diamondd817

Cherry Ridge (ANJRPC) Range - Big Thumbs Down

Again, my biggest issue is them shutting down the handgun range for a half day for the police. It is done way too often during the week. If you don't go early on weekdays you probably have no idea what I'm talking about. For me its a huge inconvenience, especially since I'm a paying member and im sure the police contribute nothing.

While I'm mostly a big fan of the place (see my post in another CR thread), I can certainly understand your frustration.

That handgun range is huge.  Couldn't they just reserve part of it for the police, and leave some of it open to the members?

While I'm mostly a big fan of the place (see my post in another CR thread), I can certainly understand your frustration.

That handgun range is huge. Couldn't they just reserve part of it for the police, and leave some of it open to the members?

Agreed. The one time I was there they had the entire handgun range shut down for 8 cops. I bet members of RTSP and GFH ranges wouldn't put up that shit.

I agree thats about my only gripe is the shutting down ranges for non paying police depts.. Make them pay or let them go somewhere else. Pffft

I also agree that for the price its a great deal. Nice grounds, Scott is a great guy, Long range rifle and all the other amenities.

As much as I always support and stand behind CR, I have to agree. Shutting down ranges to it's members -anytime- is BS... Years ago when I only had weekends to get there, I often got pist when I went and found things shut entirely down. People sometimes can only go weekends and that right there is reason to be frustrated. What they ought to do is create a small area for quals. Too many to qual? Tuff, take turns. After all, we have to wait if it's crowded.

Sent from my iPad 2 using T2 Pro

If it wa a match for both members and nonmembers wouldn't this be the same thing thy should put out a schedule so everyone knows when there will be a closure. Also are all the ranges closed or can you still shoot certain things. Sorry I am not familiar with CR.

First I agree that any range should never be 100% closed to members other than Family Day and the work weekends, just wrong given the differant schedules members deal with. However CR is not just a members only range. It is the flagship range for the ANJRPC and has a Mission Statement that in short means it offers and promotes other "community" shooting events. But once again the adminisration is lacking in good judgement by the closures. I suggest at the least send emails regarding our displeasure. The more the better, they may actually listen I think the powers that be lately are modernizing a bit, membership issuesat least for me have been getting quickly answered and resolved.

That handgun range is huge.  Couldn't they just reserve part of it for the police, and leave some of it open to the members?

Was I hallucinating the day I got there and saw cops beyond the red line on blankets, etc? That might be a reason not to open the pistol range when LEO are there. I dunno, maybe it was a target change. 

Also, they don't pay? If they don't, consider it a bribe of sorts for them leaving us alone. A state cop might make a very nice living trolling Cannistear Rd. on a weekend morning.

My solution is always have something to shoot. I can have an enjoyable couple of hours emptying boxes of .22s on the plinking range. 

Again, my biggest issue is them shutting down the handgun range for a half day for the police. It is done way too often during the week. If you don't go early on weekdays you probably have no idea what I'm talking about. For me its a huge inconvenience, especially since I'm a paying member and im sure the police contribute nothing.

They close down only one range, it's generally just three hours, it's rather infrequent, and they list closings a year beforehand in the ANJRPC Bulletin. An email reminder might be nice but we're not in third grade are we?

I go almost exclusively on weekdays, have been there about 30 times this past year, and I've encountered LEO closings exactly once. My fault for not looking at the bulletin on my end table. 

How are you "sure" they don't pay? Even if they don't, think of it as a tiny little bribe. 

Again, I know to look on the schedule. I do look at the schedule and call the hotline. I don't go without knowing. My problem is that work dictates what days I have off. So when I have a day off and the range is closed that day to paying members for non paying non members it pisses me off. Again, being a paying member, I want to go at my convienence.

BTW, it is fairly frequent and the range gets closed from 8:30-12:30. Bribe the police for what? They are not on our side. And I am sure they do not pay anything.

Again, I know to look on the schedule. I do look at the schedule and call the hotline. I don't go without knowing. My problem is that work dictates what days I have off. So when I have a day off and the range is closed that day to paying members for non paying non members it pisses me off. Again, being a paying member, I want to go at my convienence.

BTW, it is fairly frequent and the range gets closed from 8:30-12:30. Bribe the police for what? They are not on our side. And I am sure they do not pay anything.

I don't know how/why you are "sure." Maybe we should check with ANJRPC. I think CR has a "mission" to serve the community. You knew when you joined, right, and that the pistol range was down about 2% of the time due to "police activity," and a couple of weekends due to family day and maintenance. Correct?

