ADK1113

Shore Shot experience

hey gents,

So on Easter I took my father down to Shore shot to purchase his first weapon. we went down to Shore shot, where I've never been before.
Here's what I took away from my visit and subsequent purchase:

• Great, clean friendly atmosphere
  • helpful, friendly staff
  • awesome selection of Handguns and long guns

We ended up Purchasing a Springfield XD-9 Subcompact for my dad ( He's got small hands, Asian problems)

The entire process was very professional, quick, and painless. Upon completion of the sale, The gentleman ( I wish I could remember his name, He's the big guy with the tattoos) handed me 2 range passes. It was a great transaction for everyone

Price including NICS was around 580 If I remember correctly. Though I could have bought it a bit cheaper in a place like Buds or Cabelas, I'll usually root for the LGS so I didn't mind spending a couple more bucks.

We picked up the weapon the following weekend (27 APR 2014) and cashed in those 2 range passes and ran about 200 or so rounds of mixed 115 124 and 147 ammo through the weapon at their indoor pistol range. Here's what I noticed about their range.

• plenty of space in the booths for manipulating weapons such as the Beretta CX4 storm rifle the lady next to me was using
  • Clean, safe environment. the range safeties brushed brass out from underfoot to prevent any possible falls.
  • the Range Safeties were clearly visible in their Bright yellow shirts and were very friendly and alert to any possible safety hazards.
  • I saw the safeties on multiple occasions walk over to new shooters who were either acting in an unsafe manner or were nervous about shooting and correct and or reassure them.
  • The one safety, I think his name was Ed, (hard to hear with the gun fire and all..) noticed my shooting style deduced I was military and allowed me to shoot from the draw after I asked permission
  • the range itself had a very simple, easy to use automated system to move targets at multiple different ranges.

Overall my Experience at Shore Shot was a supremely positive affair. I'd recommend it again to any of my fellow gun owners.

P.S. oh... and the Springfield was great too! :laugh:

My experience there has been hit or miss. Went in several times bc I was in the neighborhood and received good service one of about 5 times. I purchased several items including a long gun that one time, but good service 20% of the time isnt enough to make me continue patronizing them.

Im also not a tire kicker, if you have what I want and will spend 5 min showing me the item I will probably buy it even if I can get it cheaper on the internet.

This in part led me to our forum ffls who are not only less expensive but have much better service.

Some of the older staff, I'd definitely say that is expected. Back in the day, I was very happy going in there. Newer guys... they are the reason why I refuse to go back.

Bragging about selling someone, who is new to guns, useless stuff after he left isn't beneficial to the firearm community. Yelling at a buyer who checked the wrong box on paperwork because your coworker had to have a LOUD discussion across the shop to his friend, showing off a gun, pisses me off. But when someone tries to screw me on a Gallery of Guns sale by demanding the total cost of the firearm, not the balance, and will only do the right thing after I pull the email up on my iPhone, you lost someone that spends thousands of dollars each year on firearms as a customer. That was all in one day... but the attempt to get more money out of those sales did happen to family/friends on multiple occasions.

Brick Armory doesn't get my business, either. Buying $1,600 worth of pistols, then being jerked around for almost three months (being told they shipped/shipping tomorrow multiple times in that same span of time), I said the hell with anyone in Lakewood. For FFLs, I'll use Paul from NJ Arms, and will join Central Jersey in the next few months.

Sure Shot at one time was a great store. I stopped buying there a few years ago when it started going downhill. Being a member meant nothing there.  Thats when I didn't renew and stopped shopping there.  To much cop attitude with some of the staff. Some need a lesson on customer service when buyers are in the store.  Its a store not a police station.  Prices are not good.  Good selection, but much better prices elsewhere. I don't know if the owners son still works there, he complained too much. He just didn't want to be there. 

Sure Shot at one time was a great store. I stopped buying there a few years ago when it started going downhill. Being a member meant nothing there. That when I didn't renew and stopped shopping there. To much cop attitude with some of the staff. Some need a lesson on customer service when buyers are in the store. Its a store not a police station. Prices are not good. Good selection, but much better prices elsewhere. I don't know if the owners son still works there, he complained too much. He just didn't want to be there.

The owners son , Kyle, is still there. Typically outside smoking or texting. He doesn't seem too happy being there or providing good service, or any service for that matter.

i wouldnt buy anything from either range in Lakewood.  I shoot at BA (very poor experience at SS, will never step foot in there again) but that is all i will do there, shoot.  I use Steve (Monmouth Arms) for any transfers or purchases now.  Cheaper, great conversation, better service and have met a number of people from here at his place.  If i could afford CJ, I would join (maybe next year)..

i wouldnt buy anything from either range in Lakewood. I shoot at BA (very poor experience at SS, will never step foot in there again) but that is all i will do there, shoot. I use Steve (Monmouth Arms) for any transfers or purchases now. Cheaper, great conversation, better service and have met a number of people from here at his place. If i could afford CJ, I would join (maybe next year)..

I use Steve for transfers too, but have bought from shore shot in the past when they had what I wanted in stock at a regular price.

I haven't bought anything at brick armory because they have little to no stock ever.

And there new guns look used.

