SgtToadette

So what's the deal with the WMLX?

Suffice it to say, a 500 lumen WML makes me uncomfortably giddy. I want one, like really badly, but the interwebs seems to be skimpy on the deets. There's been some pictures floating around and mentions here or there, but nothing really substantive. I've seen it get a passing mention in several threads here, so I figured I'd make a dedicated topic.

If you know anything about this light, please...

XlUY39y.gif

I just got off the phone with Impact Weapons Components... and they are available I am pretty sure he said they were out of stock and more were coming in... website says they are in stock.. so you might want to check...

http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/inforce-wmlx/

he got like 5 in a week or so ago or something.. but they were gone immediately.. I am guessing that means people that knew they would be available.. If you want one you might want to order it because he will likely sell through them again.. 

Time to sell both my WML's and upgrade!!   :D

Edited to add: sell both of my Inforce WML to upgrade to WMLX.  I really like the Inforce models, including the HSP version, and am looking forward to the WMLX.   It's funny to me how 60 Lumen's used to be offered on defensive/weapon mounted lights, and know we are at 500+.  How far we have come.

Edited to add: sell both of my Inforce WML to upgrade to WMLX. I really like the Inforce models, including the HSP version, and am looking forward to the WMLX. It's funny to me how 60 Lumen's used to be offered on defensive/weapon mounted lights, and know we are at 500+. How far we have come.

500 is mediocre I'd say. Surefire and Inforce seem to be lagging behind in the output department.

Not saying that output is the sole measurement by which a light should be judged. Just making an observation.

I'm making an observation of the industry not the effectiveness of the particular output for a specific application. 500 lumens is damn bright and can get the job done. Hell 300 lumens is bright and works well. But in terms of what is possible with two 123 batteries at this point in time, 500 lumens is mediocre. Look at the competition:

FourSevens Maelstrom MMX: 900 lumens (granted in burst mode).

Fenix TK22: 680 lumens

Olight M21-X-L2: 750 lumens

Elzetta B333: 650 lumens

Now there's plenty of reasons to still choose Surefire and Inforce because as I said before, output shouldn't be the only factor to consider when buying a light.

Lumens is still only part of the equation though. Is it actually necessary to have that kind of output? It comes at the cost less battery life and generally more heat. If you're able to put the proper spread on 500lumens, it could be more effective than a solid 900 lumen beam. I hear this all the time about lights. Lumens are only one side of the light's story, and seem to have been proven stronger for marketing purposes. Lumens are the measurement of intensity. As far as weapon/defense lights go, anything more than 200 lumens is blinding at -20ft. This includes bouncing off nearby walls, windows, pictures, and mirrors also blinding the person using the light. That's one of the reasons why MFT/Princeton Tech came out with their new 10/20 lumen lights.

All the brands I named are solid companies with quality product lines. It's not fair to knock the intensity arbitrarily.

I get the point you're making, but you're not actually responding to what I said. I admitted twice now that lumen measurements are only part of the equation.

Well.... it really wasn't the case as far as bounceback and blinding yourself etc etc in the case of Surefire products, at least from my experience. I attended a Mil/LE only Surefire Low Light/No light Demo about 3 weeks ago. We did in vehicle, out of vehicle, facing people etc etc and overwhelming light did not seem to be an issue at all even with 1000 lumen lights. The stated reason for this was how much research SF puts into the lenses in their products to give a useful dispersion pattern. One of the things I did was shooting through auto glass with a wml. It was so dark out you couldn't see your hand in front of your face. Even after the glass spidered, I did not get blinding bounceback from the wml and easily could see the target and put all 5 rounds on center mass. In fact in dealing with certain autoglass tints at 500 lumens, aiming at the target from inside to outside it wasn't until I popped it on to 1000 that I could really see the target well. Now for some fun stuff. Here is a short clip of me shooting said vehicle with an M240Saw with a Hellfighter WML and Surefire Suppressor.

