Kaiser7

AK or SKS, which would you choose?

So just on a hypothetical. Initially I wanted a mini-30, but the general consensus seems to be that this is a dumb choice. So of the 7.62x39mm rifles, which is better?

Off the top of my head, AK and SKS variants come to mind, but I don't know much about them. Are there other rifles in that caliber that are worth taking a look at (And won't break the bank?)

So I want to know this, what other rifles are in that caliber, but also, which is the superior option? AK or SKS?

Other options are an ar in that caliber but mags arent too reliable. Also you can get a ptr-91 in that caliber. I have one in 308 and love it.

I have never been one for making a choice but if I could only have one it would be an ak. Detachable mags, furniture options, rails and optics. More customizeable. Sks pretty much stay stock in NJ

Other options are an ar in that caliber but mags arent too reliable. Also you can get a ptr-91 in that caliber. I have one in 308 and love it.

I have never been one for making a choice but if I could only have one it would be an ak. Detachable mags, furniture options, rails and optics. More customizeable. Sks pretty much stay stock in NJ

Not sure if 7.62x39 PTR-91s are cheaper, but I think the .308 are well over $1,000. For that price I would just go for a Socom 16 I think, even if it's not 7.62x39.

Now, if they are price-comparable, I'd definitely go with one of those.

I chose both.  They are both awesome.

SKS

Pros:
Don't need mags
Stripper clips are faster than mag changes
Less likely to become illegal
Slightly more accurate due to short stroke gas system
More historically significant
Some are heavier than AKs, I'm pretty sure the yugo's are.  Therfore even less recoil.
Fixed magazine:  allows you to have otherwise evil features.

Cons:
10 round magazine (although since we are in a commi state, thats really not a huge drawback if you don't go out of state since the best you can do is only 15 and maybe only 10 in the near future anyways)
Less customizable
Less ergonomic some would say
Heavier, sometimes. (also a pro, depending)
Fixed magazine. (also a pro, depending)

I know that you can find a bolt action from CZ might be interesting... You can also find an AR that shoots 7.62x39

I already have an AR. Because I built it, I can't part with it, but i'm not totally in love with them. 

I like SKSes better, just because I like "classic" rifles, but is it really more historically significant? I feel as though the AK has been far more prominent in world history.

At the same time, I definitely prefer interchangable mags to loading via strippers, which is why i might lean towards an AK-style. I know nothing about which AKs are good, and which to avoid, as well as which SKSes are good, and which to avoid.

...I like SKSes better, just because I like "classic" rifles, but is it really more historically significant? I feel as though the AK has been far more prominent in world history....

Hm, what I meant is they have more historical value.

No AK you buy will be on an original receiver.  Many are US receivers.  WASRS and such are built on special receivers for US export.  None can be original due to ATF machine gun rules. 

The SKS rifles are straight from the arsenal/depot/wherever and are original, as issued.  Original receivers, etc.  So instead of "Well the saiga was made in the same factory as the originals are/were made..." or "Its Bulgarian parts assembled here in the US on a US receiver with US wood" its more like "This is the rifle as it came from the military.  This IS the original"

I would get both.. just keep an eye for deals. If you see one jump on it. Get whatever deal comes first. If you are at all like me when you what something you need to have it at some point. Or you will always have the need to get it.. If you know what I mean. I still think sky can be had for less money and is more bang for the buck. Ak type are all over priced since Newton. And seems like a deal now a days would be in the 600.00 price point if you're lucky. But expect to pay a lot more. Good lucky

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Ak all day. Then SKS the next day.

Buy both. You'll thank the ones that suggest this after you..buy them both!

No way on a college budget I could afford both. I'd like to have both SOME day, but with the way my financial situation is, that's not realistic lol.

I only have money because I've sold off a lot of the stuff I have (that I'm willing to part with) to get spending money.I'd like an AK, but I can't justify spending $600 on one, that seems crazy they're that expensive. I mean, these are probably the cheapest rifles ever made (in large quantities). I'm shocked they retail for so much.

But is that "new" price, or "used" price? I almost never buy anything new from a LGS.

both! lol

I just got my ak yesterday. ill get an sks down the road.

sks and aks have all gone up. a used sks is hard to find for under 300 in decent shape, unless you want a cracked stock Chinese one..then maybe 250 at a show.  you can get a bare bones wasr ak for about 500 and change if thats what you want.

