Kaiser7

Question about bipods

Personally, I probably don't need one, and I'm not looking to get one any time soon (Unless I saw one really cheap at like, a yardsale or something, I've gotten nice scopes that way). But  I'm assuming a bipod serves essentially the same function as a sandbag, but is attached to the rifle.

Now here's my question. What are good bipods? Also, what really makes one bipod better than another (apart from say, durability, I figure cheap ones may be more prone to breaking.)

Also, does it matter whether they clamp to the barrel, or mount to a rail?

Overall, I feel like they'd be useful since they don't add much weight, and when I was an airsofter I usually had a cheap one, and liked being able to pop it out for prone shooting. I like the idea, but I just wasn't sure what constitutes a good bipod, and what prices are fair.

The textbook answer to bipods is a brand called "Harris".  They are like the Cadillac of bipods and make absolutely outstanding product.  But they're on average $100 plus or minus $25 depending on model and/or sales-promotions.

Usually the best and most prevalent option is that they attach to a sling swivel stud.  i.e. under the forearm/forend of the rifle, the little stud that you wound attach a swivel to, to then attach a sling?  You can mount the bipod to that and it's a nice fit.

There are different sizes.  6"-9" is standard and often used for benchrest shooting and on military rifles.  9"-13" are often used for hunting/varmint rifles and when you're gonna be laying down out in the field.  They go up from there to 25" and even much bigger.

Now also bipods can mount to a picatinny rail.  A few years back if you asked what the best bipod was, 95% of the time people would say Harris.  I noticed in early 2013 that suddenly it was extremely "firearm fashionable" to have an Atlas bipod, which is a step up from Harris and they're about $300+.  Sometimes like $279.99 and a $75 mounting piece is often needed.  The people who have them rave about them but when I was talked down-to on here by someone who was showing off their Atlas like my Harris was junk I just laughed.  I mean how high do you really need to go ?  But they are nice, advanced pieces of kit.

2 budget solutions- Walmart used to have as standard firearms-aisle equipment a "Winchester" branded bipod, 9"-13" stud-mount.  It went for $39.99 ... I have one on my Remington 597.  It is faultless, does it's job very well and never a problem.  HOWEVER, my $110 Harris S-BRM 6"-9" bipod on my custom Remington 700 is obviously a lot better, and clearly higher quality, *but that does not make the Winchester $40 a bad or faulty piece of equipment*.    ---- Now Walmart has replaced the Winchester with a Blackhawk 9"-13" that apparently includes a swivel function (so if you were to "swivel" or "pan" to the right the rifle can swivel on the bipod mount a little bit, vica-versa) which is usually a much more expensive option/ugprade.  I do not have one of those Blackhawks but on another forum I had a big conversation about them and the verdict was extremely impressive and favorable (from those that have them).

Anyway I hope I helped, I am sure you will get a LOT of help from a lot of posters on this subject here.

Well said Scrap!

I have Harris and Atlas. They are both great products. Both will not fail you. The Atlas is a little more adjustable. If you decide to sell either one down the road then you will get most of your money back.

Be careful of cheap Harris bipod knockoffs. There are many out there and they look very like the Harris except they fall apart in a couple months.

So the differences really lie in how long they last, and if they swivel? Thanks for your answer Scrap, that did clarify a lot of things.

I was wondering because I'd like one, but I had no clue why some are so expensive, and others less so. The only reason I could think of would be quality of construction. Odds are, I'd want something for picatinny, but I never thought about swivel. I might go with a budget option at some point, simply because I'm not sure how much I'd really use it, but as far as firearm accessories go, I think bipods (and maybe foregrips) are really the most practical accesories excluding sights/scopes.

It depends on the application. My DMR 18" Bull Barrel AR has a Harris mounted on it. I wouldn't put one on my LW AR though... just not its intended purpose. A Bi-Pod is more about field work and real life application... sand bags are for the range and don't implement much real world use.

Price is certainly related to build quality, but even so check out the reviews for what ever is your looking at... there tons out there.