Well.... it really wasn't the case as far as bounceback and blinding yourself etc etc in the case of Surefire products, at least from my experience. I attended a Mil/LE only Surefire Low Light/No light Demo about 3 weeks ago. We did in vehicle, out of vehicle, facing people etc etc and overwhelming light did not seem to be an issue at all even with 1000 lumen lights. The stated reason for this was how much research SF puts into the lenses in their products to give a useful dispersion pattern. One of the things I did was shooting through auto glass with a wml. It was so dark out you couldn't see your hand in front of your face. Even after the glass spidered, I did not get blinding bounceback from the wml and easily could see the target and put all 5 rounds on center mass. In fact in dealing with certain autoglass tints at 500 lumens, aiming at the target from inside to outside it wasn't until I popped it on to 1000 that I could really see the target well. Now for some fun stuff. Here is a short clip of me shooting said vehicle with an M240Saw with a Hellfighter WML and Surefire Suppressor.

nice, video is private, really liked the end... lol

All the brands I named are solid companies with quality product lines. It's not fair to knock the intensity arbitrarily.

I get the point you're making, but you're not actually responding to what I said. I admitted twice now that lumen measurements are only part of the equation.

I think that I am responding to what you're asking. Why not create a higher intensity light capable of running 2-cr123's? The answer is: because it's unnecessary. I also think it's important to note that the WML lights are purpose built specifically to be on a rifle, while those other lights (except Surefire) are not. The difference in price between the Olight and Fenix are very similar to each other and slightly cheaper than the WML, while the difference in WML vs. Surefire is substantial.

I personally use Fenix on a daily basis and have been for a huge fan since the the TK15. I currently use a TK21u for most applications. The TK21u was supposed to have a substantial difference in output, but when I used them side by side, I almost thought that the TK21u was LESS bright. A mixture of color temperature in the new batch of LED's, different lens and beam flood, and possibly just my love for the TK15 could have been the reason. Regardless, I saw no discernible difference between the 330 lumen(early model) module against the 468 lumen module.

Lumens is still only part of the equation though. Is it actually necessary to have that kind of output? It comes at the cost less battery life and generally more heat. If you're able to put the proper spread on 500lumens, it could be more effective than a solid 900 lumen beam. I hear this all the time about lights. Lumens are only one side of the light's story, and seem to have been proven stronger for marketing purposes. Lumens are the measurement of intensity. As far as weapon/defense lights go, anything more than 200 lumens is blinding at -20ft. This includes bouncing off nearby walls, windows, pictures, and mirrors also blinding the person using the light. That's one of the reasons why MFT/Princeton Tech came out with their new 10/20 lumen lights.

Blinding? Really? I have had plenty of bright flashlights pointed in my eyes and I don't need a cane or a dog....

I have also pointed bright flashlights into plenty of other peoples eyes, they also didn't need a cane or a dog...

200 Lumens is my bare minimum on a social gun.

I use an X300U (500L) on my social pistols and a P3X Fury (1000L) on my work rifle with no issues with bounce back or reflection issues while FISHing on quite a few houses.

You are right though, lumens are only part of the equation: beam shape, throw, spill, switchology, runtime, are also all considered heavily when choosing a light.

I like the X300U for pistols, but on a rifle, not so much. I would prefer a P2X Fury, even though the lumen rating is the same at 500.

Multifunction lights have no place on a gun. If you need a dimmer light, use your admin light - you don't want to be fiddlefucking with your switch at the wrong moment.

ETA: In my opinion strobes should also be a no-go on a social gun. Not only is it disorienting to you as well as the target, but the strobe can make it very difficult to see movement, especially slow deliberate movement of the hands. I also wouldn't want to in the witness stand testifying to how I was able to visually identify a threat while using a device designed to disturb the vision of those around it.

I looked at Fenix as I was interested in the strobe features but I was warned off for durability issues. On top of that there was a deal breaker somewhere in there but I cant remember what it was. I think it was something to do with the switching on the unit.

A long long time ago they had switch cap issues. That has been fixed. As for durability... short of shooting it, I'm not sure I could beat them up any harder. I've broken the lens on one of them but that was more my fault than the light.