My last experience at Shore Shot was as usual, with one caveat.  The RO picked up a couple of my spent casings and asked me in a rough tone "What is this??"  I shot a magazine of aluminum 9-mm rounds.  He explained to me (in between bangs from all the other shooters) that anything not brass can likely stick in the barrel and either blow up or at least void my warranty.

I thanked him for the advice and called Beretta USA when I got home and posed the situation to them.  They said any round packaged in boxes would be fine (they frown on loose brass reloads).  Skip the steel case Russian stuff though, as the case is too hard on the firing pin, but Aluminum is soft enough to be fine, they said.

I thanked them for their advice.

So the RO was uninformed (or Beretta USA was wrong about their own product...which do you lean toward?), or he was more concerned with not having non-brass casings in the big bin that they sell in bulk to someone else (reloaders, I suppose).  From what I hear, even a few non-brass cases present in the load will reduce the value of the load.

I can understand the logic and the economics, but don't throw me a BS story about things blowing up.

Skip the steel case Russian stuff though, as the case is too hard on the firing pin, but Aluminum is soft enough to be fine, they said.

The firing pin hits the primer, not the case, so the material of the shell should have no effect on the firing pin.  They may have been making a comment about the primers.

A few months back I was shooting there on a Friday night with my new (at the time) xds 4.0.

A young RO came to me and asked what I was shooting, so I dropped the mag and locked the slide back to shown him it was empty before I handed it too him....

He then asked "is the barrel supposed to tilt back like that?"

Any hint of him saying that being a joke?

Nope he called over another RO. The other guy knew right away and made fun if him.

Also, I was Shooting lead nosed 38 ammo, picked it up pretty cheap, and he told me to stop shooting it until he checked, and again, the other guy said it was ok.

THIS

Hope you didn't try to get any extra clips too

in the army we refer firearms as weapons or weapon systems. cus that's what they are. I've enver called it an "M4 firearm" we always called it the "M4 weapon system" so old habits die hard. sorry, not sorry

A few months back I was shooting there on a Friday night with my new (at the time) xds 4.0.

A young RO came to me and asked what I was shooting, so I dropped the mag and locked the slide back to shown him it was empty before I handed it too him....

He then asked "is the barrel supposed to tilt back like that?"

Seriously???   YIkes.

Seriously??? YIkes.

Dead serious .

I went again last Friday, and this time there was an older RO so I was thrilled .

Except when about 3 of his buddies showed up and they felt as if they owned the place.

I still shoot there occasionally (i.e. when the weather is bad or it's dark) but the deal breaker for me was when members lost priority on the range queue.  What's the point of being a member if I have to wait an hour behind Lakewood gang bangers and greenhorns who will inevitably flag me a few times during my session?  In the time I wait in the queue behind them while they fill out all the paperwork I could have shot my single box and already be home watching Walker Texas Ranger reruns.

I pay as I go at SS now and only shoot on a Tuesday or Wednesday afternoon when there is typically no wait. in the now 4 years I've been shooting there I have only witnessed 2 incidents of "improper and/or potentially hazardous" firearm handling.

Both of those incidents were perpetrated by ...me.

Yes, they were early in my new found hobby and I've since mended my ways with several classes and much appreciated tips from veteran shooters.

Maybe I just have excellent timing but I've shot with LEO's both rookie and short,grandmas and grandpas,armed forces veterans,housewives,dads with their kids and even newbys under RO supervision.... funny, I've yet to encounter any "Gangbangers" or "Greenhorns".......is there a league?

I pay as I go at SS and only shoot on a Tuesday or Wednesday afternoon when there is typically no wait. in the now 4 years I've been shooting there I have only witnessed 2 incidents of "improper and/or potentially hazardous" firearm handling.

Both of those incidents were perpetrated by ...me.

Yes, they were early in my new found hobby and I've since mended my ways with several classes and much appreciated tips from veteran shooters.

Maybe I just have excellent timing but I've shot with LEO's both new and short,grandmas and grandpas,armed forces veterans,housewives,dads with their kids and even newbys under RO supervision.... funny, I've yet to encounter any "Gangbangers" or "Greenhorns".......is there a league?

I have also shot with all those types.  And I like most of the RO's there.  They are good to me.

Anyway, my last visit I was shooting next to gangbangers.  I call them that because of the long t-shirts, exposed underwear, DIY tattoos and they're typically more concerned on how their friends think their shooting "steez" looks than their point of impact.  Maybe I'm using the wrong word?

As for greenhorns, typically one dude dragging a lady or two into the range, telling the counter person that they've all "shot here before" and proceeding to flag their neighbors within 5 minutes of entering the range.  I have had handguns pointed at me with fingers in the trigger guard by these people when they turn around to ask a question.  I've also been next to them during a negligent discharge with the handgun aimed cross lane.  I've had the roof directly above the neighboring stall and/or light bulb cage shot up many times and then been flagged when the RO calls cease fire.

These incidents number in the HUNDREDS and almost always happen after regular work hours and/or during the weekend when the crowds are heavy.  The worst of it was after the CT mass shooting when range business surged.  The RO's are good but sometimes there's just too much stupid to go around.

I used to go during the day too and it was good.. One box every other day, in and out in 10 minutes  I've probably shot next to you before.  Unfortunately my work hours don't give me that luxury anymore.  Since I detect some incredulity in your response I think you ought to check it out yourself during "prime time"