WJFortier

JBMDL BX Gun shop?

The rumor spreading around Joint Base McGuire Dix Lakehurst is that the current remodeling going on in the McGuire BX will ultimately be a gun shop.  Initially that didn't compute with me.  I've only known Marine Corps Exchanges to sell weapons so I stopped by and spoke with some of the staff there who confirmed that as fact.  They indicated that there are still many hurdles and a finish line barricaded with red tape still needing to be crossed but they are very hopeful. 

Currently the base has very strict personal weapons restrictions.  I'm sure they are aggressively working on Air Force Instructions to regulate purchases as well as removing them from the store AND base. 

AD, Reserve, Guard and retirees stand to benefit from this.  My experience buying from Marine Corps Exchanges have always yielded excellent prices, the ability to order just about anything, low transfer fees and no tax. 

We'll see, we'll see. 

You have no idea how exceited this makes me!

I know what you mean.  I'm just hoping the "good idea fairy" that unfortunately seems to hover over that base doesn't put the brakes on the plan due to some "what if" scenario. 

We hear talks about Ft Dix trying to break off the whole Joint Base system.  The Army HATES it and they really hate being under the Air Force.  A lot of the DoD cops hate their jobs since the AF took over.  I would like know know how that would work tho.  Because as a Guardsman I have access to the base and as a LEO I have the ability to conceal carry.  However I can not carry on federal property which includes the base... So I don't know how they would handle the sale and removal of weapons from the base.  Maybe if they do not sell ammo there that might work but who knows.  I wont count the chickens before they hatch but man it would be awesome to have it right there!!

I'm curious, when buying on base, are you still subject to handgun permits, FID, and NICS requirements?

No doubt the same rules will apply.

You will probably get the walk of shame to the register drive of shame to the gates. Besides, this is a gun free zone where soldiers are not even allowed to carry guns.

i

I'm curious, when buying on base, are you still subject to handgun permits, FID, and NICS requirements?

I've been to the PX at Ft Carson numerous times over the past several years visiting my daughter in Colorado Springs. The PX there, as many others do, sells guns and ammo. They wouldn't sell me a handgun without proof of CO residency (as expected). NICS is a Federal requirement so they would have to do that. They are not subject to state regulation so I don't know about P2P and FPID cards. The only military installation I bought any guns at was the Rod and Gun Club in Fort Huachuca when I was assigned there in 1988-89. There were no issues buying anything there as the only regs that had to be followed were Federal. FFLs off post would sell me anything with my military ID and a copy of my orders assigning me there. Not a good comparison I know as there are very few gun laws in AZ.

While gun prices at the Rod and Gun Club at Huachca were ridiculously cheap, the prices at the PX were at or near MSRP.

I remember the Rod and Gun Club when I was stationed in Germany in 1970. Browning High Power for $85. I couldn't buy one because I was 20 years old.