Kaiser7

How long should I wait for a .22 backorder?

I wasn't sure where to put this, so I apologize if it's in the wrong forum.

Anyway, back in March someone on the boards posted that Cabela's had bricks of CCI .22lr Minimag for sale. Anyway, I ordered my single brick, and it's still on backorder. I know some people were saying to wait because Cabela's is good at fulfilling these orders fairly quickly, but it's been over a month or so. Should I just keep waiting or cancel my order?

I want the ammo because my gf wants to learn to shoot when the semester is over, but I have no clue when this is coming.

Cabelas had 556 on backorder for me, never fufilled it... but had it back.on there site for.more money. I called up and complained and they said they must of missed my order and sent me the ammo with free shipping. Just a heads up

Good to know, I just contacted customer service, so we'll see. 

I just received a few boxes of ammo that I ordered 6 months ago (not from Cabelas, another online retailer). I emailed them 6 weeks after I placed the order and asked how long it was going to take, they said 12-18 months, so I guess I should consider myself lucky that it only took 6.

Depends on the price (kind of like a free futures contract), if it is a good price I let it ride but if ammo becomes more available or my price is now higher than the market I cancel.

I have waited over a year for .22 and even .243

You've got to be very quick to snag online deals anymore... gone within minutes usually.

If you still don't have any ammo  as the end of the semester nears, I'd just post a "Want to Buy" thread, and perhaps some member here would be nice enough to sell a brick at the cost they paid to help get another firearm enthusiast started.

You can also find .22 at some gun shops, but the price isn't great.  If I recall correctly, Dunklebergers had plenty on their shelves last time I was there.

You've got to be very quick to snag online deals anymore... gone within minutes usually.

If you still don't have any ammo  as the end of the semester nears, I'd just post a "Want to Buy" thread, and perhaps some member here would be nice enough to sell a brick at the cost they paid to help get another firearm enthusiast started.

You can also find .22 at some gun shops, but the price isn't great.  If I recall correctly, Dunklebergers had plenty on their shelves last time I was there.

What's Dunklebergers? Never even heard of them.

This is actually not a bad strategy.  I always stop and ask at LGS just to see if they have any ammo I might need at a reasonable price.  Many times Turner's does and Cheyenne does occasionally.  It never hurts to stop and ask.

I have $600 on backorder from MidwayUSA.  I am also starting to get a little impatient.

First week of January we ordered them.  I have 3 .22s plus my old man got a 597 for Christmas so we have the need.  I found two different decent deals on MidwayUSA who were "overdue" in delivery time, so I ordered a $199 case of Remington Thunderbolts 5000 (I know, I know, I would have nothing to ever do with ANY Remington rimfire ammo let alone Thunderbolts but , desperate times call for desperate measures and its a decent deal) and a $399 case of Federal Premium Gold Medal Target HV 5000 rds .... 

First they were overdue, then it was February sometime, then sometime in early March it went to "Unknown"-"No backorder allowed" and the invoices just sit there.

Some people say they have been waiting since early to mid 2013 while people on another forum post of like 20-30 backorders they've  got filled in the last 1-2 years by MidwayUSA, so who knows I guess.

As I said in the other thread, it sucks because while I want the ammo, $600 over your head hanging sucks- I could buy another guy if I was never going to get that ammo nor spend the money but I can't do BOTH, but if the $600 wouldn't be charged until November anyway, I would be fine.

I have $600 on backorder from MidwayUSA.  I am also starting to get a little impatient.

First week of January we ordered them.  I have 3 .22s plus my old man got a 597 for Christmas so we have the need.  I found two different decent deals on MidwayUSA who were "overdue" in delivery time, so I ordered a $199 case of Remington Thunderbolts 5000 (I know, I know, I would have nothing to ever do with ANY Remington rimfire ammo let alone Thunderbolts but , desperate times call for desperate measures and its a decent deal) and a $399 case of Federal Premium Gold Medal Target HV 5000 rds .... 

First they were overdue, then it was February sometime, then sometime in early March it went to "Unknown"-"No backorder allowed" and the invoices just sit there.

Some people say they have been waiting since early to mid 2013 while people on another forum post of like 20-30 backorders they've  got filled in the last 1-2 years by MidwayUSA, so who knows I guess.

As I said in the other thread, it sucks because while I want the ammo, $600 over your head hanging sucks- I could buy another guy if I was never going to get that ammo nor spend the money but I can't do BOTH, but if the $600 wouldn't be charged until November anyway, I would be fine.

Yeah, I'm a little miffed because I think some people mentioned it coming in for sale again recently, so I feel like they got some on hand, and just sold that off immediately instead of honoring backorders. 

Damn, I'm pissed on a $40 order, and you have $600 tied up. If I had that much tied up, I'd just cancel, and use it towards a Socom. 

If by Socom you mean an M1A Socom-16 then I would very much like to agree with you and compliment you on your good taste lol!

But while I might have a decent-ish stash of .22LR, I definitely wanted to get those two cases.  If NOTHING ELSE I can profit a bit (not gouge but, is there any among us who would say I couldn't turn a buck or two on these in the future?)

