ATF banned 7n6 surplus 5.45...best get it now

Here's a quick copy and paste-

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

Special Advisory

Public Affairs Division - Washington, DC

April 7, 2014

www.atf.gov

Test, Examination and Classification of 7N6 5.45x39 Ammunition

On March 5, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) received a request from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection agency (CBP) to conduct a test, examination and classification of Russian-made 7N6 5.45x39 ammunition for purposes of determining whether it is considered “armor piercing ammunition” as defined by the Gun Control Act (GCA), as amended. Since 1986, the GCA has prohibited the importation of armor piercing ammunition unless it is destined for government use or testing. The imported ammunition about which CBP was inquiring was not destined for either excepted purpose.

The Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA), as amended, defines the term “armor piercing ammunition” as:

“(i) a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium; or

(ii) a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.” (emphasis added)

When ATF tested the 7N6 samples provided by CBP, they were found to contain a steel core. ATF’s analysis also concluded that the ammunition could be used in a commercially available handgun, the Fabryka Bronie Radom, Model Onyks 89S, 5.45x39 caliber semi-automatic pistol, which was approved for importation into the United States in November 2011. Accordingly, the ammunition is “armor piercing” under the section 921(a)(17)(B)(i) and is therefore not importable. ATF’s determination applies only to the Russian-made 7N6 ammunition analyzed, not to all 5.45x39 ammunition. Ammunition of that caliber using projectiles without a steel core would have to be independently examined to determine their importability

To anyone that likes AK-74s, it has been painfully obvious that the supply of cheap surplus 7N6 ammo would either dry up or get banned (like 7.62x39 did in the 90's) because some fool will make or import a handgun that shoots this caliber. Hopefully, they have been stacking it deep while it was available. It just means one day i will be buying Wolf or Golden Tiger 5.45, the way I do with 7.62x39. The days of ultra-cheap surplus ak-74 ammo are over. But now there is an incentive for the commercial manufacturers to make more since they don't have to compete with 12 cents per round surplus ammo. In the end it may be a good thing for the viability and survival of the caliber in the U.S. It really is a great round.

Soooo. Does this ruling by the ATF mean that this ammo is now treated the same as HP ammo in NJ, ie. transportation must fall within the exemptions, and a FPID would be needed for purchase?

Soooo. Does this ruling by the ATF mean that this ammo is now treated the same as HP ammo in NJ, ie. transportation must fall within the exemptions, and a FPID would be needed for purchase?

Paul,

I believe that this ammo is simply not importable any more. 7n6 ammo in the US remains legal to own and use. To the best of my knowledge (which may be the problem), NJ does not have restrictions on other ammo piercing ammo like 30 '06.

Paul,

I believe that this ammo is simply not importable any more. 7n6 ammo in the US remains legal to own and use. To the best of my knowledge (which may be the problem), NJ does not have restrictions on other ammo piercing ammo like 30 '06.

this is correct, anything already in the US is perfectly legal, the ban is on import only of future supplies

If ATF is saying it is illegal to import because it is armor piercing handgun ammo, I think the NJSP will take the same view, and claim it can be used in a handgun, therefore, classifying it with other handgun ammo.

If ATF is saying it is illegal to import because it is armor piercing handgun ammo, I think the NJSP will take the same view, and claim it can be used in a handgun, therefore, classifying it with other handgun ammo.

Agree

If asked i bet that is the response

Agree

If asked i bet that is the response

thankfully it is not hollow point* and won't be subject to travel restrictions.

* i put an asterisk because the Russian surplus does actually have a cavity in the nose, causing it to wildly tumble after impact and cause devastating internal damage (why Afghans named it the "poison bullet"). But the cavity is internal and does not have exposed "petals", so to the best of my knowledge this does not qualify it as hollow point ammunition.

thankfully it is not hollow point* and won't be subject to travel restrictions.

* i put an asterisk because the Russian surplus does actually have a cavity in the nose, causing it to wildly tumble after impact and cause devastating internal damage (why Afghans named it the "poison bullet"). But the cavity is internal and does not have exposed "petals", so to the best of my knowledge this does not qualify it as hollow point ammunition.

to be clear I meant in regards to purchase requirements..