Sign in to follow this  
Joe P.

Little help/clarity please....

hey all , i just started to shoot IPSC and i use a Beretta 96a1 .40 cal. (production/minor) .. horrified at some of my scoring.   Other than slowing my pace down and making better shots , which i hope will happen in time as my nerves settle. How can i move to Limited 10 to score Major and get the higher variable. we are limited to 10 rounds per mag. 

oh and i use 180gr Win

looked at the rules and it appears that i could qualify for Limited 10 .but then i hear Production is always Minor

please set me straight or steer me to an old thread

i know, dump the Beretta.... (but i love her)

As long as the ammunition you're using generates major Power Factor (165 or higher) just sign-up for limited 10 Major at the next match. That means your 180 grain bullets must have a minimum MV of 917 fps.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

i know, dump the Beretta.... (but i love her)

Nothing wrong with the Beretta. Ben Stoeger is one of the top production USPSA shooters and he uses one. Just use what you are comfortable with.

If you can hit your target with slow, deliberate fire, I'd say stick with what you've got and slow yourself down. Wait for a sufficiently good sight picture before your press the trigger - every time. Don't try to do "double-taps" - do controlled pairs with a reacquired sight picture. The more you do it the faster you will be able to do it.

You can add speed to accuracy. You cannot add accuracy to speed.

Yes, Mr. Stu .. "double taps" are my downfall .. going through stage in my head , slow and deliberate , nice pace of fire , show clear. great!

when in actuality , i forget everything at the line,  first few shots are ok.. then it falls apart as i go rogue and have some kind of anxiety attack and "double tap" everything else.   this Fri will be my third match at my club, i have to make a real effort to slow down. Some of the guys that shoot are so smooth, deliberate and FAST..it can be intimidating. I guess i was expecting more from myself, but i also have a greater respect for IPSC/USPSA shooting games. The people i shoot with are very patient and helpful and offer plenty of advice and i like the attention to safety. i guess all this means is that i have to shoot more ....ALOT MORE!!!  

thanks for all the help

Routine will be the name of the game, get yourself a plan of action and stick to it. 

obviously, the walk through is going to be very important

-Read the COF paper yourself, twice, 

-Walk through the stage as much as time allows,

-count your targets - Know exactly where every target is on that stage

-PLAN your reloads. - This is one thing that would save countless time on stages for new uspsa shooters. Running the gun dry, not realizing the slide is locked back, and then taking another 2-3 seconds lining your sights up until the gun goes click, then doing a reload, -- all said in done, it probably robs 6-8 seconds from your stage time.

Also, " double taps " isnt simply lining up your sights and pulling the trigger twice, it's 2 separate controlled shots, watch your front sight, when it comes back down , crank out your 2nd shot. 

As a new shooter, concentrate on getting your hits first , and then worry about speed. Speed will come as you get more familar with the game, calling your shots, and breaking down stages.

Most importantly, dont be one of those schmucks who doesn't help tape and reset the stage. 

And oh yeh, have fun.

-alec

first off, i am an excellent taper guy, if we were timed on taping for speed and accuracy i would win hands down! .. HA! 

secondly, this is why i joined this forum, in hopes of getting sound info and experience from people who excel at these games.

its a little surreal to me still, after thinking and wishing i had access to these types of activities for so long,and now that i do , when i get to the line , it's like a dream sequence out of a movie. i know it sounds stupid, but after the beep all i see is targets and my sights are a wavy blur.

Slow and Low is my new thing 

freaking love this sh*t

Ty Alec

Alec's advice is solid..

Biggest mistake I have made is trying to just shoot faster. Results in 1 good hit and 1 "who knows where" hit on every target. I am trying to break that double tap habit myself, tough to do when its the only way you've shot.

Don't worry about your times, just worry about seeing your front sight and making your hits. The more you do it, the faster you will get.

It's tricky to post links from my mobile but search youtube for Travis Haley and Ron Avery. They have a good training technique called the stripe drill. I have used it to good effect for developing trigger control while speeding up.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

All excellent advice here!  Joe it sounds to me as if you have tunnel vision at the start signal.  Remember to get a couple breaths into your lungs before the timer sounds.  And it's O-K to tell the RO that you're NOT READY if you don't "feel right" or understand something about the stage...like how or when to draw from a start facing the audience of other shooters.  Everybody there will help you.  Everybody there started at a level somewhere around YOURS, so they know what you're going through.  So take that deep breath, THEN nod yer head that you're "ready".  Then follow your plan and make your Alphas.

You'll do FINE!

Dave

The apparent men-in-black memory eraser technology built into the timer is really just a side effect of trying to carry out a complex task under duress. It is perfectly normal and you will adapt to it.

Think back to when you first learned to drive. You had to consciously think about where your feet were, what pedal to use and how much, what you were doing with the steering wheel, what direction you wanted to go, what direction you were actually going, what speed, what was around you, when to use the blinker, and many more things all at once and it felt overwhelming so you went really slowly to stay as safe as you could.

Now think of driving today, the operation of the vehicle is second nature and you can more easily concentrate on what else is going on around you and you are happier driving at faster speeds than when you first started.

This will happen as you become more familiar with what you are doing with your handgun too.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

All excellent advice here!  Joe it sounds to me as if you have tunnel vision at the start signal.  Remember to get a couple breaths into your lungs before the timer sounds.  And it's O-K to tell the RO that you're NOT READY if you don't "feel right" or understand something about the stage...like how or when to draw from a start facing the audience of other shooters.  Everybody there will help you.  Everybody there started at a level somewhere around YOURS, so they know what you're going through.  So take that deep breath, THEN nod yer head that you're "ready".  Then follow your plan and make your Alphas.

You'll do FINE!

Dave

yes .. it's the Lincoln Tunnel with accidents in all three tubes..lol