RTSP opens at 10 am, CR at 8:30 but RTSP is open later. I assume you mostly shoot during the day and prefer not to get your eardrums cracked open by 17 shooters chucking .45s downrange every 10th of a second indoors.

Last time I heard someone (in person) diss CR for having "too many rules" I thought, "thank God for too many rules." Same here. You have to appreciate the incredible natural beauty, the club atmosphere, the fact that you can lose yourself in shooting and forget you live in the worst fukcen state in the Union, and not be in a corporate atmosphere. 

Johnny Law practicing SWAT exercises every couple of weeks is a small price to pay. 

As I've posted before, whenever I go I'm prepared. I always have my shotgun, a couple of .22s, as well as the 9s and .357s. I'll soon include some other goodies. There's always something there for me.

First I agree that any range should never be 100% closed to members other than Family Day and the work weekends, just wrong given the differant schedules members deal with. However CR is not just a members only range. It is the flagship range for the ANJRPC and has a Mission Statement that in short means it offers and promotes other "community" shooting events. But once again the adminisration is lacking in good judgement by the closures. I suggest at the least send emails regarding our displeasure. The more the better, they may actually listen I think the powers that be lately are modernizing a bit, membership issuesat least for me have been getting quickly answered and resolved.

CR is never "100% closed" except on family day and work weekends. You can shoot .22s, air rifles, rifles, and shotguns even during the bi-monthly convocation of the Sons of the Order of United Police Swat Team Civilian Assault Heroes.  

Every human activity has parameters. One guy here brags about shooting in his back yard. I can't do that. Boo hoo. 

RTSP opens at 10 am, CR at 8:30 but RTSP is open later. I assume you mostly shoot during the day and prefer not to get your eardrums cracked open by 17 shooters chucking .45s downrange every 10th of a second indoors

RTSP is open @ 8am on the weekends 8-10am members only. I usually don't have to wait if I get there between 8-9am. Yeah its loud I wear double ear protection when I'm there. The new side 15 yard range is much quieter than the 25 yard range I will say. They insulated the Walls so it dampens the noise more. Handgun only on the 15 yard side so no AR's with muzzle breaks over there. I don't cry about the noise sometimes I'm there testing a rifle build myself. Normally I only shoot handguns there. I usually go during the week if I have an early day, its less crowded. And members have port priority on weekdays, I've never had to wait ever for a port weekdays.

RTSP is open @ 8am on the weekends 8-10am members only. I usually don't have to wait if I get there between 8-9am. Yeah its loud I wear double ear protection when I'm there. The new side 15 yard range is much quieter than the 25 yard range I will say. They insulated the Walls so it dampens the noise more. Handgun only on the 15 yard side so no AR's with muzzle breaks over there. I don't cry about the noise sometimes I'm there testing a rifle build myself. Normally I only shoot handguns there. I usually go during the week if I have an early day, its less crowded. And members have port priority on weekdays, I've never had to wait ever for a port weekdays.

I am very fond of RTSP. Lovely facilities, friendly staff, nice window-shopping. Been there 6-7 times and would go again if CR were not as close, and outdoors. I doubt I'd go as frequently as I go to CR, however, which is about 30-35 times a year. I've been at CR on days when the mercury is barely over zero. It's wonderful. After shooting that much outdoors I could never take an hour of getting my eardrums blown out indoors. 

I am very fond of RTSP. Lovely facilities, friendly staff, nice window-shopping. Been there 6-7 times and would go again if CR were not as close, and outdoors. I doubt I'd go as frequently as I go to CR, however, which is about 30-35 times a year. I've been at CR on days when the mercury is barely over zero. It's wonderful. After shooting that much outdoors I could never take an hour of getting my eardrums blown out indoors.

Thats understandable to me.

If i shoot outside I go up to Flatbrook, and shoot .22, 12g, and the .50 muzzle loader. Its $26 for my hunting license for the year and it never closes to licenced hunters so cops can practice. The range is usually empty weekdays, & its about the same distance for me to drive to Flatbrook as it is to CR from Lk. Hopatcong.

For the bigger guns outdoors, I drive to Ft. Dix. I had a bad experience at CR once, beautiful range just poorly managed IMO. Maybe its better now, been years since I visited it last.

where is flatbrook?

Layton Twp. Turn off of route 206 towards Dingmans Bridge but keep going past where you turn to actually go over the bridge you run right smack into Flatbrook WMA. Past the rifle range is the Wallpack Inn. Its basically in the middle of nowhere, but no center fire rifles allowed and one person in your party must have a valid NJ hunting license. Rimfire, blackpowder, air rifle, & shotgun are all permitted. The range is 75 yards and you bring your own targets.

