intercooler

ATF banned 7n6 surplus 5.45...best get it now

I believe I know who the dealer is that did that...and he did it with that express purpose. I'd have to dig through forum posts on a private dealer-only forum to find it but IIRC, he got the idea from DPMS when they made a .308 AR pistol.

Why would he do that?

I don't know his exact reasoning but if it's who I think it was, my opinion is because he's an attention whore.

Well that's dumb. In know here's no such thing as bad publicity but this seems like it would be counter productive to business when people find out.

Forgive my ignorance on the matter, but is it illegal to import surplus handgun ammo? Or does this have something to do with regulations against short barrel rifles or something?

About two years ago, I very seriously almost bought a gun chambered in 5.45, guess I'm glad I didn't. Not that ammo in general hasn't been harder to get. But I'm really curious who it was, and why they'd do it.

checked out r/guns, someone posted this link, not sure , but it seems someone on gunbroker is selling a 5.45 pistol, might be the person who caused the ban.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=403279623

Apparently Horn Custom rifles built it

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0lZo080tp7l

If you read through the comments at the first link, you'll see that 5.45 ammo doesn't meet the ATF definition of AP ammo because it's smaller than .22 caliber. They are applying "assault weapons" cosmetic logic to this ammo import ban.

This signature is AWESOME!!!

If you read through the comments at the first link, you'll see that 5.45 ammo doesn't meet the ATF definition of AP ammo because it's smaller than .22 caliber. They are applying "assault weapons" cosmetic logic to this ammo import ban.

This signature is AWESOME!!!

Nope, the way the ATF measures it, it's .221 caliber or so. I've already seen that point brought up on r/guns, and /k.

I guess BATFE uses "Core Curriculum" math because last time I checked, .214" was smaller than .223". This signature is AWESOME!!!

I forget why it's considered larger than .223, but let's be real, would BATFE really care about stuff like laws and definitions and such when they can ban cheap ammo?

This is not the end of the world guys. It is stupid for sure, both of the ATF and the manufacturer who should have known better as the same happened with other calibers, but steel core ammo is not really the biggest import, is it?

Additionally, keep in mind some ranges have issues with steel core anyway.

Glad I read this as cheap ammo was my decision for wanting an AK 74. I guess 7.62 it will be for me. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Most 7.62x39 ammo is not surplus and the new production is almost the same price as 5.45x39 so its kind of the same.

Or maybe he has a boatload of steel 5.45.

I've heard that theory. If so he is a douche beyond all douches. I dont have the cash to get all the ammo i'd like, so i feel for people who get into a caliber like this to save money.

I heard rumors black horse arsenal was going to make an AK-style pistol chambered in 7.62x54R which would get the banhammer dropped on mosin surplus (if what i hear is true)

This does suck, but it's not a reason to avoid a 5.45 ak. After this panic ends, it will be around the same price as Wolf ammo. The days of ten cents a round are done (unless you stockpiled) but it is still a great round.