But to be more honest, as I said, I have 4 .22LRs now , I haven't shot much AT ALL in 2013 and once so far in '14 because of ammo.  I can no longer buy ammo on the way to the range nor replace it if I shoot from my stash so it's tough to justify fun shooting.

So I would prefer to have the ammo but I agree, at some point, Shoot or get off the pot.

If by Socom you mean an M1A Socom-16 then I would very much like to agree with you and compliment you on your good taste lol!

But while I might have a decent-ish stash of .22LR, I definitely wanted to get those two cases.  If NOTHING ELSE I can profit a bit (not gouge but, is there any among us who would say I couldn't turn a buck or two on these in the future?)

But to be more honest, as I said, I have 4 .22LRs now , I haven't shot much AT ALL in 2013 and once so far in '14 because of ammo.  I can no longer buy ammo on the way to the range nor replace it if I shoot from my stash so it's tough to justify fun shooting.

So I would prefer to have the ammo but I agree, at some point, Shoot or get off the pot.

Yeah I was saving for that (or a mini-30 if I could find a really sweet deal), but I just lost my job, so it looks like that's out of the cards for me any time in the near future. 

I've got a bit of cash still, so I've contemplated just throwing a WTB thread up, just so I can take my gf out shooting. She's really gotten interested in the past few months. I'm not sure if I'm doing it right though, as yesterday she said she thought a Hi-Point carbine looked cool...

...But she also likes the AR-7, so I guess she might have some good taste lol.

But yeah, I want to take her out to shoot, Rosie was kind enough to offer to take us to his range, and teach her (as well as help me), but it's been hard to get the ammo.

I should say--I've had some offers from forum members--as always the people of NJGF are great people always willing to help out. I hadn't "pounced" on their offers only because I thought maybe the backorder would be filled soon, and I sort of felt bad buying off some of their .22 supply, in case they need it. But at this rate, I might just do that lol.

One brick plus shipping = the price of two bricks. You're better off on Armslist. I recently got .22lr for about 8 cents/round, including shipping, and I wasn't limited to quantities I put through my revolver and pistol during a normal week. 

A little update on this, Still waiting on the ammo.

Has anyone else ordered any .22 off Cabelas since March and gotten it, (Or, still have failed to get it)?

I did a few orders since march the blazer brick and the the 300 rd count of i think some kind of cci and got both orders maybe done in april i think 

I did a few orders since march the blazer brick and the the 300 rd count of i think some kind of cci and got both orders maybe done in april i think 

Damn, you got lucky haha.

I emailed them today, they're saying the order is likely to be filled 9/25. 

I thought I posted on this forum the other day,  I guess not. .,,, I think I posted a long rant and deleted it at the end of it because I figured no one cared about my frustrating struggle with them.

They still have not even updated me on my backorders.. nearly $650 in 2 cases of .22LR which were overdue the first week of January.

The guy told me on Tuesday that "it can take FOUR MONTHS!!!! for the orders to get fulfilled!!!!" and I said, oh nice, so when I am going on 7 months, I should then get mad right?  IT CAN TAKE 10 MONTHS!!! for ammo he tells me, lol you just told me 4 months!!!

And that was that.  Half apology half screw-you-be-happy-we-let-you-order it.... And again, it's not chump change.  

I had to change the address because sheesh, we will be selling soon and the last thing I want is my $650 .22LR cases to show up at my "former" doorstep and the neighbors get hooked up.  That took another 20 minutes, just to change the address.

i bought a box of Winchester 22 from Cabelas on 5/27, was backordered and a "tenative arrival" of 6/24..   havent heard anything since i ordered it though..

that said, i have some 9mm on backorder from Midsouth Shooter Supply (blazer brass) since last April..  dont have any hope that it will ever be filled..  (was really cheap at the time, like $11/box)

i bought a box of Winchester 22 from Cabelas on 5/27, was backordered and a "tenative arrival" of 6/24..   havent heard anything since i ordered it though..

update..   i actually got this 22 on 6/25, so they were pretty close with their estimate...

When the crisis hit after Sandy Hook it was hit and miss with everything gun related for awhile, especially ammo.  Things seem to have stabilized except for .22 and particularly if you are picky about brand or price.  I think that will sort itself out by the end of the year, but in the meantime you need some patience and to be shopping around.

I have also left orders sitting with online retailers for considerable periods of time.  The reputable ones will not ding your credit card until they are shipping.  At this point if I see something on backorder at two different online retailers, I'll place both orders.  With ammo I'll eventually use it if both deliver.

I don't believe in backorders for .22lr; they're meaningless. When the stuff comes in -- if it comes in -- you are limited to one or two units, which when you add shipping doubles the price. You're better off going through Armslist -- without the B.S. of "backorder."

I got two notices from Sportsman's Guide the other day. Evidently this ammo has been "discontinued." Just like the Ely, CCI, and other brands I've been waiting for from S.G. since November, 2012.

22lr40solidcenturion-500-b_1.jpg

I ordered CCI from Cabelas in February and it said it was backordered until July. I got it end of June.

What was the price per round, delivered? No cheating, "Well I bought $800 worth of other stuff so the shipping didn't matter."