Thats understandable to me.

If i shoot outside I go up to Flatbrook, and shoot .22, 12g, and the .50 muzzle loader. Its $26 for my hunting license for the year and it never closes to licenced hunters so cops can practice. The range is usually empty weekdays, & its about the same distance for me to drive to Flatbrook as it is to CR from Lk. Hopatcong.

For the bigger guns outdoors, I drive to Ft. Dix. I had a bad experience at CR once, beautiful range just poorly managed IMO. Maybe its better now, been years since I visited it last.

I used to shoot clays and .22s up there in the mid-1990s, and hunt pheasant as well. Nice change of pace. Maybe I'll see if wifey wants to go one day.

I used to shoot clays and .22s up there in the mid-1990s, and hunt pheasant as well. Nice change of pace. Maybe I'll see if wifey wants to go one day.

Your close also its probably a 20 min ride from your town. I would probably go more often if it were a little closer to me. I'm in Sussex County but only a mile from the Morris county line. RTSP is just easier for me, my business is based in Randolph makes it easy for me to leave my shop and hit the range.

I understand. RTSP is a schlepp for me, like CR is for you. 

I have a feeling I can get my newbie wife to Flatbrook under the pretense of hiking. I'll try it tonight after a glass or two of wine and let you know how it goes.

BTW, last time I was there, around 1997, my hunting partner told me that "chukas" were in season and/or flying through. It was the coldest day in decades, at least -10 F. All we saw that day that remotely looked alive was bear poo-poo.

I challenge the OP to find a better OUTDOOR range, for less money, within 1.5 hours of Northern NJ.

I challenge the OP to find another organization that holds a candle to the work ANJRPC is doing in favor of firearms owners in NJ.

Driving 3 hours into PA doesn't count.

Go ahead, we'll wait.

Prices have gone up, because costs of maintenance has gone up.

More ranges, with longer distances than any other club, automatic bird throwers, steel targets(in progress),

I challenge the OP to find a better OUTDOOR range, for less money, within 1.5 hours of Northern NJ.

I challenge the OP to find another organization that holds a candle to the work ANJRPC is doing in favor of firearms owners in NJ.

Go ahead, we'll wait.

More ranges, with longer distances than any other club, automatic bird throwers, steel targets(in progress), and the nicest grounds of any range I've been to.

Prices have gone up because the cost of fighting for our constitutional freedoms has gone up.

Regardless, I dare you to try and find the same quality range for a similar cost.

My range is 12 minutes from my house in warren county and membership is $20.00 a year. Nobody cares what you do or shoot as long as you clean up after yourself. Wanna pack a watermelon full of tannerite, go for it......they go boom!

ame="DTtuner" post="874804" timestamp="1399382329"]I challenge the OP to find a better OUTDOOR range, for less money, within 1.5 hours of Northern NJ.

Go ahead, we'll wait.

More ranges, wits it open forh longer distances than any other club, automatic bird throwers, steel targets(in progress),

My range is 12 minutes from my house in warren county and membership is $20.00 a year. Nobody cares what you do or shoot as long as you clean up after yourself. Wanna pack a watermelon full of tannerite, go for it......they go boom!

What is the name of your range Eric?  Is it open for membership?

It means, that the range is half full of NJ shooters already, and if we tell everyone in NJ about it, before you know it, it will be just as crowded, expensive and over regulated as Cherry Ridge. ;)

Tom - We'll talk!  I think you are referring to the wrong range.

It's like Fight Club......    we don't talk about Fight Club

But your talking about it... nothing worse then when someone tells you about this great place and then refuses to disclose anything about it. But, in fairness I'm sure if you looked hard enough you would find it..

It's hard to follow who said what and who's quoting whom in this thread.

From the way OakRidge mentioned "NJ shooters" this mystery range is probably in PA. Unless he flies a helicopter "twelve minutes from my house in Warren County" means one of four areas: Stroudsburg, Easton, or whatever they call the area across the river from Belividere. The ranges near Stroud are probably more than 12 minutes from, say, Columbia. Shongum, in NJ, is the fourth possibility based on distance but I know it charges much more than $20/yr, there's a waiting list, and probably has as many "rules" as CR.

My best guess is this "range" is a tree stump in a field next to an abandoned ketchup factory, just across the bridge from Belvidere, where there's some kind of "Land Management Area." The $20 is for a basic PA hunting license. Actually it's $20.70