Sign in to follow this  
brucin

NICS open on Good Friday? or this Saturday for that matter?

I went to make a purchase today at 6 PM and was told that NICS was closed. Apparently they closed at 4:30 today and are closed tomorrow also.

Does anyone know if NICS will be open Saturday?

According to wha tI was told on Tuesday - they are closed for the holiday.

They were either down, or extremely backed up because we dealers couldn't 

get any NICS checks approved after 5pm and with being off tomorrow I will assume

Sat will be a disaster with them being behind.

Don't expect to go into a store / dealer on Sat and get a NICS check done right away.

I'd be surprised if they even get done on Sat. - I'm thinking more like Monday at this point..............

I'm probably just going to wait till Monday then. I'm not getting anything special that's in danger of selling out and I don't want to hang around the shop waiting for the civil servants to do their jobs. (not talking about the store staff). Thanks for the info.

According to wha tI was told on Tuesday - they are closed for the holiday.

They were either down, or extremely backed up because we dealers couldn't 

get any NICS checks approved after 5pm and with being off tomorrow I will assume

Sat will be a disaster with them being behind.

Don't expect to go into a store / dealer on Sat and get a NICS check done right away.

I'd be surprised if they even get done on Sat. - I'm thinking more like Monday at this point..............

I had a NICS done at 7 PM and it went through in about 5 min

New Jersey NICS unit are not Federal employees  -They are NJ State employees

and as such are off because Good Friday is a State holiday.................

I think his point is they are accessing a National Database and like you said the State Police have delegated this task to their non-essential civilian employees. Non-essential equals off today, Columbus Day and for foul weather. Good work if you could get it, LOL. So if that’s the case the state should have outsourced this function since the State Police aren’t the ones actually performing the NICS. Just another reason why NJ firearms laws are a joke.

Now take PA for example…  Pennsylvania Firearm Dealers and County Sheriffs access the PICS program through a toll free telephone number, which is available for service from 8:00 a.m. until 10:00 p.m. seven days a week, including holidays. If an individual is eligible to acquire a firearm, the PICS background check replaces the former, mandatory five-day waiting period. Operation has shown that approximately 60% of the individuals attempting to purchase a firearm are approved within minutes.

NJ state workers get 12 paid holidays.  Too many in my opinion.  Plus I see no reason why they cannot be open.  PA does it seven days a week. Again, like everything else this state does, make it difficult for citizens to conduct business with the state.  We are plagued by rules, forms, procedures that most states do not have.  Why do we put up with it?

NJ state workers get 12 paid holidays.  Too many in my opinion.  Plus I see no reason why they cannot be open.  PA does it seven days a week. Again, like everything else this state does, make it difficult for citizens to conduct business with the state.  We are plagued by rules, forms, procedures that most states do not have.  Why do we put up with it?

I agree though, today everyone should be at work.  If you want to be religious and go to church- use a vacation or a personal day.  I've never viewed Good Friday as that "big" of a holiday like Christmas, New Years, Thanksgiving, or Independence Day.  I see it as more of a second rate holiday, like St Patricks Day, or  Valentines Day.  Yom Kippur is considered to be the holiest of days for Jewish people(or so Wikipedia says- I'm not Jewish so I don't know), yet it isn't a day state employees get off.  I don't agree with people getting off for Election day either.  Polls are open late, there is no reason people can't go to the polls after work.

I could have been called into work today, as it isn't a federal holiday. 

So much for separation of church and state 

Would you mind pointing out where it says that?  It does not :)

It basically says the State cannot have an official religion.

That being said its not a

Separation of Church and State

its a

Separation of Union and State :)

Nics should be open on all holidays except the Big ones Ie Christmas. Memorial Day, etc etc not every holiday. I still see no reason they left early on Thursday, in fact they should have worked longer hours to make up for the holiday closing.

I agree though, today everyone should be at work.  If you want to be religious and go to church- use a vacation or a personal day.  I've never viewed Good Friday as that "big" of a holiday like Christmas, New Years, Thanksgiving, or Independence Day.  I see it as more of a second rate holiday, like St Patricks Day, or  Valentines Day.  Yom Kippur is considered to be the holiest of days for Jewish people(or so Wikipedia says- I'm not Jewish so I don't know), yet it isn't a day state employees get off.  I don't agree with people getting off for Election day either.  Polls are open late, there is no reason people can't go to the polls after work.

I could have been called into work today, as it isn't a federal holiday. 

Im jewish and yes thats  big holiday and i think they are excused absences not sure.

for the record  I’m not blaming state employees, it’s the lawmakers that dream up all this stuff. On one hand they tell us we need more gun laws blah blah blah and on the other hand the NICS is controlled by non-essential employees. NJ should do it like PA or let the NJ Police control; it since they are 24/7/365 otherwise what's the point is because the state could outsource like DMV. Think about this, you have to fill out the handgun permit and wait to so you could get a NICS check?  Is that  pointless or what, the state loves paperwork…

(EDITED)