PK90

Remington 700 Recall ......

I saw this over the weekend ... I will need to send mine in.

But to be honest, I am sort of glad.  To be 100% truthful, there has been an issue with my Remington 700 AAC-SD .308 since I bought it.  I have had trouble chambering rounds, it's not smooth at all and sometimes difficult going in/coming out.  I have read on many internet forums that it is a very common problem with the AAC-SD model, they believe it was in the hinged-floorplate assembly- the little "spring" (piece of metal bent in a z-shape) is not working with the follower to let the chambering work properly.  I had contacted Remington and asked for a new assembly or spring or follower or whatever they recommended- they wanted it sent in and checked and said it would be 16 weeks minimum.  Sort of sucks with a brand new rifle.

I knew I was going to get a new stock and as I searched for new stocks I quickly realized I wanted a detachable magazine type.  I went from many many different options and wound up with the best and a Manners Composite Stock MCS T5A DBM - which is a dream and dropped in magically, tightened up to the correct torque with a proper in-lb wrench and magic... but the problem did not go away.  And I tried to pretend it was no big deal but- with this recall I figure I can kill two birds with one stone, if it has to go back anyway I might as well have the problem addressed.

And as I have moved to FL and we have 30 acres of land here, and when we build the house we will also be eventually setting up a 600-yd-range, and I plan on using the rifle a lot (but not for a year or two realistically) I really have plenty of time.  It just sucks that they said it was FINE, no problems, all good, and suddenly they change their minds.

I am glad that I ditched my XMark Pro trigger a while ago...

And I believe that is the correct answer. My wife's 700 is covered by this recall but I think that instead of dealing with shipping shenanigans the right answer is Brownells, a credit card, and an aftermarket trigger. 

What a freakin hassle with UPS.  First they tell me it is OK to pick it up at home.  Then they say no way I have to go to a UPS store who tells me no way, I need to go to a hub.  The guy in the local hub was great and tells me they could've picked it up at my home.  Hope it comes back OK.  I had to leave the picatinny rail on because the screws had loctite.  Remington said it should be OK. 

I know I could have put a Timney on but didn't want to spring for the bucks. 

Anyway, just warning you all about UPS headaches if you ship yours back.

If anybody wants to dump their 700 SPS tactical in .308 because of this, let me know.

I was just about to put mine up for sale, but not because of the recall. I just heard about the recall. I am sending it in to Remington this week to have the recall done, when I get it back it will be going up for sale. It is a 700 SPS Tactical 20" in .308.

Folks who said to do the Timney were right.  No reply from Remington yet.  Got more annoyed after I figured out it took two weeks for boxes and labels, another two for them to check the rifle in and a month after that I don't have it back yet. Elapsed time is 8 weeks and counting.  They offer 40% off a purchase at their online store for compensation.  That is like "salt on the wound". Shouldn't have to buy more stuff from them to get compensated.  

Hope it comes back OK. Sent a letter to them, let's see what they say.  

Last Remington product for me.  

I sent a letter into Remington about an issue I had with their ammo, and an issue I had with how they resolved the issue.  I think the ammo department is separate from the firearms department, however I never heard back from them.  I won't be purchasing their ammo anymore, however I haven't been pushed away from purchasing their firearms.

Just recently went through a process of elimination on a new shotgun. Remington, Benelli, Beretta, Mossberg.  Care to guess who won?  That's right, Benelli.  Waiting for it to get to LGS.

Just recently went through a process of elimination on a new shotgun. Remington, Benelli, Beretta, Mossberg.  Care to guess who won?  That's right, Benelli.  Waiting for it to get to LGS.

+1 for Benelli!

Pity. After five million sold, surely there had to be a couple of bumps along the way. I am also inclined to believe that the trigger "problem" and subsequent accidents may have been user-created problems through negligence.

The original 700 with the old style flat-back trigger wasn't a bad design for the package price. It was pretty good for a factory trigger. 

Got it back with the Badger Picatinny rail still on it.  Was worried but the Remington Customer Service rep was right it was OK to leave it on.  Looks like they replaced the trigger.  The new one is also marked with a small punch mark to indicate it was "fixed".  Also complained about the feeding and their gunsmith fixed it.  It is now loads smooth a butter.  It really is a great rifle.  Just need to re-sight it again.

I had an issue with my VTR where it was hard to chamber a round in or extract it.  i read all over the place that the extractor was an issue in m700 so i bought a new one.  turnes out before i removed the old one that there was a build up of carbon UNDER the extractor which can be cleaned out with the right dental pick and solves that issue.  i replaced it anyway since i had it, but i now know to look there first if it happens again.