Kaiser7

Need advice on a problem with my Lyman Tumbler

I'm not sure how to handle this, it seems like the Threaded screw-like thing that is used to put the lid on the bowl is cross threaded. I totally destroyed one of the rubber-screws that is used to hold the bottom of the bowl in place recently because of where it seems the thing is cross-threaded. I'm worried I'm going to destroy the new one now. While only a $1 part, I really don't know what to do about it, or if this will essentially junk my Tumbler.

Can that piece be replaced, or do you have any advice on replacing the screw? What should I do?

Chase the threaded stem with a Die and clean it up --

Where are you?  If you don't have a tap and die set and are close to me I'll do it for you -- -- I'm in Middlesex Borough --- zip is 08846

I would bet you can replace the stem too -- probably have to take the machine apart a little...

Jer 

Is it just cross threaded near the top? If so, just get a thread file and clean up the threads....I'm the kind of guy that doesn't officially own something until I void the warranty so, naturally I took my tumbler apart to see what the motor setup was. If you did that you'd be able to replace that threaded rod also.

I actually managed to do it via a very delecate, and careful brute force approach, with surgical precision of course.

Pretty much to avoid tearing up the rubber on the rubber screw (Top-hat looking screw) I just held it with a pair of pliers, and rotated the entire unit until it was past the area. But the area itself is about half-way down the screw-thing

This screw-thingy, in this linked picture. I have no clue what it's called, as I bought my tumbler for $20 off craigslist (Guy's daughter tried tumbling rocks in it... I'm into lapidary stuff, totally the wrong tool).

http://www.pensacolareloaders.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/tumbler.jpg

Anyway, I got the screw on, but I want to think about how to avoid this problem in the future. Also, does anyone in Camden County/Gloucester County area know where to get walnut media? I recently cleaned mine because I can't find any locally.

Also, does anyone in Camden County/Gloucester County area know where to get walnut media? I recently cleaned mine because I can't find any locally.

Any Petsmart will have it on the shelves --  Lizard litter or something like that  -- It's used to line the bottom of reptile cages

Any Petsmart will have it on the shelves --  Lizard litter or something like that  -- It's used to line the bottom of reptile cages

I've looked at a few, but only saw corncob. I might check another place maybe, or call a few places around here. 

I know some people like corncob, but i find it gets stuck inside .223 brass.

I know some people like corncob, but i find it gets stuck inside .223 brass.

I wonder if what you're using is small enough --  I never had and media actually get stuck inside of .223 brass -- flash holes --yes -- but not actual bridging inside of brass -- Been at it for 24 years

I switched to wet and stainless media over a year ago --  I'll never go back to dry tumbling

I wonder if what you're using is small enough --  I never had and media actually get stuck inside of .223 brass -- flash holes --yes -- but not actual bridging inside of brass -- Been at it for 24 years

I switched to wet and stainless media over a year ago --  I'll never go back to dry tumbling

stainless media? Wet media? What are those?

The cheapest most bleached crap rice in a bulk bag from sams club or costco. Not quite as cheap as corn cob bedding in the big bag from petco/petsmart, but comes right back out of .223 easily. If you deprime before tumbling, it can get stuck in some flash holes.  

The cheapest most bleached crap rice in a bulk bag from sams club or costco. Not quite as cheap as corn cob bedding in the big bag from petco/petsmart, but comes right back out of .223 easily. If you deprime before tumbling, it can get stuck in some flash holes.  

I saw some today but didn't buy it because it seemed rather fine. I wasn't sure if it was useable as tumbling media because it was so small.

Here's an old post but it explains the whole wet tumbler setup:

Some real grungy brass turned to Bling

Ah, I might be able to rig something like that up if poppop lets me use his rock-tumbler. But I doubt I'd be able to use that method in my Lyman Turbo 1600 (I think that's what I have)