Sign in to follow this  
H.M. Murdock

Mossberg 500 good for doin fancy math

or "How to calculate Pi in a post-apocalyptic world"

https://medium.com/the-physics-arxiv-blog/c1eb776193ef

Imagine the following scenario. The end of civilisation has occurred, zombies have taken over the Earth and all access to modern technology has ended. The few survivors suddenly need to know the value of π and, being a mathematician, they turn to you. What do you do?

If ever you find yourself in this situation, you’ll be glad of the work of Vincent Dumoulin and Félix Thouin at the Université de Montréal in Canada. These guys have worked out how to calculate an approximate value of π using the distribution of pellets from a Mossberg 500 pump-action shotgun, which they assume would be widely available in the event of a zombie apocalypse.

Do not try this indoors.  Or talk about it in math class if you're a student in a NJ public school.

Thats math I thought I would never use in life while learning in school. Constant complaining to my math teachers "I'll never need this in life, why are you teaching this?" Now I'm a plumber, and use it almost every day along with Pythagorean theorem.

But this is an interesting way I never thought of to calculate. I'm also pretty sure in a zombie apocalypse I would still be able to find a scientific calculator somewhere if I needed it. Just about every desk in every building will have one. I would prefer to save the shells. If all else fails just do your equation on paper with a pen like we all used to back in the day.