Shawnmoore81

A1 kits

Those kits you see for the old used m16-a1 kits missing the barrel, sear and lower. Are they legal in nj with the m16 hammer, disconnector and selector? Also I never worked with any for of a full auto. When the selector is on auto what stops the gun from firing the 2nd round since it has an m16 disconnector? I assume the sear maybe pauses it so the hammer has more momentum. I want to do an a1 and that might be a good option. Just get a barrel with a brake.

Full auto guns have a second sear and pin above the selector. Without the auto sear, the gun won't fire auto.

While a full auto BCG is OK, I believe a full auto trigger group constitutes a machine gun.

Federally speaking, you are allowed to own the select fire FCG if you don't own an AR or firearm that would accept them.  With ARs, the machine gun is the lower receiver once the sear pin hole is drilled.

Yup. Those are auto parts.

95C413C4-C325-46EA-BDE4-51DC8F044774_zps

Still, and someone please correct me

If I am wrong, but without an auto sear I don't think they will function in any manner other than semi. I have never tried though, it's all based on me working out the theory and cycle of operations in my head while looking at my auto carbine.

You also can't just drop an auto sear into any lower. In addition to the hole that needs to be drilled, you would have to add some material (which is significantly harder than removing material) to the walls of the lower on either side of the auto sear....

Where did you get the kit from?

There needs to be a pause to give the bolt time to go fully into battery before the hammer goes forward. The hammer should be hitting the bottom of the BC not the firing pin.... I think.....

The hammer is being cocked as the bolt travels to the rear. Without the auto sear to lock the bolt back before being tripped by the bolt moving forward again the hammer should just "ride" the BCG forward, and you will get a single shot carbine..... Again, theory as I can't get to the range and don't want to pull auto sear from my rifle.

MWPX any insight?

There needs to be a pause to give the bolt time to go fully into battery before the hammer goes forward. The hammer should be hitting the bottom of the BC not the firing pin.... I think.....

The hammer is being cocked as the bolt travels to the rear. Without the auto sear to lock the bolt back before being tripped by the bolt moving forward again the hammer should just "ride" the BCG forward, and you will get a single shot carbine..... Again, theory as I can't get to the range and don't want to pull auto sear from my rifle.

MWPX any insight?

Installing the M16 FCG minus the sear can result in an uncontrollable burst.  I believe ATF Tech Branch has proven this.  As for installing the sear, yes, it's more than just drilling the third pin hole and in every lower I have come across, has required removing material from the interior walls of the lower.  A pretty simple job with a mill.  But for legal purposes, the second that third pin hole is drilled regardless of any other operations done to a finished AR receiver, it is considered a machine gun.

You are correct in that once you mill a semi auto lower you would have removed too much metal to fit in the auto parts.

I can convert any semi-auto lower to a full-auto configuration with a few minutes and a mill.  Installing the auto sear requires removal of material from the interior walls of the lower and drilling the third pin hole over the selector.  I'll snap some pics of a converted lower that I did later today/tonight.

So you would still be ok with just a semi auto two position safety right

In what sense?  Functionally, it shouldn't be any different from a standard FCG.  Legally speaking, I wouldn't want to explore it and be the test case for either BATFE or NJSP.

Midwest. What happens to your samples if you close up shop?

Post sample machine guns are destroyed or sold if I give up my SOT.  Which I don't see happening for 50-ish years by which time either private firearms ownership will be completely abolished or the BATFE will be abolished.

The reason I ask is specifically from seeing people buying the noveske memorial geissele ssf trigger and others using the same trigger. Since they don't have a sear or safety I can't see how it would be full auto. But I don't know the legalities. That's why I ask

In what sense?  Functionally, it shouldn't be any different from a standard FCG.  Legally speaking, I wouldn't want to explore it and be the test case for either BATFE or NJSP.

Post sample machine guns are destroyed or sold if I give up my SOT.  Which I don't see happening for 50-ish years by which time either private firearms ownership will be completely abolished or the BATFE will be abolished.

From your mouth to.....

Hopefully it won't be that long.