Sign in to follow this  
7-3-2

m&p 9c or full-size?

Im looking to burn a permit and am considering selling my full size m&p and buying a 9c. Besides the smaller size which is better for ccw (I plan on getting my out of state license eventually) another benefit of the 9c is the ability to use 12 round mags in it which is better than the 10 rounders I get stuck with since you can never find 15 round mags for the 9fs. Can anyone who has experience with the 9c give me any opinion on why I should or should not sell the FS in favor of the 9c?

Can't an FFL pin the 17 rds to 15 rds for you?  I'm sure at least a couple of FFL would do it.... Ask Pk90 or ReMixer..... I know PK90 is in AZ now so he should be able to pin and send the perm. modified 15rds to you.

Do you plan to shoot USPSA/IDPA/Steel?  Will the M&P9c your only handgun?

I have the M&P9c with Apex trigger but I also have other full size, so I guess it really depends on your need?  LOL

Not sure if I was much help.

Your right but basically its the fact that I spent way too much on my AR build and really am telling myself I cant afford to buy another handgun right now. The problem is that I have a permit sitting in my safe now waiting on OGAM lol. So what I am doing is justifying the use of my permit by saying if I sell the FS I wont be paying as much lol. Actually, maybe ill keep the full size and sell the sp101 22lr since I have barely used that since I boughtvmy 10/22 lol.

I have a full size and a compact in the mp 9mm. They are both excellent pistols but serve totally different roles. If you are looking for a compact carry gun Id go with the shield instead of the 9c. Its thinner and easier to conceal. Both shoot similarly. Only major benefit I see to the 9c is that you can use the full size mags in it. Its a great pistol but for carry id go shield all the way.

I have a full size and a compact in the mp 9mm. They are both excellent pistols but serve totally different roles. If you are looking for a compact carry gun Id go with the shield instead of the 9c. Its thinner and easier to conceal. Both shoot similarly. Only major benefit I see to the 9c is that you can use the full size mags in it. Its a great pistol but for carry id go shield all the way.

Your right, but what if I was looking at more of a jack of all trades option for range/ccw and possible HD? Im not really interested in a subcompact since I wont carry enough to justify it.

Your right, but what if I was looking at more of a jack of all trades option for range/ccw and possible HD? Im not really interested in a subcompact since I wont carry enough to justify it.

Jack of all trades, go 9c then. Its def accurate enough for hd and you can conceal it without major issues. If you want to check one out Im pretty close.

Well Kev, I told you to rip the damn permit. you wouldn't be in this situation lol. You now have an AR you can use for home defense. If you really want to use a pistol for HD you have the ruger sr11. If your going to get a pistol i would cross HD off the list of roles for this one. Go with the 9c.

Well Kev, I told you to rip the damn permit. you wouldn't be in this situation lol. You now have an AR you can use for home defense. If you really want to use a pistol for HD you have the ruger sr11. If your going to get a pistol i would cross HD off the list of roles for this one. Go with the 9c.

Joe I just can't bring myself to rip the permit it seems sooooo against everything I stand for lol. I don't know, now I am thinking about selling the 22 again and keeping the m&p .. it is my first purchase and I am kind of attached to it haha I know I am nuts.

Joe I just can't bring myself to rip the permit it seems sooooo against everything I stand for lol. I don't know, now I am thinking about selling the 22 again and keeping the m&p .. it is my first purchase and I am kind of attached to it haha I know I am nuts.

I Finally got my 3 permits, i'm in the same boat! i want a fullsize XDS9 but spent all my spending money on my AR

Oh and I also just don't think with how close my house is to the neighbors that Ill ever feel comfortable using a rifle for HD purposes.

9mm/.223 i think you got the same chance going through walls. I'm not ballistics expert though, so i really have no clue.

9mm/.223 i think you got the same chance going through walls. I'm not ballistics expert though, so i really have no clue.

The muzzle energy of the 223 is almost 5x's as much as a 9mm and the velocity is almost 3x's as much, factor that in with the size of the round and the fact that most HD 9mm rounds will be hollow point and the expansion will slow them down upon impact its not even close lol.

http://www.ballistics101.com/9mm.php

http://www.ballistics101.com/223_remington.php

The full size is a great gun but a little big for CCW, I've been carrying the M&P 9C for the past 3 years as my off duty and love it, I use my 12 rounders for CCW and 15 rounders with X-grips to and from work. Can't go wrong with the 9C

The full size is a great gun but a little big for CCW, I've been carrying the M&P 9C for the past 3 years as my off duty and love it, I use my 12 rounders for CCW and 15 rounders with X-grips to and from work. Can't go wrong with the 9C

Plus the size of the slide isn't that much shorter than the full size to affect your velocity/sight radius to the point that you'll really notice right?

I have both the shield and 9c. Both are great guns. The shield is a little smaller and easier to conceal, but you are losing 4 rounds. The shield is really nice if you are on the smaller side. If you have a larger frame or wear your clothes a little big, get the 9c. If you decide to sell the sp101, I might be interested.

You will notice at 25 yards

Well, I won't be needing to shoot further than 25 yard in HD and if were outside and somebody is shooting at me from over 25 yards out i am probably going to be outgunned anyway and should probably be more worried about getting the hell away than shooting back lol.

Well.. seems like you don't use the SP101 22Lr and already have the SR11... in that case.. if I was in your shoes, I would sell the SP101 and pickup the M&P9c or the Shield if you're sticking with S&W.  I also have the S&W factory 15 rds mags and use the x-grip and it works well.

I was in the same boat, and I just bought a P938 because I already have the M&P9c.... so.. if you're going straight for carry... go subcompact... if jack of all trades go compact.

If you're really concern about the sight radius here are some values for reference, measured from the end the front sight to the rear sight notch.

M&P9c     - 5.75"

SIG P229 - 5.625"

CZ-75      - 6.125"

PPQ         - 6.1"

you want to stick with ruger? did you shoot the xd9 last week?

Lol I love rugers value in general. I never expected to have more rugers than anything else but I do anf I dont regret that either. They are reliable, rugged, the company has the best customer service around and the biggest seller to me is theyre made in the USA.

Even the 22 Im interested in selling is honestly an awesome gun but I just dont use it because Ive found that I really prefer recoil when shooting handguns for the fun aspect. Plus if I want to go plinking I would rather use the 10/22 takedown personally lol.

Even the 22 Im interested in selling is honestly an awesome gun but I just dont use it because Ive found that I really prefer recoil when shooting handguns for the fun aspect. Plus if I want to go plinking I would rather use the 10/22 takedown personally lol.

i have to get a 10/22 takedown at some point.

I asked because thats all you've mentioned. the sr9c looks nice but haven't shot one to give you feed back your looking for.

Yeah I guess my thing is every smith and ruger product ive bought so far I have no complaints about, so I just tend to trust the companies and the products the put out, I also like buying stuff tat is 100% american made if given the opportunity. Nothing against the other manufacturers its just im hard wired that way lol.