Rob0115

Thoughts on this stock for an SPR

http://midwestpx.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_140&products_id=817

I saw this cool looking thing at midwest PX and loved it.  I think it fits into the PRS area, eh?  Or is it more aggressive?

I really like the Luth-AR stock. It uses the same A2/rifle extension as a PRS, comes in at nearly half the weight and a good bit less in cost while still having an adjustable length of pull and cheekweld. It's a very well thought out design and the material selection seems pretty good. From what I can tell, it's a fiberglass-reinforced polymer similar to what Magpul and New Frontier Armory use so it should be pretty durable. For me, the weight is the biggest advantage over the PRS. Ounces add up and can really throw off a rifle's center of balance. SPRs are dual purpose guns and to balance a PRS, you'll want a heavier profile barrel or heavier handguard. But then you've added weight to two (or three) large parts of the rifle which then makes it a little unwieldy at closer ranges. Once you start adding weight to an SPR, you run the danger of turning it into a DMR, IMO. My SPR with an 18" barrel and 14" handguard weighs 7.5lbs without an optic which is pretty darn light. But more importantly, the balance is perfect and the rifle can be driven from target to target inside of 25 yards with ease. Not as easy as one of my SBRs or a 16" carbine but it's not much slower.

Side note, we should have more of those either later this week or early next week.