Barms

Interesting hearing protection factoid...

So my audiologist tells me. Two layers of hearing protection does not give you "double" the protection. She said for example 25db plugs plus 25db muffs does not equal 50db protection. She said it would only be like 27 protection.

Also, what a HUGE thing i learned about proper fit. I am so happy when i picked up my plugs from her she taught me how to get them in my canal properly. I had previously owned Sure Fires and didn't think they were so great. Well duh it's because I never really knew how to get them in right.

But anyway. That's my pub serv announcement about hearing protection. If you think you feel better doubling up then have at it but don't be fooled that its actual MORE protection. (I know it sounds like bull, we all sense that doubling up "feels" more effective, but she said it's the science of sound waves). I think maybe the double up reduces the vibration. Anyway. Please make sure you make that extra effort to wear your protection proper.

Correct and incorrect at the same time.  Doubling protection doesn't double the dB reduction, however doubling protection does INCREASE the amount of protection.  Furthermore, dB is a logarithmic scale.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logarithmic_scale

A logarithmic scale is a scale of measurement that displays the value of a physical quantity using intervals corresponding to orders of magnitude, rather than a standard linear scale. The function of the curve may include an exponent which is what gives it its curved nature.

A simple example is a chart whose vertical or horizontal axis has equally spaced increments that are labeled 1, 10, 100, 1000, instead of 0, 1, 2, 3. Each unit increase on the logarithmic scale thus represents an exponential increase in the underlying quantity for the given base (10, in this case).

Wow, so there ya go, she was kind of misleading. The feeling really is more protection.

So would a 25 plus 27 yield you more than 27 though? Is it additive?

The thing I'm still trying to get used to is JackDaWack a while ago talked about the difference between "felt" percussion versus decibels.

But anyway my 25 27 thing I'm curious about.

Barms -- what kind of hearing protection did you get?

Fitted custom made plugs?  

I'm ready to get away from foam plugs and muffs are too hot and get irritating with glasses for me -- plus I need a hat to protect my dome from burning

Barms -- what kind of hearing protection did you get?

Fitted custom made plugs?

I'm ready to get away from foam plugs and muffs are too hot and get irritating with glasses for me -- plus I need a hat to protect my dome from burning

Yes. The custom made ones. They were $175 all-in which included both office visits. I have read on here some people have done theirs for $150 I believe. I'm hoping to try them out on Friday.

I can't imagine wearing double.. are you able to hear anything like that?

and to think.. I have fired my 308 AR without anything on at least one range trip..

And hows your ringing ? If you say "not bad" then you are supernan. I did one clay shooting day with one plug not perfectly seated last year I have constant tea kettle whistle in my head now. And it's pretty bad.

I can't imagine wearing double.. are you able to hear anything like that?

and to think.. I have fired my 308 AR without anything on at least one range trip.. 

It all has to do with the environment.  In an indoor range, double protection with rifles in the next port makes the noise barely bearable.  On a grassy plain with no audiologically reflective surfaces nearby, you're doing far less damage though you're still doing damage.

Barms - I can't tell you what a 25 and 27 give you or a 27 and 31.  More is better, however less, fitted well is better than more, fitted poorly (as you found out).

While I don't completely understand all the scientific mumbo jumbo , I can tell you that being hearing impaired sucks! As a kid way back when, we didnt use

hearing protection when shooting. I liked my music loud and most of my life the industries i worked in generally involved high decibel sound. PROTECT YOUR HEARING!.

i'm so sick of saying excuse me or having no idea what someone said. Hind sight is 20/20. Although some of my hearing problems are genetic. Most of my family have poor hearing as we get older.

There's a portion of your hearing that is done OUTSIDE the ear canal.  Fitted plugs will do wonders, but there's sufficient conduction from the bones surrounding the cartilage of your ear that also channels sound into your ear drum.  Muffs help attenuate this additional sound conduction path.

All that being said, there's nothing quite like a set of custom made ear plugs.  My brother initially got them as a little kid because he had tubes (to alleviate ear aches) and the plugs needed to be worn when swimming.  They helped him so much in preventing swimmers ear and subsequent infections that my mom got them for me as well.  The fit of a custom ear plug is just amazing.  There's no pressure or discomfort in the ear canal like there tends to be with store bought expanding plugs.

Go to a NRA High Power match 60 abreast and you will wish for any and all protection you can use at once.  During timed and rapid fire legs the noise and percussion is tremendous.  Another reason no muzzle brakes are allow during the match.  Plugs, cotton stuffed muffs and still to noisy.  Hearing loss is subtle and occurs over time. Get the protection now or you may never hear the laughter or cries of those grandchildren.  Something in life are worth the trouble.

We all wear it. It's just that some isn't enough. Or frankly some people are just not sensitive. The crazy thing about my serious tinnitus is that it has not affected my actual hearing. The audiologist said "your hearing is better than mine". However I still compete with the constant whistling though. I am able to pass the hearing tests despite the high pitch whistling

But anyway back to protection. I always feel like i never have enough. I guess I'm just sensitive to the THUMP.

After you pick them up could you give a review. I'm looking for something more comfortable then the HL compact sport elec. that I wear now but like hearing the conversation around me mostly for safety. The regular push in rubber ones become annoying after a while and the expanding never seem to seat right. I have the typical hum in one ear and would like to prevent from getting it in stereo! Years ago I was planning on getting a pair for riding they have booths set up at most motorcycle shows just never followed thru.

Thanks

John

And hows your ringing ? If you say "not bad" then you are supernan. I did one clay shooting day with one plug not perfectly seated last year I have constant tea kettle whistle in my head now. And it's pretty bad.

there was substantial ringing immediately following the shooting... it was loud.. 

I spent $10 on Amazon for the DIY molded plugs. They go in your ear as a gooey putty and come out solid, including rear canal and however much of your ear you want to fill. I even made an extra pair that I fitted my ear buds to and turned them into a "sound canceling" ear bud of sorts. They are 2 years old and work great. I shoot my .308 and have no issue at all. I use them 90% of the time, and my Howard Leighton's the rest of the time.