JayWilling

New NJ gun bills stalled?

As much as I'd like to believe that, I don't think Drake will have any impact on magazine restrictions. It deals only with carry outside the home. Mag restrictions and silly cosmetic AWB restrictions will have to be part of another "common use" suit.

And they'll just say 15+ round magazines and rifles with "evil" features are not in common use in NJ, therefore the ban is OK.

Nevermind the fact that outside of NJ there are millions of rifles (and hundreds of millions of magazines) in common use.

Probably true....with the 9th circuit decision in Peruta and if SCOTUS does take-up Drake, forget the 10 round restriction; the 15 round nonsense is in jeopardy.

I'm a bit young, why is it that NJ's politicians are so vehemently anti-gun? Like why are they almost excited to ban 15 rounds, or break legislative policy to ensure bills get through, or ignore the people that show up in objection to these bills.

I'm a bit young, why is it that NJ's politicians are so vehemently anti-gun? Like why are they almost excited to ban 15 rounds, or break legislative policy to ensure bills get through, or ignore the people that show up in objection to these bills.

They want votes. Our state is a blue state and dems and especially liberal dems operate on emotion, not logic. Therefore they play to the sheeples emotions and in turn win their votes. The sheeple gladly give them the votes because the believe (falsely I might add) that these laws keep them and their families safe.

That would be perfectly fine with me, as long as it is a REAL crime. Not getting "caught" at the local gas station on your way home from the range because you needed a bathroom! Don't forget, that is also a CRIME, we can not stop ANYWHERE according to their assinine rules!

I don't really agree with that assessment of the transportation statutes, but that's a discussion for another thread.

Drake won't have any effect on mag restrictions unless SCOTUS decides to add that on. But that wasn't what they were asked. 

That would come as a challenge to things like the NY SAFE Act, CT AWB, or any AWB in any states that have it (MD, CA,  MA, HI, CO, IL) and even a challenge to our own laws. Why aren't we challenging the 15rd limit?

Drake won't have any effect on mag restrictions unless SCOTUS decides to add that on. But that wasn't what they were asked.

That would come as a challenge to things like the NY SAFE Act, CT AWB, or any AWB in any states that have it (MD, CA, MA, HI, CO, IL) and even a challenge to our own laws. Why aren't we challenging the 15rd limit?

Because you'd have to take up the case with someone charged with a felony. It was passed before heller in a state with no rkba in the constitution. So people complied and you can't come up with an aggrieved class without bringing up folks who have been charged, which is less than desirable.

My guess is that it was tabled because of pressure outside the state. I think some national power-broker dems put the ka'bash on it and are worried that NJ will truly paint what Dem's want to do. And if, if, CC gets more national exposure, it won't help mid-term elections for them.

My guess is that it was tabled because of pressure outside the state. I think some national power-broker dems put the ka'bash on it and are worried that NJ will truly paint what Dem's want to do. And if, if, CC gets more national exposure, it won't help mid-term elections for them.

This is possibly one of the best explanations I've heard yet. It makes sense, I mean, if those two people were recalled in CO, as well as some of the other hits Dems took due to supporting gun control, then it's possible the party really doesn't want to be associated with the issue.

Anyone else have any other ideas? I have no clue what happened, I just hope it stays shelved...

Great explanation, and I sure hope it's right. Because it would mean that even without CC in office, there will be some sort of external check on the worst instincts of NJ Dems. And when they learn that pretty much none of their base even noticed this thing going away, maybe they'll finally realize that they have nothing to gain by kicking the hornet's nest (us.)

Thinking out loud here, but I wonder of there's some way to offer a carrot to reward this behavior, as a complement to the stick we've been beating them with.

Probably all about timing, Sweeney and his hoard aren't necessarily interested in 15 vs 10 per se, it's more about branding. Someone wants to run national and someone wants to be gov when CC leaves office. The dog pile mentality is bridgegate motivated. They can revisit the mag capacity some other time so long as it serves the purpose of tarring CC and elevating Sweeney et al in any local race.

As much as I'd like to believe that, I don't think Drake will have any impact on magazine restrictions. It deals only with carry outside the home. Mag restrictions and silly cosmetic AWB restrictions will have to be part of another "common use" suit.

Gura did answer a question at a NJ2AS meeting, it was about magazine capacity. His answer concerning handguns was if it fit into a standard grip (as designed) then it was standard capacity and of course the gun is in common use so it should be allowable via Heller. Ditto for AR-15's is my guess, 30 round is standard and there are 2-3 million AR's out and about so 30 round must be standard. Something onerous like the 7 round NY statute needs to work it's way through the courts, that and AWB is probably the next wave for SAF, NRA and others.

Gura did answer a question at a NJ2AS meeting, it was about magazine capacity. His answer concerning handguns was if it fit into a standard grip (as designed) then it was standard capacity and of course the gun is in common use so it should be allowable via Heller. Ditto for AR-15's is my guess, 30 round is standard and there are 2-3 million AR's out and about so 30 round must be standard. Something onerous like the 7 round NY statute needs to work it's way through the courts, that and AWB is probably the next wave for SAF, NRA and others.

I'm confident it will hit the courts eventually. Hopefully sooner than later, or hopefully the next POTUS will be a republican and throw some of his elk on the court.

Pretty much the same that I've said in a similar thread. Our voices maybe ignored in NJ, but heard well enough on the national level. DNC doesn't want more problems than they have already.

They are probably going to amend the bill to "address our concerns."

Some of the rumors I've heard:

1. They will grandfather existing magazines.

2. They will amend to exclude tube fed .22LR (already amended I believe)

3. They will provide a "magazine exchange" to placate an obviously pissed off Anthony Colandro. 

4. They'll open a compliance window so people don't become overnight felons. 

Of course they may do none of thls.

