Sign in to follow this  
blksheep

Zues gun shop in Pleasentville.

EDIT:

I went there today needed some target loads for my shotgun and I must say the place looks better, they have alot more long guns and the prices were pretty good. I almost bought a mossberg 22 rifle.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Do they still charge $100 transfer fee?

Ha ha I didn't ask but I was shocked by their prices and stock of long guns. Ammo I bought was about normal for 12 gauge Target loads.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

They have improved over the past few years. The guy I usually deal with looks a little like James Yeager - I don't remember his name. I have seen their prices become more reasonable and their selection get better. I have found a few nice deals on used rifles in the past few years.

Word of advice, they DO NOT like doing transfers on "black" guns. I had issues with them doing a transfer on a Colt HBAR Match Target and a Romanian SAR-1 (both were 100% NJ compliant) this was in late 2013.

The owner likes to err on the side of caution but the guys working the shop are great, the lady at the register is also nice to deal with.

It has a "mom and pop" feel.

Some of the guns are over priced and some of the ammo is, too, but they have a nice selection of stuff and again the guys that work the gun coounter are on the up and up plus they had a lot of hunting gear (last time I was in).

The transfer rate is $100 for a new gun and $50 for a used gun, they have the final word on if the gun looks to be "new" or "used" but that's how it's always been. These transfer rates are for guns purchased mail order or onloine, not from in-store.

Not for nothing, but why would a dealer charge more for a transfer of a NEW gun than 

for a USED gun, unless it were to discourage their customers from buying new guns

outside of their shop!

it cost the amount of time & paperwork to transfer new or used; that is just a downright

rip off  -jmo

Not for nothing, but why would a dealer charge more for a transfer of a NEW gun than 

for a USED gun, unless it were to discourage their customers from buying new guns

outside of their shop!

it cost the amount of time & paperwork to transfer new or used; that is just a downright

rip off  -jmo

JT I agree, I started out buying my first firearm (a shotgun, TriStar pump in 12ga) from them a few years ago...I got the burn and paid over $400 for a (under) $299 shotgun I could have picked up from Buds or another shop but I learned my lesson..

NEW or USED, the transfer rate should be the same.

They own the shop and set the prices, when people get smart and shop around the customer base they have will shrink.

JT I agree, I started out buying my first firearm (a shotgun, TriStar pump in 12ga) from them a few years ago...I got the burn and paid over $400 for a (under) $299 shotgun I could have picked up from Buds or another shop but I learned my lesson..

NEW or USED, the transfer rate should be the same.

They own the shop and set the prices, when people get smart and shop around the customer base they have will shrink.

I've heard of other shops that charge more to transfer a gun they can get than one they can't. The new vs used policy is probably along those lines.

So yeah, it's likely about "encouraging" customers to buy from them directly.

I've heard of other shops that charge more to transfer a gun they can get than one they can't. The new vs used policy is probably along those lines.

So yeah, it's likely about "encouraging" customers to buy from them directly.

It's funny, they never had a decent selection of firearms when I was going to Zues.

The rack had maybe 15-20 used guns and 20-30 new guns, most were TriStar pumps and one or two AR's.

If they had a decent selection it would make sense to charge $100 to transfer a new long gun since you can buy it in person from them on the rack, walk out the door or order online and pay shipping + wait for it to come it.

FYI, Zues has been around for years, my grandfather and father shopped at Zues and back in the 70's/80's they had TONS of new and used guns in stock, they had just about every major brand/product stocked.

I picked up my AR there a few weeks back. Armalite M15 Optics ready. Guys in the shop where great. Being a relative noob to the gun world, they took there time to answer all my questions, show me all about the gun. How to field strip it. Best of all, no hard sales push. I was pleasantly surprised.