Vicious

SIG p226 or Beretta 92fs (or M9 variant)

I want a 9mm DA/SA full size pistol. Both of these point and shoot well for me. That being said, I only want one. I know they are both solid, and that I probably won't be dissapointed either way, but are there any discernible differences between the two? Any objective reason to get one over the other?

Also, I have read some negatives about SIG QC over the past few years, but my friend bought a p226 in 2012 and it seems fine. Just people raging? Maybe someone that owns one or both of these fine firearms can chime in.

Thanks for reading.

I own the Beretta M9A1, love it.  Must be 700 or 800 rounds through it and never a single problem of any kind.  Shoots great, looks great, easy to clean.  I don't own a Sig but the local PD has them for duty guns and the guys I've spoken with have no complaints with them.  I'm pretty sure the Beretta is a couple hundred less expensive that the Sig is going to be, so for me that could be a deciding factor but like you said can't go wrong with either.

Thank you for the great input so far. I was not aware of the xchange kit, but they look pretty awesome, and I can basically have a .40 for $380. The Beretta is very attractive, and that is possibly the biggest split for me. The feel of the trigger is also very different on them, but I enjoy both. That xchange kit may be tipping the scales a bit though.

Both of these guns are nice.  I would lean toward the Beretta and get the 92A1 series Beretta with the removable front sight if I went with the Beretta.  Other than that, either would be good.  I would expand your choices to a CZ 75B.  Pick one up and feel it in your hand.  CZs are amazing!  And I would consider the SIG 229, as well, even though it isn't "full size".  I would think that the SIG 226 would be better if you have medium-sized hands, as the Beretta really is for someone with large hands.  The E2 SIG would be even better for smaller or medium hands.  A used Beretta 92 Vertec with a 1911 style grip would be awesome, too, especially for smaller hands and has removable front sight and rail similar to the A1 series Berettas.  A SIG 226 E2 would be quite nice, with the Nitron finish!  Major difference, keep in mind that the SIG doesn't have a safety and the Beretta does.  The Beretta is a much nicer and sexier weapon.  The SIG is more chunky.   And, magazines and holsters, and initial layout will be  less for the Beretta, and a used 92 could be had at a nice bargain.

My favorite SIG is the 229 Enhanced Elite w/ night sights and SRT trigger.  In my hands it just feels better to me than the Beretta and I personally like the size over the 226.  But, for a full-size handgun, I would rather have a S&W M&P 9 striker-fired w/ updated Apex trigger than either of them.  But, if I was getting a "metal" 9mm, I would get a CZ 75B matte stainless.  It is all steel, unlike the Beretta 92. and once the trigger is worn in, it will hold its own against the Beretta.

I have about 10K rounds down the pipe on my 92FS.  1 FTL in all those rounds, and she was pretty damn dirty at that point, and it was cheapo steel cased stuff (which I have shot a lot of).  She has consumed every type of round I have thrown at her with just that 1 hiccup.  Love the gun.

I have shot 226 and like them.

My GF has a 229 and that gun is so easy to shoot accurately it is silly.

You can't go wrong with either, but i do so love my Beretta.

If you want to give both a spin, let me know.

IMHO, unless you have trouble getting permits, I'm not a big fan of conversion kits.  For an incremental amount of money, you can get a decent used and dedicated .40 or .22 shooter.  But, to each his own.

As others stated, 92FS is a big gun that shoots 9x19.  Sig P226 isn't that much smaller.

Off the top of my head, Sig has a rail and option for SRT.  92FS has D spring trigger option.  There should be several options for swapping grips on both, but I'm more familiar with the Sig options.

I have shot the 92Fs  nice gun    led me to buy A Px4 9mm.   I must say carefully that the Px4 was the only handgun I have ever traded.

I have the P226 and it is A great shooter. In .22LR, 9mm, 40 S&W, and 357sig. Yep all 4 calibers on 1 platform. As fas as sig CS goes I have never had the need to use them. I have talked with them. You will always see more un happy people when it comes to opinions of any CS as they are the ones that tend to complain. More so then A happy CS customer.

If you want a metal da/sa gun, do yourself a favor and take a look at the CZ. Having worn out one (somewhere around 75k rounds the slide to frame fit isn't what it was but it still works, just losing accuracy, and it is on its second barrel) and seeing that it is pretty much the top dog in practical pistol competition in its class, you kinda have to look at it. You might still like the others better, but you owe it yourself to try one.

I saw that link BlueLineFish, and that is one sexy gun. A lot of good input here, and I am seeing a lot of love for the Beretta. The SIG is nice, but I know more $$ is not the best indicator of better performance. My Glock can attest to that.

The only reason CZ didn't make my list is because I like guns that were/ are used by our military. I have held one, and I do like it. Now just isn't the time. Haha

I really appreciate the input from everyone. The majority of p226 vs 92fs threads just become brand bashing and story telling about how the M9 never should have been adopted.

Thanks again.

Just my two cents:

There really are not that many bad guns out there vs good ones. The two you mention are both good.

Bottom line, as mentioned by others.

Get what feels right to you. What works for you may not work for others and vice versa.

Only advice you need to listen to is when the quorum all flick their boogers at a single selection and scream 'Nooooooooooo'!

;)

Sent from my iPhone using TT 2 Pro

Thank you everyone for your help.

If any of you are interested in my decision, I am going with (please do a drum roll in your head) the SIG p226.

It was a hard decision because I like the look of the 92fs (or M9) so much. In the end though, there were a few key factors. I have a medium size hand, and they both fit me well, so I had to get really particular to make a good choice. Side by side, the balance of the SIG seemed better. While holding the Beretta (empty) it seemed a little muzzle heavy. Also, the Beretta decocker/ safety was a little uncomfortable to operate, as was the magazine release. The trigger on the SIG seemed to be better (read lighter) in both single and double action. While dry firing the Beretta, I felt as though I had to pull the trigger too far back. To the point where I was questioning my grip.

Again, thank you everyone. NJGF rocks.

You made a good choice....either way. I was issued the 92FS when I was in the CG and also had the option of using the 1911 as we were in transition then. I liked the 1911 in MY hands. I tried the 92 again as a civilian and went with a similar issue for the CG a Sig 229 Elite 40, which I also have a 9mm barrel for and a 22LR upper for. I also like Glocks and own a few. But as a duty weapon, the Sig is my go to. FWIW -  I would have no concerns having my go to as a 92 or a Glock. There is a reason why these 3 keep showing up in duty holsters across the US.