Wait, if AKs are $600, $500 for a bare-bones WASR, why did everyone say a mini-30 was a bad choice? I could probably get a used mini-30 for the same price as an AK then. I was under the impression that they were far cheaper.

with an ak and sks you can run steel cased ammo that is a lot cheaper then brass.  I would never run steel cased down an ar or a mini 30.  the cost to run an ak is much less.  my ak was about 150 less then my dads stag ar15, but he spends double for brass 5.56 and .223 then i do in steel cased tula and redarmy standard 7.62x39. the cost of brass 7/62x39 is about the same as the ar ammo. I think about 9-12 a box of 20 where i just got 8 boxes of tula 7.62 steel cased for 5.40 a box. wolf steel core magnetic ammo ( cant use at indoor ranges) is like 20 bucks per 100 rounds. 

i really wanted the Ruger too before I figured the cost of ownership with ever increasing ammo prices was just not worth it to me.

with an ak and sks you can run steel cased ammo that is a lot cheaper then brass.  I would never run steel cased down an ar or a mini 30.  the cost to run an ak is much less.  my ak was about 150 less then my dads stag ar15, but he spends double for brass 5.56 and .223 then i do in steel cased tula and redarmy standard 7.62x39. the cost of brass 7/62x39 is about the same as the ar ammo. I think about 9-12 a box of 20 where i just got 8 boxes of tula 7.62 steel cased for 5.40 a box. wolf steel core magnetic ammo ( cant use at indoor ranges) is like 20 bucks per 100 rounds. 

i really wanted the Ruger too before I figured the cost of ownership with ever increasing ammo prices was just not worth it to me.

I don't think the steel-cased ammo is really an issue though. My friend's owned one for years, and told me he never ran anything but wolf and tula out of it. My only strike against it was the magazine availability, but given how close the prices are between AKs and the Mini, I'll take the more accurate mini.

The mini 14 and mini 30 are nice, But the deal breaker for me were the magazines. Expensive, and hard to get 15 round magazines. With the AK you have a large selection of parts, accessories and magazine choices. I had a Mini 14 before, In the end I sold it and purchased an AR. When I wanted something in 7.62x39 I went with an AK. Glad I did.

The mini 14 and mini 30 are nice, But the deal breaker for me were the magazines. Expensive, and hard to get 15 round magazines. With the AK you have a large selection of parts, accessories and magazine choices. I had a Mini 14 before, In the end I sold it and purchased an AR. When I wanted something in 7.62x39 I went with an AK. Glad I did.

How accurate do you need it to be?

At 100 yds my AK variant is quite consistent with crap steel case ammo.

Maybe I have a weird view on it, but greater accuracy is always better for me.

I hadn't priced any AKs out, so I thought they were maybe $400 or so for a decent one. I've heard WASRs are kind of crappy. But for me the main draw towards the AK in this caliber would be a greatly lower cost than a mini-30, but detachable mags unlike NJ-legal SKSes.

The mag thing does suck, but so far that seems to be the only drawback. I'm really just surprised how expensive AKs are, I mean, they're generally known as a cheap rifle.

They are still "cheap" compared to other rifles. Everything firearms relayed have gone up. The mini 30 is around 700 now and from what I remember has no pistol grip, no muzzle device, and mags $$$.

You can get an unconverted saiga 7.62 for around 500 give or take. Then when you get some extra cash you can do a conversion to a full AK style for around 200 or so.

They are still "cheap" compared to other rifles. Everything firearms relayed have gone up. The mini 30 is around 700 now and from what I remember has no pistol grip, no muzzle device, and mags $$$.

You can get an unconverted saiga 7.62 for around 500 give or take. Then when you get some extra cash you can do a conversion to a full AK style for around 200 or so.

Pistol grips are of no concern to me actually. I prefer traditional rifle grips. So far the only disadvantage is the magazine cost. I'm not looking to buy one new (Though, to be fair, I'm not looking to buy a new AK either, I generally think buying something new is a waste of money).

The Saiga is then about the same cost as the Mini. I just find it funny about a week ago I posted a WTB looking for a used mini-30, and everyone said to go with either an SKS or AK, and now there doesn't seem to be any real advantage (apart from SKS's cost).

I just find it funny about a week ago I posted a WTB looking for a used mini-30, and everyone said to go with either an SKS or AK, and now there doesn't seem to be any real advantage (apart from SKS's cost).

There is no advantge in your opinion because you excluded the AK based on your personal preference to the Mini (Accuracy) and now the pistol grip is a disadvantage because of personal preference to classic stocks.

At the end you re the guy buying the gun so you will choose what s best for you.

Look at it this way............a battle rifle will be used within 200-250yds. I can assure you that you can hit this distance with the AK.

Beyond that the 7.62x39 doesnt need to do much in the field. So even if the Mini-30 can hit a plate at 400yds and the AK wont this is not the intended use of this type of weapon and round. If you want to reach out and touch someone get a bolt action.

When looking at the price comparison a 150-200-300$ difference dosnt mean anything because within the lifetime of usage of the gun you ll buy if you keep it you ll spend many times over the price of the gun for ammo/gas/tolls/club membership.

Yes i understand 300$ means a lot when you re a student and you probably have a mental budget in mind for this purchase but you re going into a new caliber with a new rifle. Ultimately that will cost money.