get freaked out pretty easy.

Obviously starting bigger can work for some people, but I think it unwise to take the chance.

I'm thinking I'm going to teach her on the Savage MKII. Truth be told, I'm a novice shooter myself, I think my cumulative amount of range trips in the past 3 years (Since I got my first gun, the savage) totals 8 trips or so. I literally own guns I've had for over a year and haven't shot yet haha.

I'm actually talking to Smoking .50, who is an awesome guy I've met for a pro-gun photoshoot I did a while ago. Truth be told, I want to have my own skills critiqued and stuff. I'm sure that I need a lot of pointers, and IIRC he's an NRA instructor. But we're both super-excited to go. I had a hard time finding .22 ammo, but managed to get a brick (On back order from Cabela's), and I also found about 220 rds and 3 magazines for my savage I had misplaced before I got my safe. 

If she takes to it, maybe someday I will get an AR7 for her, though I might just keep it in my safe until we get our own place XD.