Newtonian

CR vs. Shongum

I'm a satisfied member of the Cherry Ridge range. A forum poster recently invited me to check out Shongum. The ranges are about equidistant from where I live.

I checked out Shongum online, and noticed there's a 12-month waiting list. CR apparently has no waiting list. 

Does anyone know why? Population density? Facilities? Activities? User-friendliness? I know Shongum allows hunting and CR does not, but with the abundance of hunting lands in the Sussex/Warren/Morris areas that should not be the difference.

Having no waiting list means that membership is unlimited.  This means that at times, you may have a significant wait to use a particular range or feature.

Having a waiting list means that you limit membership, and in some cases may actually require sponsorship meaning that someone vouches for your character etc...

Shongum has a 900 member cap as per their bylaws.  Both places have plus and minus features.  Depends on what your looking for. CR is much larger with a lot more rules.

Is the member cap a consequence of their physical size, or do they simply want to stay small?

Any comment on the hunting at Shongum? Is it any better than hunting on public WMA land in nearby Morris/Sussex/Warren counties? Currently a novice hunter mainly interested in turkey, goose, maybe deer. 

I signed up for the wait list last year and just got the call today. The thing is, I don't know if it's worth it to me now. I'm 10 minutes away from GFH (where I'm a member) and Bullet Hole, 20+ minutes from the Fairfield clay range. I don't shoot much in rifle, but I figured I'd just join Cherry Ridge if I ever got around to it. Shongum is an hour away. Two things that would boost my interest more: 

1. If the hunting experience is positive, that would definitely make the membership fee worth it to me even if I only went a few times.

2. Another positive would be the presence of shooting areas where I could set up idpa-style courses of fire. But I'd probably only do this infrequently. Not sure I'd join just on the basis of this.

Any thoughts?

Shongum borders state WMA, deer walk across the line of fire regularly.  Last time shooting trap they walked right across the back of the trap field in the line of fire.  Hunting at Shongum is governed by a special committee.  Must have your own insurance in addition to being a club member.  Then there is a sign up sheet for day/time as number afield is limited.  Pretty much only allowed during prime deer season.  It is a shooting club not a hunting club.  There is one 25 yard pistol area where you could set up IDPA/IPSC course of fire.  I believe, no holster drawing and no movement.  Area must be shared with others present. First year membership $380, then $220/year.  There are 4 trap ranges, a 100 yard rifle range (about 15 positions), a indoor range, and not sure if anybody still running the field archery course.