Tallday

Just picked up my first 1903A3 need help please...

So I have been looking for one for a wile just to use in matches and for fun not a collector at all. I sold my AR yesterday went on the hunt but gave up and decided I was going to use the money to get me started in reloading. I go to cabelas today  to buy reloading gear and and I see this for 599.00 and have no idea other then its an 1903A3 and it has a few markings on it that I have tried to capture with my cell. Can anyone tell me more about it?

post-2415-0-97124800-1397942206_thumb.jpg

post-2415-0-04844100-1397942217_thumb.jpg

post-2415-0-22222900-1397942236_thumb.jpg

post-2415-0-21580600-1397942246_thumb.jpg

post-2415-0-53742100-1397942255_thumb.jpg

post-2415-0-97917700-1397942267_thumb.jpg

post-2415-0-30967300-1397942284_thumb.jpg

post-2415-0-19880600-1397942296_thumb.jpg

post-2415-0-12527600-1397942309_thumb.jpg

post-2415-0-11519400-1397942325_thumb.jpg

post-2415-0-98832700-1397942340_thumb.jpg

post-2415-0-72697800-1397942352_thumb.jpg

post-2415-0-58932100-1397942362_thumb.jpg

Try to get a hold of USNMars. He's the milsurp guru. I remember reading that some early versions have a part that makes them too brittle to shoot. Make sure you look into that before you fire it!

Try to get a hold of USNMars. He's the milsurp guru. I remember reading that some early versions have a part that makes them too brittle to shoot. Make sure you look into that before you fire it!

WOW!! that would suck.... not what I want to hear.. Hope I can find more info on this,..

WOW!! that would suck.... not what I want to hear.. Hope I can find more info on this,..

Not true of 1903-A3 rifles. They are all safe. Looks like a pretty decent Ogden Arsenal rebuild. Stock was definitely sanded. Replacement bolt and bolt sleeve. I don't know anything about slings, but if it is real it is probably worth something. Clean and lube it well, it needs it. Nice grab though.

If you don't want it, I'll take it. Lol

Not true of 1903-A3 rifles. They are all safe. Looks like a pretty decent Ogden Arsenal rebuild. Replacement bolt and bolt sleeve. I don't know anything about slings, but if it is real it is probably worth something. Clean and lube it well, it needs it. Nice grab though.

Thanks "Ogend Arsonal" would be the O.G stamped in the stock? Also should this have a hood over the sight?

Got rid of my 2 1903's awesome rifles, it was just too boring for me. But I will probably get some in the future.

That serial number is good to go. It was only under 800,000 or something under that serial number for Springfield and rock island(I think their serial number was lower). I cant remember the exact fact.

That one you got looks pretty damn good, still has cosmo on it too. Lots of cartouche'$$$

Thanks "Ogend Arsonal" would be the O.G stamped in the stock? Also should this have a hood over the sight?

Yes, it would be the O.G.. As for the sight hood, I'm not sure, but you can pick up an "R" marked one for about $15. They just go right over the existing base.

Also, I noticed that your trigger guard is parked. It should be blued, so that is probably a replacement. The FJA in a box is an original Remington cartouche.

Nice rifle. Good luck with it.

Thanks! after this weekend I will clean up an oil/geese all metal and might just use wood conditioner on the stock feels a bit dry. BTW would it be safe to use crud cutter on the metal finish? never seen the green looking bluing like on this?

Nice gun.   A sight hood isn't nessecary because all but the USMC ones were just to protect the front sight.  The stock may need a coat of boiled linseed oil on it.  A coat a day for a week, a coat a week for a month, a coat a month for a year, and a coat every year for the rest of the time you have the gun.   And dude, that is one ugly rug......... :)

Did they have many more like this at Cabelas?

no wish they did. The sales girl said she got in in on Thursday and would keep finding it moved around on to different racks. As if people were trying to hide it or something. She was surprised it lasted the 2 days on the floor.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Nice gun. A sight hood isn't nessecary because all but the USMC ones were just to protect the front sight. The stock may need a coat of boiled linseed oil on it. A coat a day for a week, a coat a week for a month, a coat a month for a year, and a coat every year for the rest of the time you have the gun. And dude, that is one ugly rug......... :)

thanks for the stock advice and agree about the rug but my wife rules that department and I just leave it alone for my sanity. ..

The price you payed is good...

It would be nice to know the muzzle reading

All in all looks clean etc.....

In sure she will be a fine shooter...

would putting a round in the muzzle help with better guessing?

I know that the bullet test is a very touchey and subjective thing, but if you are using M2 ball, I would bet money that your muzzle gauges somewhere between 0 and 1.

it is my ball 1978 hpx 0 to 1 would mean? Well used or not to used.?

I concur...it is touchy...lol...but that wear looks good...

Essentially when a bullet leaves the muzzle the hot gases erode the exit hole....after so many rounds the hole widens...ie opens up and less bullet stabilization occurs. This en result in less accuracy..so as state the tighter the muzzle to original bullet diameter the better...or so thought....accuracy.

That being said I have a garand that gauges almost a two plus and she shoots fine...for minute of man accuracy ...

To further expand upon the muzzle, that is why we protect the crown as much as we can...if the crowds damaged, the gases do not vent evenly and can have the action of pushin the bullet off center upon exit etc....that is also why a worn crown canbe recut and can give a modicum of accuracy back..

You did good !

I love the 03-a3....fine rifles...

Thanks for the lesson..  I am so happy with this and the reloading gear I was going to get instead will always be around so glad i took the chance on this one.. its worked out well.

post-2415-13981042714_thumb.jpgpost-2415-139810428588_thumb.jpgpost-2415-139810431053_thumb.jpg so I got her taken apart and all the metal cleaned. and the only thing I see that worries me is this crack in the stock. Anyone know what I should do or it it fine to leave alone. Thanks