Wojo

Static When Reloading

Plastic components and static just go together. But today I had a new situation.

I use a RCBS Charge Master and was reloading some 9mm for plinking with a 4.0 gr load. After a batch of 50, I went to take a morning dump and came back and noticed my powder tray had the load up to 4.4. I'm thinking WTF. Throw a few sample loads and all come in at 4.0.

Then I sit and watch...the static was actually drawing the powder out of the trickle tube and into the tray.

An old habit I started was lining my powder hopper with Dryer Sheets to prevent powder from sticking to the walls. And makes it much cleaner and easier when done to dump the remaining powder back into the original container without all that cling. But I have never seen static actually pull powder out of the tube.

So, I sprayed my powder tray with Laundry Anti-Static Spray and wiped it out and dried it real good and that seems to have resolved it for now.

Anyone aware of a clean, non-residue anti-static spray for reloading?

That's pretty interesting Scott.  I use the same powder drop but haven't noticed excessive static in the pan.  I use a metal powder pan.  Are you using a plastic powder pan?

I'll make a mental note for myself "Do not drop a deuce while measuring powder" :laugh:

I am using that thin aluminum pan. I have noticed in the past that powder dropped out of the tube on occasion when I pulled the pan to dump it into a case onto that black plastic disk. Now I realize static was pulling the some powder out not me bumping the unit or grains making an escape.

I sprayed both the aluminum powder pan, the black scale pan and wiped the entire area with a cotton cloth with the spray on it.

I'm not a shit-house reader either...I squat, drop and roll. I'm a very efficient man who does just about any task with a sense of urgency. FWIW - I reload out in my shed / shop that has not had any heat going since we finally have been above freezing. The humidity is general in the 60-70% range. My cigar humidors do much better out there then in the house.

Let me get this straight. yer powder tray is gets an extra load and yer dumpin a load in the bathroom? They sorta balance each other out don't they?

I mean if ya get a foul load on the range it stinks right? And if ya get a foul load in the bathroom that can really stink!

I sure do hope you keep yer foul loads to a minimum!

Wwwaaaayyy to much personal information goin on in dis thread.

About as much as running your d¡¢k all over the press would

Wtf? Seriously? I don't reload, so was just asking.

Sent from my iPad 2 using T2 Pro

A-TEch...Had a Lee Auto Disk...sucks compared to a Charge Master. The Lee Precision Drop I own several that are set for my match loads and then put aside...for the price, it wasn't worth the time trying to get to that level of precision. But neither can compare to the Charge Master. As far as running your dick across it...well if you have a piercing like I do, you can get static to jump to that surgical steel. New meaning to Lightening Rod. You can ask my wife about winter static.

bhunted...you really can't ground an almost all plastic unit. I thought about it.

NJ Pile-It...I actually have them on two separate benches that do not touch set-up in an L configuration. I use a 4 stage press for my plinking pistol rounds and by the time I make the cycle, the powder is measured. The timing between the two really couldn't be better timed. Even when I am running 308/30-06 for my semi-auto's, after I full size, send them for a spin on my electric trimmer to size and put back in the press, the powder is ready to go. Really like this Charge Master.

PK90...We are working on it.

Bagarocks...Sorry but I don't speak yer and ya.

Unfortunately at this time, my single stage is on the same bench as the Charge Master. But as you said Scott, it is usually perfect timing from my putting the pan back, in auto mode, to seating the next round, then waiting a couple of seconds for the powder weight to hit its mark and beep.

Do love the Charge Master as well.

Need an ion gun, or humidity to break the bonds.  Google antistatic gun or ion nozzle.  You need to create an insulating layer between the powder and plastic.  Dryer sheets usually work, sometimes I spray the plastic parts with the same dry lube spray cleaner I use for the press.  A simple way would be to take a spray bottle with water and spray the air surrounding the press a few minutes before beginning.  I have put a pot of boiling water on the floor of the garage about an hour before I started reloading and no problems. 

OK, because I was thinking like a static strap like we use to work on electronics and such...

A-TEch...Had a Lee Auto Disk...sucks compared to a Charge Master. The Lee Precision Drop I own several that are set for my match loads and then put aside...for the price, it wasn't worth the time trying to get to that level of precision. But neither can compare to the Charge Master. As far as running your dick across it...well if you have a piercing like I do, you can get static to jump to that surgical steel. New meaning to Lightening Rod. You can ask my wife about winter static.

bhunted...you really can't ground an almost all plastic unit. I thought about it.

NJ Pile-It...I actually have them on two separate benches that do not touch set-up in an L configuration. I use a 4 stage press for my plinking pistol rounds and by the time I make the cycle, the powder is measured. The timing between the two really couldn't be better timed. Even when I am running 308/30-06 for my semi-auto's, after I full size, send them for a spin on my electric trimmer to size and put back in the press, the powder is ready to go. Really like this Charge Master.

PK90...We are working on it.

Bagarocks...Sorry but I don't speak yer and ya.

A-TEch...Had a Lee Auto Disk...sucks compared to a Charge Master. The Lee Precision Drop I own several that are set for my match loads and then put aside...for the price, it wasn't worth the time trying to get to that level of precision. But neither can compare to the Charge Master.
I have had zero issues with my charges in the auto disk. It must be a difference in the powders we use. I know some powders don't play nice with it, however I do get consistent loads with the powders I do use.

As far as running your dick across it...well if you have a piercing like I do, you can get static to jump to that surgical steel. New meaning to Lightening Rod. You can ask my wife about winter static.
Dude....just....I don't even know lol

T-Bill - Thanks for getting the thinker going. I think I will try to lay a dryer sheet along the entire base and make the necessary cut-outs for the scale plunger and whatnot and see how that works. Too many tools and other water sensitive items to mist the area.

Thinking back..my father and a buddy had a part time Auto Body Shop back in the 70's. In the paint booth, they used to wet down the floor to prevent dust from kicking up and I remember him telling me that static from the car would draw dust particles to the paint. They used to ground the cars and actually on some jobs positively charge the spray gun (DC) to get a better adhesion. (Which I do when I DuraCoat metal items).

I remember Alec having a problem with primers going-off in a loading tube.  He posted pix of his blown-to-crap press.  Not sure if it was a static discharge that caused it.  He reloads LOTS of ammo and may be of help on this thread.

I also remember reading something about a guy who put one of those static-free mats (for a computer station) down to sit/stand on when he uses his press.  And another guy who grounded his press to a basement water pipe.  Lots of stuff to think about.  I do like the dryer sheet trick.

Dave