Sign in to follow this  
SgtToadette

Who can reverse engineer stock pin?

Looking for a gunsmith who can "unpin" a stock and install a new one. The neater the work the better, but I want to reduce the LOP on my current stock without scrapping the buffer tube. If that means simply drilling a hole straight through the buffer tube, so be it. Here's a pic of the current pin.

isnwWSU.jpg

This something you can do yourself. Also, there is a way to go about it so you can change it multiple times with out putting multiple holes in your buffer tube.

This is my next little project: http://www.ctguntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=17930.0 but i will have an extra 4 holes in my stock.

This something you can do yourself. Also, there is a way to go about it so you can change it multiple times with out putting multiple holes in your buffer tube.

I don't believe I have the necessary tools which is a bummer. I'll definitely have the pin thrown through the latch rather than the tube when I throw the next stock on.

Just get a drill bit a slight bit larger than the hole in the pin itself. Start slowly like you ate going to drill it out. Keep drill real slow. If you don't have a variable speed drill, just do a few short bursts. What you are attempting to do is, jam the bit in the pin. Once it does in a 1/64th or so. Stop then slowling put drill in reverse and slooowly back it out. The pin should back out as you pull out the bit. Hope you get what I mean.

Usually doesn't hurt the stock or tube. Worse case scenario, just use a new pin one size bigger.

I've been successful doing it this way.

IF for whatever reason you mess up the whole in the buffer tube, just take a little tad of jb weld and plug the hole by just rubbing your finger over it and re-drill a new hole close by. But you should be ok.

Sent from my iPad 2 using T2 Pro

All you need is a punch, hammer, drill, and bit.

Not if it were blind pinned correctly. You are not looking to punch it through. It needs to be backed out without damaging holes.

Not if it were blind pinned correctly. You are not looking to punch it through. It needs to be backed out without damaging holes.

If you have a good eye, you can drill a hole on the other side and punch it out. That's what I did.

pick up an easyout tool.  since the roll pin is in plastic, you won't bind it by expanding it so you can screw the easyout into the roll pin and pull it with pliers.  Of course, you need to do this when you're in America.  Removing that pin in PRNJ makes the gun very, very dangerous.

Just get a drill bit a slight bit larger than the hole in the pin itself. Start slowly like you ate going to drill it out. Keep drill real slow. If you don't have a variable speed drill, just do a few short bursts. What you are attempting to do is, jam the bit in the pin. Once it does in a 1/64th or so. Stop then slowling put drill in reverse and slooowly back it out. The pin should back out as you pull out the bit. Hope you get what I mean.

Usually doesn't hurt the stock or tube. Worse case scenario, just use a new pin one size bigger.

I've been successful doing it this way.

IF for whatever reason you mess up the whole in the buffer tube, just take a little tad of jb weld and plug the hole by just rubbing your finger over it and re-drill a new hole close by. But you should be ok.

I have two left hands when it comes to these things. Consider me borderline retarded.

I really don't care about having a hole in the tube, especially when it's going to be covered up by the new stock, but thanks for the tip. I might give it a shot, but if I should give up/fail miserably, can any old shop do the work?

pick up an easyout tool.  since the roll pin is in plastic, you won't bind it by expanding it so you can screw the easyout into the roll pin and pull it with pliers.  Of course, you need to do this when you're in America.  Removing that pin in PRNJ makes the gun very, very dangerous.

I'll google it. Thanks!

If you have a good eye, you can drill a hole on the other side and punch it out. That's what I did.

You are missing the point. It needs to be blind pinned. Your way will not legally be able to use same hole. Once it's punched through, no goodski..

pick up an easyout tool. since the roll pin is in plastic, you won't bind it by expanding it so you can screw the easyout into the roll pin and pull it with pliers. Of course, you need to do this when you're in America. Removing that pin in PRNJ makes the gun very, very dangerous.

Buffer tube is metal though... ;)

There is no requirement that it be blind pinned.

Ummm, not so sure about that.... I'm sure others will chime in. But we've been talking, blind pinning forever.

Yeah, the easyout won't get into the rollpin far enough to effect the fit on the buffer tube.

Either way, no need to go crazy buying a special tool. Just a small bit always worked for me. Especially if you'll do it just once in your life.

Just to be clear here: I want to remove the current stock and replace it with another which will be pinned at a shorter LOP. I won't be reusing the stock which is pictured.

EDIT:  I don't think he's pinned through the buffer tube - is he?

I might be. I don't see how the movement of the stock would be prevented otherwise.

Just to be clear here: I want to remove the current stock and replace it with another which will be pinned at a shorter LOP. I won't be reusing the stock which is pictured.

I might be. I don't see how the movement of the stock would be prevented otherwise.

What is LOP? And what stock do you plan on using?

Law states that it must be permanent. But doesn't say what permanent is.

Blind pinning technically makes it irreversible. Because you can't punch it through. It's suppose to lodge into buffer tube which you also do not drill all the way through. Not trying to argue, but you are saying it's not necessary and asking what LOP is? Hmmmm....

Law states that it must be permanent. But doesn't say what permanent is.

Where in the law does it say permanent? Magazines, yes. But all its says is "telescoping stock" so in theory as long as it don't move without tools I would think it's legal. Heck someone could lather the tube with in weld or super glue if they wanted really....

i. A semi-automatic rifle that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least

two of the following:
(1) A folding or telescoping stock;
(2) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(3) A bayonet mount;
(4) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash
suppressor; and
(5) A grenade launcher;

For magazines yes.. Stocks no

Where in the law does it say permanent? Magazines, yes. But all its says is "telescoping stock" so in theory as long as it don't move without tools I would think it's legal. Heck someone could lather the tube with in weld or super glue if they wanted really....

I just looked it up to make sure and you both are correct. My mistake on the bad info.

On the other hand, that means "blind pinning" is unnecessary. And my lack of knowledge on the acronym LOP is irrelevant.

Sgt, I'd you need help and are willing to drive, I will remove it for you.