I think what would be sensible is if they would amend it to only apply during the commission of a crime, as an add-on charge. That would be a compromise I would accept. 

I could see 2 & 4, the others, no way.

Still don't understand why NJ gun owners continue to play defense. Please tell me why the pro gun representatives are not proposing 30 round mags, scrape silly evil gun features (flash hider, pin stock, etc) and making some real noise that way. If they proposed that legislation and the national (NRA) megaphones started screaming "NJ is trying to be like the rest of the States, the anti-gunners are committing crimes against their constituents freedom", we may start to push the tide back.

Always playing defense makes us look battered, pitiful. Start pushing forward, take it to them!

Still don't understand why NJ gun owners continue to play defense. Please tell me why the pro gun representatives are not proposing 30 round mags, scrape silly evil gun features (flash hider, pin stock, etc) and making some real noise that way.

Because it will lose in the current political climate in NJ and the headlines would read "Anti Violence policy wins!" handing the opponents a free win on a fight you couldn't possibly lose. This is very much a fight of perceptions and headlines, so you never hand your opponent a free win.

This is all about money nothing else, greenwald opened his mouth about a mag exchange. That dosent sound like paying us for mags where they cN claim they cost $1 each and rob us, but rather the state buying thousands of them and trading with us, how would they know what kind to buy and how would they source that many. Imagine how many leftovers they would have. People will have a fit if they defund more schools for gun parts, but the irony there would be great ammo for republicans to fire back at them (no puns intended there)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Face it...the low-info voters read rags like the Star-Ledger, Asbury Park Press, Trentonian, etc. All these left leaning editors make sure the liberal message is on the front page. Many people only see and read the top half of the paper as it sits by mass transit machines, news stand stacks etc. Then they turn on the 'news' and the same agenda gets the same sound bytes. Most of these voters only turn out because they think they can win. IF they are convinced (or duped) that they will lose, they won't go to vote. They want to say we won. 

The job for big money is to send a message in targeted neighborhoods is that you will lose the next election. Take their hearts out of the fight and they won't show up to vote. Keep it simple...3 or 4 big failures or promises broken. DON'T promise anything but an opportunity for more jobs. In other words you will have an opportunity to work compared to decreased benefits...your call.

Any mag exchange program would probably be run like a gun buy-back.  Bring your over-10 round mags to your local buy-back and get $5.  Or $3.  Or whatever "they" think they're worth.  I don't see any benefit...

Any mag exchange program would probably be run like a gun buy-back.  Bring your over-10 round mags to your local buy-back and get $5.  Or $3.  Or whatever "they" think they're worth.  I don't see any benefit...

1)Go there, offer $7/mag, buy a bunch of soon-to-be illegal mags

2) sell them to via gunbroker or something for $15 each to Colorado which is now limited to 15 rounds

3) ??????

4) PROFIT!

Remember, bridgegate is not at all settled. I still think that we will hear the announcement that the investigation is complete, just as the bill hit Christie's desk. He vetoes they have to try again, but if they think they can extort him into signing they will certainly try. It's all in the timing. I don't trust these scumbags as far as I can throw them.

Remember, bridgegate is not at all settled. I still think that we will hear the announcement that the investigation is complete, just as the bill hit Christie's desk. He vetoes they have to try again, but if they think they can extort him into signing they will certainly try. It's all in the timing. I don't trust these scumbags as far as I can throw them.

I don't buy it. It isn't a big enough win for them to justify it. They rather see him disgraced, the mag limits will just bring them more problems and not a lot of benefits. I subscribe to the national democrats pressure combined with the likely veto.  A failed vote would count as a loss.

Interesting to see Sweeney's comments regarding halting the Bridgegate investigation and subsequently walking it back.  This needs to be the Spring/Summer of discontent in NJ-3 to keep up the pressure:

3rd Legislative District
Part of Cumberland, Gloucester, and Salem Counties

CUMBERLAND
Bridgeton City
Deerfield Twp.
Upper Deerfield Twp.

GLOUCESTER
Clayton Boro
East Greenwich Twp.
Elk Twp.
Franklin Twp.
Glassboro Boro
Greenwich Twp.
Logan Twp.
National Park Boro
Newfield Boro
Paulsboro Boro
South Harrison Twp.
Swedesboro Boro
West Deptford Twp.
Woodbury Heights Boro
Woolwich Twp.

SALEM
Alloway Twp.
Carneys Point Twp.
Elmer Boro
Elsinboro Twp.
Lower Alloways Creek Twp.
Mannington Twp.
Oldmans Twp.
Penns Grove Boro
Pennsville Twp.
Pilesgrove Twp.
Pittsgrove Twp.
Quinton Twp.
Salem City- East Ward
Salem City- West Ward
Upper Pittsgrove Twp.
Woodstown Boro

So here's my guess:   Maybe they are actually looking at non-compliance in Connecticut and soon-to-see with the NY SAFE act and ...

One can dream ...

They might be in a way. I don't think there is any other state with a large disconnect between what they believe is real simply by them stating it and what actually winds up happening. Back when they passed the AWB, compliance was near zero. Their view of it was that they won and those evil assault rifles went away. Kind of like all the non-registered NFA items from WWII bring back went away, which is why we see news stories about a pile of machine guns from WWII showing up dumped someplace or a widow bringing them into a police station. Now, the story is look at the level of non compliance, the crazy gun nuts want to start a war. At least post mainstream news outlet spin. The last thing NJ politicians want to acknowledge is that they are powerless morons and that their brilliant ideas don't work. I'm not saying it is a primary motivator, but when they have to think about push coming to shove, they do ask themselves how they will look when the dust settles.