Bully

Building a 10/22 Bench Gun-- Where to Start?

I have come into a 10/22. 

I am looking to build a bench rest style gun to try and shoot little, tiny groups.  I won't be super serious, however I am looking to do the best that I can.  This rifle will only see the range and will ride a front bag most of it's life.  Not a lot of off hand shooting.  That being said, I prefer more "classic" looking stocks and would like to stay away from the Barracuda/Raptor/T-Rex styles that currently dominate.  They simply are not my cup of tea.

As far as I see it, here are my options:

1. http://www.1022racerifle.com/category/stocks/ruger-1022-lr-stocks/wood-stocks/trail-blazer-bone-gray-1022-lr-920_trailblazer-gray.php

2. http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product.htm?pid=8893&cat=1215

3. Cut up an inexpensive birch stock and make my own.

Barrel, glass, and such are totally up in the air at this time. I'm going one piece at a time on this gun.

Any input?

Christopher

The Boyd's Tacticool is a pretty nice stock for the money. McMillan has some really nice stocks as well but, completely different price range. In between price wise, Bell and Carlson makes some nice ones as well. I had the Target/Varmint model on my Kidd Supergrade and it rode the bags real nice.

When it comes time for the barrel, trigger, etc. Take a good look at KIDD's offerings. About the same price as Volquartsen but, in my opinion (and many many others on RFC), superior quality. The trigger is really incredible.

http://www.coolguyguns.com/

Hi Chris,

I would really look into Kidd 10/22 parts . I think they are the best parts out there if you like to make it into a true tack driver. Just remember with a match barrel , you might have failure to cycle issues with cheap ammo due to the tight tolerances with the chamber. Additionally , a true competition benchgun is best to be a bolt action due to the short lock time.

Do you have a budget?

Of course I do. However it will be the "Psychobillycadillac" approach to assembling this gun. I'm only willing to go so far. Also, it MUST be able to cycle inexpensive ammo. That's something it HAS to do.

C

Of course I do. However it will be the "Psychobillycadillac" approach to assembling this gun. I'm only willing to go so far. Also, it MUST be able to cycle inexpensive ammo. That's something it HAS to do.

C

This will effect your groups more than any upgrades you make to the rifle.

I completely understand that.

I will look into some match ammo for fun but the gun has to be able to plink as well.

C

Shouldn't be a problem. I had mine set up for match ammo, Wolf Match Target and Lapua Center X, they run at about 1050 fps. My gun had no trouble with the Federal bulk running at 1250 fps, POI was a bit higher though. It cycled just fine.

Back in the late 90's built a bench 10/22 with a full Fajen stock, 24" .920 match bull barrel, Harris bipod and internals done by Connecticut Precision Chamberings.  www.ct-precision.com . Still running great.  Will try to get a pic up. You may want to consider the threaded barrel option on the build.  Mine will feed Federal 525 packs, but does choke on the really low end 22LRs.  I do however have supply of PMC Match Rifle Target 22LR that works great but not made anymore.

98578338-c11c-49b1-9feb-66ffaed82d8b_zps

7e4444c0-9f1f-4d6b-ae9e-738f7e7dcc03_zps

As promised. Had to check. Seems I did the bulk of the changes in 1994-1995. A few since then.

I remember CPC doing the trigger and bolt groups by mailing it to them and they returning it by mail for less than $80. Did the Mini14/30 trigger groups also. I did the barrel fitting with a new style V block and Accuglass bedding. Threaded barrels were offered later. All of this was done before Ruger decided to market a 10/22 with a rifle stock/bull barrel setup.

Fajen stock

Gun Parts Corp .920 Match bull barrel with recessed 11 degree target crown (purchased in 1994).

Bolt and Trigger group done by CPC. Under 2lb let off single stage. Bolt has same mods offered today.

KIDD bolt buffer and Magazine release.

Harris Bipod

Weaver Mount

Sightmark 3-9 x42 illuminated reticle. (cause I have an "in").

Topher my bsa sweet 22 scope came yesterday and my boyds blaster will be here tomorrow so you can check them out

this signature exceeds the 15 character count capacity

I'd love to take a look. Thanks.

C

You're going to need one hell of a cheek rest to get your eye aligned with the scope.

Stock should be here tomorrow. Stay tuned for the flying purple people eater build Posted Image

Sorry for the hijack topher

this signature exceeds the 15 character count capacity

Quick update:

I wound up going with a Fajen stock.  Picked it up off a forum member the other day.  Looks similar to the "Flying Purple People Eater" stock that is posted above except it's not purple.  I moved the VQ trigger from my first 10/22 onto this gun.  I just got a 20" heavy fluted barrel on an auction site for 85, shipped to my door.  It should work just fine.  Needs to be cleaned up and spray bombed black. 

Now...  glass.  Always a challenge.  Stay tuned!

C