Sign in to follow this  
drewp

Red dot magnifier recommendations?

Hey guys,  relatively new to NJGF AND getting back into shooting.  Have been at the range a handful of times w/ my new(er) WW MPC15.  Began shooting through my iron sites.  I also then placed a Vortex strikefire red dot.  Now as I'm beginning to shoot out at greater distances (100 yd +), I've been thinking about a magnifier.  My strikefire came w/ a 2x magnifier that screws onto the eyepiece.  I've been looking at anywhere from 3x to 5x OR variable (2-5x) magnifiers w/ flip to side mounts.  Any recommendations?  I don't want to drop over $300 on one of these (prefer 100-200 range).  I will probably get a holographic site in the future (Eotech).  What should/shouldn't I look for in a magnifier?  I like the idea of variable BUT are these problematic?  Thanks.

First step: Find the nearest trash receptacle and place the 2x magnifier you have in the garbage.

I have a vortex 3x magnifier in a flip to side mount. I'm very happy with it. Built like a tank.

Wow I didn't know the one I had was discontinued. The new one is built in with the mount.

First step: Find the nearest trash receptacle and place the 2x magnifier you have in the garbage.

I have a vortex 3x magnifier in a flip to side mount. I'm very happy with it. Built like a tank.

Wow I didn't know the one I had was discontinued. The new one is built in with the mount.

I have a vortex as well and it's great.. The mount it came with was garbage, swapped it out with a larue mount and it's been great ever since...

I think it depends on the red dot, nut I ordered the lt755-30s

that is just about correct... more importantly it depends on the dot AND what mount that dot is in.. 

easiest thing is to just call Larue for the correct mount for a given application... they are insanely nice.. 

that is just about correct... more importantly it depends on the dot AND what mount that dot is in..

easiest thing is to just call Larue for the correct mount for a given application... they are insanely nice..

That's exactly what I did, extemely helpful

Anybody have any thoughts on magnification?  3x?  Why not go 5x?   Why not variable?  I see a 2-5x red dot magnifier?   Is 3x a good all around magnification?  I see most red dot magnifiers offered in this.

Intention of the gun... My AR is run and gun... But with a 3x magnifier I can make man sized hits at 300 yards...

So I have the ability for fast inside 100 yard shots with no magnification... But out to 300 with the magnifier...

As stated if you are going to get high on the magnification just get a scope... But then the intended use of the gun is different...

I had an EoTech, sold it, got a Primary Arms (Aimpoint Pro knock off), realized I have astigmatism, and now I need an EoTech since the larger MOA dot distorts.

Can you elaborate more in the red dot and the astigmatism? I'm new to red dots. Got a Primary Arms. The dot doesn't look crisp to me. Or sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't. I thought it was just my eyes tired or me not training enough to look at it with both eyes open

I wear glasses randomly if my eyes are tired. Like for example I'm writing this now with no glasses)

Can you elaborate more in the red dot and the astigmatism? I'm new to red dots. Got a Primary Arms. The dot doesn't look crisp to me. Or sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't. I thought it was just my eyes tired or me not training enough to look at it with both eyes open

I wear glasses randomly if my eyes are tired. Like for example I'm writing this now with no glasses)

A lot of people myself included see the red dot as more of a comet.. A circle with a little tiny fuzzy tail...it is because our eyes are messed up.. LOL but after shooting with a red dot for some time i really don't even notice it anymore...

An update:  I got the 3X magnifier (Vortex VMX-3t) and have been to the range twice with it.  I think it's great.  THe mount appears to be very solid and locked in to position (not wobbling around).  I agree that as you get more magnification, your red dot enlarges and distorts (comet tail affect) BUT It seems if I keep the body of the dot on target...I do pretty well.   Being a relatively newer shooter at the range, I was quite happy with my accuracy and groupings from 100-200yds with this set-up.

An update: I got the 3X magnifier (Vortex VMX-3t) and have been to the range twice with it. I think it's great. THe mount appears to be very solid and locked in to position (not wobbling around). I agree that as you get more magnification, your red dot enlarges and distorts (comet tail affect) BUT It seems if I keep the body of the dot on target...I do pretty well. Being a relatively newer shooter at the range, I was quite happy with my accuracy and groupings from 100-200yds with this set-up.

Are you focusing on the target or the dot?

I just shot a 3 gun match at OB on Sunday and was shooting clay pigeons at 50 yards with a vortex strikefire red dot with no issues. You shouldn't need a magnifier at 25 yards. Well unless you were limited to that at an indoor range.

I was limited. Its still fun. I know I don't need it. But ..why wouldn't I use it :p

Are you focusing on the target or the dot?

You know,  I don't really know.  With the 3x magnification, the body of the dot fills up the bullseye SO I guess I would have to say both ESPECIALLY when I am trying to pop off a few more rapid fire.  I just try to not get distracted by the "tail".  But here's another question.  When you're shooting through magnification, do you still keep your other eye open?  I've tried it both ways and it's a little "off" seeing the magnified image w/ one eye and the non-mag'd image down range w/ the other.  I think that this would only get increasingly worst w/ increased magnification