Sign in to follow this  
Pizza Bob

Shongum USPSA 4/5 - Registration Open

Announcement for Ron Gumann, Match Director...

We are using “Shoot’N Score It” (SSI), an online pre-registration tool.  In addition to speeding things up the morning of the match to allow us to start shooting (and finish shooting) earlier, pre-registration via SSI provides for self-squadding.  Shooters can sign-up/log-in to the SSI site, enter their basic shooter information, and click “Register.”  Once registered, squadding can be set up.

Round count is 100

We reserve the ability to move folks around to assure we have adequate RO coverage in each squad and balance squad size.

Registration will close by around 9:30 am, please arrive early.

New Shooter briefing will be at 8:45am.

We can still accommodate walk-ons the morning of the match through the traditional sign-in process, but the less we have to rely on this, the quicker we can be at getting the match started.

** Shooter information stored in SSI is not indexed/returned by search engines, so shooter names will not come up in Google searches. **

To pre-register for the April Shongum match via SSI:

·        Go to http://shootnscoreit.com/ipsc/match/1910/   

If its your first time using SSI, create a user name/password, etc., and click “Sign Me Up”, otherwise login to sign up.

·        On the match registration page, enter your USPSA/shooter information, and click “Register”

Ø      We ask that ROs select “Military” in the Category field so that we can easily identify them and ensure that each squad has enough ROs

·        Click on the link to “squads” on the left of the page, choose a squad from the list, and click “join this squad”

There are no squads set-up yet, but you should register. This is a great match for people that have wanted to try USPSA. Usually 5 stages with one being a classifier. New people may want to read the stickies at the beginning of this section of the forum to insure you have enough/the right equipment.

Weather is not supposed to be great, but it's a way off so things could change. If it gets cancelled, Ron will send out an e-mail to those registered.

See you there, weather willing.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I'm a member of a range but I have never shot competitively. Can you please provide some links that explain what this is all about?

What are we shooting? Distance? Calibers? 

What does the event consist of?

Entry fee?

Food/drink available?

Location (I assume Shongum, which I just found out about today!)

Thanks.

Ok, so this is "action" shooting. Very useful. Thanks.

Are there any events for old farts who just shoot at paper?

Don't be scared off by the term "action" - you can move as quickly or as slowly as you like. The first time it's just as well you don't try to fly through the course.

I am an old fart and even if I were in a wheelchair, I'd still rather do this than shoot from a static position at static targets.

Read the sticky. Match fee is $20, or join USPSA for $40 and shoot the match for free. New shooter briefing (mandatory) is at 8:45 AM. Bring your own food and drink for the day.

Adios,

"Old Fart" Pizza Bob

Don't be scared off by the term "action" - you can move as quickly or as slowly as you like. The first time it's just as well you don't try to fly through the course.

I am an old fart and even if I were in a wheelchair, I'd still rather do this than shoot from a static position at static targets.

Read the sticky. Match fee is $20, or join USPSA for $40 and shoot the match for free. New shooter briefing (mandatory) is at 8:45 AM. Bring your own food and drink for the day.

Adios,

"Old Fart" Pizza Bob

Sounds like fun.

Don't you need some kind of familiarity with this type of shooting before going to an event where people are walking around? Just curious.

Don't you need some kind of familiarity with this type of shooting before going to an event where people are walking around? Just curious.

That's what the "New Shooter Briefing" is for. As long as you're safe and listen to the RO's you will be fine. This is a cold range which means you only touch your firearm either at the safe table with no ammo or snap caps present, or at the direction of a Range Officer. There is an RO over your shoulder the whole time you are actually shooting.

You'll need to be familiar with your weapon, clearing malfunctions, mag changes, drawing from a holster.

You will also need, a Holster, Magazine pouches, and 4 or 5 magazines depending on which division you'd like to play in.

Shongum is pretty "simple" as far as their stages and action shooting goes, and they seem pretty laid back. I'd say it'd be a good place to start and get familiar with action shooting.

You'll need to be familiar with your weapon, clearing malfunctions, mag changes, drawing from a holster.

You will also need, a Holster, Magazine pouches, and 4 or 5 magazines depending on which division you'd like to play in.

Shongum is pretty "simple" as far as their stages and action shooting goes, and they seem pretty laid back. I'd say it'd be a good place to start and get familiar with action shooting.

Thanks, and thanks to Pizza Bob as well.

Sounds like something I need to prepare for. What calibers do they use? What are the typical distances? What capacities do I need to compete? I have a range from .22 to .357mag, 7+1 to 12+1, but the only one with a holster that won't get me laughed out of the place is a .380.

I'd drive down and check it out but I don't want to take up a lot of their time. 

Ok, so this is "action" shooting. Very useful. Thanks.

Are there any events for old farts who just shoot at paper?

Yes, it's called NRA Bullseye.  Been around for more than a century.  Take a look at  www.njpistol.com  for Bullseye League info from around the State.  I've shot it (not for me).  Cherry Ridge probably runs a League there as well, so check the club calendar!

