fatty

Freedom Munitions - Reman .223 55gr

So I finally got a chance to take a look at the .223 i ordered from FM and notice that there's a slightly bulged lip where the case ends on the bullet end.  I haven't opened up all of the boxes but it looks like at least 200 rounds are like this. I'm wondering if this is safe to shoot or if this is normal?

I put some of the reman rounds next to some LC 5.56 I have and the LC rounds are rounded out where the casing meets the bullet (feels stream-lined to the touch), which is exactly the opposite of what the reman stuff looks like...  The lip protrudes enough that if I run my finger nail down toward the bullet, it catches, which makes me wonder if this is even safe to chamber in my AR.

Can anyone chime in?  I don't want to call up the company if this isn't something to worry about.

Sorry I don't have any pictures at the moment... my cell camera sucks up close.

The round on the left is from FM (reman 55gr) and the right is from Lake City 5.56 (they aren't sitting on a level surface):

Screenshot_2014-04-19-13-51-25_zpspsipro

Notice the lip on the FM round?  I've never seen this before... I almost got the impression that the case was being resized?  I have no clue.

I left my digital calipers at work so I don't have any measurements

That looks like their trimmer was dull as a brick and it just sort of burnished the neck to the right length. IMO that will grab the neck with extra force which could spike pressure. It could also be yanked off by the cannelure when fired and get jammed in the throat. Do that a few times and it could be bad juju.

I'm seeing increasing incidents of stuff that isn't right from them.

I'm going to check mine, see if anything's up and post pics shortly. I'm not as knowledgeable as you guys, but that doesn't look bad to me. BUT, as I said, I'm not knowledgeable  should I be worried if I see anything like that? Should I contact freedom munitions?

Even though there have been multiple reports of over press sure loads from them lately that pop primers and flatten head stamps?

I don't know about the internet buzz! But if the case length is good and they chamber OK, a little burr around the case mouth won't hurt.

I'd give him $.10 a round and shoot them if they are factory remanufactured.

Actually i measured them and they seemed good, but if youre worried about it, ill buy them lol

If this company is having QC problems and their loadings may be bad, that's one thing, but if the cases are dimensionally correct and you're not afraid of their loadings...hell I'd shoot them and if I saw problems I'd stop and trash or return them.

im guessing they're fine.  i was more concerned because the rounds would be going thru a brand new upper.  i've gone thru many different brands of .223 and never saw this kind of lip before so it got me a bit worried.

once I get my calipers back tomorrow, i can make sure the case lengths are within spec between 1.74-1.76