Action is where folks go to simulate defense scenarios, instead of putting a single, ragged hole into the center of a piece of paper.  Both USPSA and IDPA videos are available on YouTube.

Then there's Static Steel (plates don't move).

Then there's Knockdown Steel (plates have to fall down to be scored as a hit).

I run a Pistol League with turning Silhouette Targets called PPC with means Police Practical Competition.

I used to go shoot Bowling Pins every month.  Both with center fire and a .22 LR.  Also a FUN time!

Still more out there to go do, and then there's Hunting on top of that.

Dave

Sounds like something I need to prepare for. What calibers do they use? What are the typical distances? What capacities do I need to compete? I have a range from .22 to .357mag, 7+1 to 12+1, but the only one with a holster that won't get me laughed out of the place is a .380.

I'd drive down and check it out but I don't want to take up a lot of their time.

Minimum caliber is 9mm. They may make an exception but I'm not sure. I would drive up and plan to shoot. It's fun and very addicting. I rarely shoot at in stationary ports unless I need to test something or work on specific skills.

As for the distances, they are not that bad at Shongum. I think less than 25 ft seems to be the normal although they could surprise you. I think at Old Bridge, there were targets out over 100 ft.

What are you other options? I may have some gear that I can bring along.

As for capacity, you can go as fast or slow as you want. Since it's your first time, just take your time.

Sounds like something I need to prepare for.

Not really. Most people that go only to spectate usually wish they had participated from the git-go. Lots of friendly people to help and they usually put newbies in a squad with experienced people

What calibers do they use?

Typically 9mm in Production Division which is where most new shooters start, or .45 ACP in Single Stack Division for those shooting 1911's. Others are used but those two are the most common.

What are the typical distances?

I believe the rules actually allow them to go out to 50 yards - but I have yet to attend a club level match that exceeds 30 yards, and that was rare. Typically the majority of your targets (paper and steel) will fall within the 5 yard to 20 yard range

What capacities do I need to compete?

If you are talking magazine capacity it would be 10+1 for Production, Limited 10 and Single Stack Minor Divisions. 15+1 for Limited and Open Divisions. 8+1 for Single Stack Major Division and 6 or 8 for Revolvers - the former being Major and the latter Minor.

If you mean how many mags - minimum of 4 for any of the 10+1 divisions or higher capacity. 5 for the 8+1 division.

I have a range from .22 to .357mag, 7+1 to 12+1, but the only one with a holster that won't get me laughed out of the place is a .380

Most prefer a kydex holster for competition, but injection molded is fine too and keeps the costs down. There are certain parameters for the holster, but most importantly it must cover the triggerI'd recommend against any type of retention device (beyond the fit of the holster itself). The minimu caliber is 9x19mm (9 mm Parabellum), so the .380 doesn't cut it I'm afraid.

You wouldn't be taking up anybody's time but your own. We are a friendly bunch and always happy to answer questions.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Thanks, PB. I don't have the right equipment. 10+1 in .22lr, 10 round .22 revolver, 7+1 in .380, 12+1 in 9x18, 8+1 in 9x18, 5-rounds .357/.38sp, 6 rounds .357/.38sp. I think it's a nice collection but obviously not for this type of competition.

Only usable holster is a pocket model for the .380. The 8-round Mak has four magazines, but only one for the CZ82. Looks like I'm at a distinct disadvantage with the revolvers as well. Maybe my next round of permits...

Thanks, PB. I don't have the right equipment. 10+1 in .22lr, 10 round .22 revolver, 7+1 in .380, 12+1 in 9x18, 8+1 in 9x18, 5-rounds .357/.38sp, 6 rounds .357/.38sp. I think it's a nice collection but obviously not for this type of competition.

Maybe you would be better off starting with IDPA. Less equipment needed and you have a suitable firearm in your 6-shot .38/.357 revolver. It would shoot in SSR Division. You would still need a suitable holster - three, preferably four speed loaders and pouches in which to carry three of them. What model .357 do you have?

And, you're welcome.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Maybe you would be better off starting with IDPA. Less equipment needed and you have a suitable firearm in your 6-shot .38/.357 revolver. It would shoot in SSR Division. You would still need a suitable holster - three, preferably four speed loaders and pouches in which to carry three of them. What model .357 do you have?

And, you're welcome.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

It's a Ruger GP100. No holster or speed loaders. For what I do I don't need the former and am not permitted to use the latter :)

Interesting: I have a total of one gun that's competition worthy? I guess these competitions are tilted in favor of large-caliber semi-autos. 

It's a Ruger GP100. No holster or speed loaders. For what I do I don't need the former and am not permitted to use the latter :)

Interesting: I have a total of one gun that's competition worthy? I guess these competitions are tilted in favor of large-caliber semi-autos. 

Yes, that's why some people shoot revolvers anyway. If your GP100 has a 4" barrel you should give the IDPA match at EFGA a go.

I don't have a holster but I could loan a few speedloaders and holders for the match (looks like 686 and GP100 use the same COMP III).

http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=COMP%20III

https://www.efga.net/efga-events/